Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeedeedee

His Name is Nick.

chickadeedeedee
15 years ago

And he better NOT DEVELOP GLAUCOMA as he recovers from his concussion!
{{gwi:171400}}

Look familiar? Yep. He's in the same oxygen tank as was Barry. And why would that be? The very same lady who brought Barry to me found this bunny in the road and brought him in today! Déjà vu, no?!?!?!

His eyes are not as bloodshot as mine. That is just the reflection in the photograph.

He was hit by a car and was unconscious when we first met. Nick got steroids, dextrose and fluids IV and got put into the oxygen tank. Within 15 minutes he was standing but had nystagmus, that is to say his eyes are moving horizontally ... back and forth ... due to brain swelling. Nick continued getting oxygen throughout the day and is now getting the O2 at home.

He still has the nystagmus but it is much decreased and at times ceases. His bunny brain is a little rattled at the moment. He is able to eat his clover flowers, strawberries, cherries, alfalfa sprouts and Keebler Vanilla Wafers. (Lots of those cookies in the wild, dontchaknow?)

Nick got his steroids, pain medication, antibiotics for the night and will continue on oxygen supplementation until he says he can do without. I would much rather have had his nystagmus been stopped by now but what do I know? A little bunny VS a big car ...? Not a good thing.

Well ... CRAP! Guess we need to keep the Camp Nappy Birdy and Bunny Bed and Breakfast open for a bit longer now. Same thing ... different day ... As Nick recovers he will pay a visit to the ophthalmologist before getting released. I think his stay may be for a while due to the severity of his concussion.

Ya just never know who will check in here do you?

Comments (13)

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Keep up the humor, and best of luck with the new camper. He looks pretty comfy!
    S

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Bless widdle heart. I hope he has a full recovery.

• catherinet
    15 years ago

oops.......left out "his" widdle heart.

• jeanner
    15 years ago

He looks quite comfy in his oxygen chamber! So does this woman drive around looking for poor souls to bring to you? Bless you both.

And what's the latest on Barry? Did he go to the ophthalmologist?

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nick is doing fantastic today! No nystagmus and he's enjoying his stay here so far. LOL! The lady who rescued Nick and Barry is a 113% sweetheart!

Camp Nappy real life got in the way of Barry's recheck. We hope to take both Barry and Nick in to the ophthalmologist next week ... ( In our spare time LOL!!!!!!) .... As far as we can tell Barry is home free to go! :-)

• youreit
    15 years ago

Awww, hi, Nick! *waving and blowing kisses* What a snuggle bunny, literally! :D SO glad to hear he's doing great! And Barry, too!

Can't wait to hear how everything goes next week. :)

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    15 years ago

Chicka, you're such a special lady. IMHO there's a place ready for you in heaven... in the animal emergency wing! You know, the birds that collide with airplanes and such! And you'll meet all your darlings there that you so lovingly take care of here on earth. Good luck to Nick... he's older than the baby bunnies so I have my hopes up!

Lots of kisses for little Nick!

:) Mary

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO! x 13!

Nick is awesome! He passed his eye exam with flying colours! He is only still with us now because there are storms predicted for tonight and tomorrow morning. Nick wants to leave in spite of his vanilla wafer and cherry diet. :-)

Tomorrow he will leave us and the lady who brought him to us will be the one to release him back to the area where he was rescued. She (and we) are delighted! Because Nick had a severe concussion there will always be the possibility he will have seizures. That may happen tomorrow or in 50 years or any where in between. I cannot predict if or when that would happen.

In the mean time ... Nick wants to be a wild bunny and live free so we will honour his wishes and the rest is up to God. Live free, safe and happy dear Nick!
    LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET!!!

C.N.

• youreit
    15 years ago

WONDERFUL news!!! Nick, we sure will miss you, but I bet you're much more handsome with a backdrop of greenery than with a blue towel. :D

Stay safe, little man!! *KISSES and such*

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    15 years ago

*keeping my fingers crossed for Nick*

Go Nick go! Into the green world! Not the blacktop color parts!

:) Mary

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dearest Nick is gone. He ran off into the wilds of the soybean fields near the road where he was found. No Thanks! or See ya later, Dudette... .... Just GONE! LOL!

Didn't even stick around long enough for a decent photo of his parole. ~SIGH!~

Bye, Nick. Stay safe! :-)

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Congrats on the successful release CDDD!!!

• jeanner
    15 years ago

"HOME SWEET HOME" Mr. Nick!!

And how did Barry do at the doctors??