Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Need to move my online pics!

youreit
16 years ago

Well, Yahoo photos is closing down next month, and I have to choose a place to have them moved. At least I don't have to move them myself. I had nightmares thinking about moving them all while using dial-up. LOL

So, I have 5 choices. Two of them, I've already pretty much decided I won't use - Kodak Gallery & Snapfish. Out of the remaining 3 - Flickr (Yahoo affiliate), Photobucket, & Shutterfly - I'm leaning toward Shutterfly.

BUT (Thanks, buddies! :D

Brenda

Comments (24)

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

Hi Brenda.

We use Photobucket. That is the only site we have tried. It's very easy, uploads pictures quickly and there's lots of options to resize your photographs. They have a forum to ask questions or look up some information if you need some help.

Their customer service has been OUTSTANDING for me. They did some upgrades and I couldn't upload new photographs. There must have been 15 or so e mails exchanged between us to get to the root of the problem and ultimately a very quick solve. After that there was even a very nice follow up e mail to see if everything was OK. It wasn't a pre scripted form letter either. We had the help of real people! :-)

I don't know about the other sites. Maybe they are better than Photobucket but we're happy with it.

my 13¢ worth..... C3D

• scottspond
    16 years ago

I use Photobucket. I tend to stay away from anything Yahoo! related. Flickr, well, It might be the next MySpace.

Scott

• sheepco
    16 years ago

I use photobucket, and while it was slow with dial up - could take 15 to 45 minutes to upload 3 or so pictures at once (I found loading one at a time faster) - it works great with DSL. Nice to know about the tech service C3D, thanks, I've not had any experience in that area.

I have a close friend that uses Shutterfly and likes it, and I have ordered note cards from her album (nice quality), but I can't compare pros and cons for you.

Sorry not more help! S

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

I have dial up and a 3 pic. Photobucket upload takes about one to two minutes. It used to be painfully slow before they did a bunch of upgrades.

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Well i cant help you at all dear Brenda. I dont have a digital camera yet so i cant put anything up. When i get one though y'all better look out! :-) I dont have a pond yet either :-( ~~~Im a pond wannaber, but someday and then y'all better look out! LOL.....Someday im going to have a lot of stuff, hopefully, Bonnie

• comettose
    16 years ago

Is Photobucket unlimited storage space for the free account?

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

well, maybe not unlimited, but all i had to do was say, ok move them to photobucket, and it was done automatically for me. i didn't have to load them at all.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That would be the only limiting factor in my choice, it appears - not having unlimited space.

Lately, I've just been using TinyPic.com (Photobucket affiliate) to share new images online, and I store all of my pics on my computer. The old ones on Yahoo are smaller in size, and I don't usually access them, but there are a LOT of them. A future project will be getting them offline, back under my control. But with dial-up, everything is a chore. LOL

Once I give Yahoo the go-ahead to move them, I'm stuck, so if I have too many pics (due to limits on storage space), then I don't know what will happen.

I'm making it more complicated than I have to, I bet. LOL Thanks so much for your input, everyone! I'll wait a bit longer before making my choice, in case anyone else has advice for me. :)

Also, I agree that anything Yahoo is dangerous. LOL I'm concerned that Shutterfly will be a resource hog as I've found Flickr to be (i.e., it takes a long time for other people's images to load when I want to view them on the actual website...) Photobucket has always been the quickest to load for me.

Brenda

• lefd05
    16 years ago

I've used Photobucket for years. Its easy and you can store tons of pictures with the free account. I've never ran out of space.
    If you have problems, their forum is quite helpful and other users can walk you through difficulties.
    The only problem that I've ever really had with them is sometime back they upgraded their site and it was no longer very Mac friendly. I had to make an upgrade in OS and they also made some changes because they had Mac users screaming at them. LOL!
    I'm very happy with Photobucket.

• sheepco
    16 years ago

I forgot to add that I've never tried any others. I chose photobucket cause most everyone here was using it. And again, my slow dial up downloads were 3 or 4 months ago. Glad to hear they've made it faster for dial-up users...it was agonizally slow before! (Seriously, I could do a load of laundry-washed, dried, and folded while my 'puter loaded 4 photos)

(Quite frankly EVERYthing about my old dial-up was slow!)

:) S

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

it did say you can redownload them to your pc.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, so far, it sounds like PB is the way to go!

FTM, I read that, too, on Yahoo. Unfortunately, after researching that option, they do state that you have to download each image, one-by-one. We started doing that at FIL's house with DSL, but we gave up after about 20 pics. LOL

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll make sure to have a couple cocktails first, loosen up my mouse finger. :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

yikes! i couldnt' take it. photobucket drives me insane half the time, so i definitely COULD NOT TAKE IT :)

lets hear it for carpal tunnel, or tendonitis whichever you prefer.

• comettose
    16 years ago

I use picturetrail but it's not free. It is easy to use though.

• comettose
    16 years ago

Testing to see if this works

• comettose
    16 years ago

Ha ha ha - just said it was easy to use and the embed link didn't work on GW. I made a spinning 3D cube with photos from my garden. First time I used that feature so not sure where to store the code either. LOL

Most people use Photobucket Brenda and it's free. Why don't you post a few photos and see how it works for you. Like you I store all my photos on my computer and a back up CD and use the photo hosting site for putting up picture links mostly. I have a 100MB account.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've tried PB in the past, and I didn't have any issues, CT, so I'll definitely go with them. Thanks for the PictureTrail info. Unfortunately, I'd still have to move my images one by one if I chose that one (with associated carpal tunnel, as FTM said! LOL). Yahoo will move them for me only if I choose one of the original 5 I mentioned.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone!

Brenda

• comettose
    16 years ago

I received the same notice from Yahoo but I don't know why - I don't think I have any photos with them?!?

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

CT, you can find out by going to Yahoo photos ( photos.yahoo.com ) and logging in using your Yahoo email ID. :)

Brenda

• comettose
    16 years ago

The only thinkgI don't like about photobucket is if I get a spare minute or two at work to read a post the photobucket photos never show up there. Only a red x. This has been this way for about 2 years so I rarely log on at work (as it should be of course).

• catherinet
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what to do either. With my new camera, it takes 2 hours to (I have dial-up, unfortunately).
    CT........I never knew I had pics with yahoo either. I just happened onto it one day. I guess what they do is automatically store all the pics you send to people and that they send to you. You just have to find the right button to click to find them.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm, that's weird, Catherine. I've never had Yahoo photos do that before (automatically store all the pics you send to people and that they send to you). I just looked around the site to see if it's a setting, but I couldn't find anything like that. Strange!

I get those boxes sometimes with TinyPic (also a part of PB), and refreshing the page usually helps. Could your workplace have that site blocked or something?

Brenda

• catherinet
    16 years ago

Hi Brenda,
    Look at your Yahoo email page. To the left is stuff like "Inbox", "Sent", etc. Below that is
    "Search Shortcuts" and under that is "my photos" and "my attachments". Do you see it there? If you click on that, all those photos should show up.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, yeah, I never noticed those links before! LOL But...the only images or attachments it shows for me are from emails I haven't deleted yet (like the one I received from CT the other day called New Cat Pictures...LOVE those! LOL). It's kind of an inventory of what you still have in your email folders.

The photos Yahoo is talking about in their emails ("Yahoo! Photos is closing - Action Required") are the ones you might have in the link I provided yesterday. If you haven't uploaded any to the Photos site, then you don't have to worry about moving them. :) They must have sent out that "Action" email to everybody, regardless.

Brenda

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner