Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

FTM, I have toads!!

sleeplessinftwayne
17 years ago

To all you toad lovers. Last week I answered a call on the Ext. Master Gardener Phone line for a lady who needed to get rid of Japanese Beetles without hurting her toads. I gave her what info I could and today I got a call from the Horticultural Agent saying she had called me back. I was worried I didn't give her enough info from what you all have taught me but she called to say her neighbor's children had caught toads for me! I have 10 pretty little toads! They chirruped all the way home. Now I want to let them go in the best possible way so I will get more little toads from now on.

Should I release them all in the same location or should I divvy them up in different areas? I have a cutting garden in what little sun there is with lots of hostas and bird bath basins on the ground. I have been chopping up last years leaves for mulch. The other half of the front yard is a woodland garden. Loads of hosta, Pachysandra and ferns. I can add a small water feature such as a pondless waterfall or more bird basins. It's really shady. The back yard has the pond, of course but I haven't put in a shallows/beach area yet. There is a huge amount of winter creeper and some hosta and ivy to hide in. Of course the raccoons come there most every night. Lots of shade. Should I put 3 in each area or all in the same place or what? Sandy

Comments (14)

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

it sounds like toad heaven, sandy!!! kudos for sandy!!!!

i personally have never found a toad stay in my yard. i don't do anything right...though try at times. they do love long grassy areas also. the shallow basins seem to attract them in spring for breeding also. i bet you have loads of loose till for them to winter burrow in! a cool, covered depression in the ground seems to be a preference during hot weather, also. at work, there was a hole about 1' deep left over from some electrical work. there was just enough ledge on the inside. it was covered with plywood...and in the grass. this huge, i would say must have been a female, rested in there every day. another one hangs out in the moist areas by the downspout.

one of these days i am going to build a hibernaculum...i think if my neighbors weren't so determined to have manicured lawns...or dh...i would have more toads.

yeahhhhhhh, sandy! oh, i'd say they would spread out on their own..but you may be quicker at finding themn the "perfect" home in your yard- just in case there is a wrong turn.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/dep/greenman/toads.pdf#search='toad%20hibernaculum'

a pipe version i have never read: http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?issueID=109&articleID=1374

Here is a link that might be useful: this is the one i remember!

• youreit
    17 years ago

Yeah! What FTM said about depressions in the ground, etc., is so true.

My folks have tons of frogs this year, but they've also had many toads show up (and stay, growing to be TOADS with a capital T...LOL) throughout the years. The toads love to hide out under a large slab of concrete which the mulberry roots have pushed up (you all MAY remember the story of my mom's "laundry basket luge"...thanks to that slab of concrete).

The water from the sprinklers keeps it cool and damp under the slab during the HOT N. California summers. They really pack themselves into that area, too. :D

Congrats and good luck on your new wildlife, Sandy!

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

I keep finding a toad in the mulch pile. I mean, was. Finished spreading the mulch yesterday... and I've been scooping real carefully, there were garter snakes in it as well. And at least one chipmunk.

I now have small piles of mulch in various places, also a nice damp garage floor, upside down broken flower pots, etc etc, but i never really see them there. So I don't know where my toad moved to, but I saw a toad poopie on the driveway today. Yes, I picked it apart, true pond forum member fashion, it had lots of beetle parts in it - including Japanese beetle shields! So, why is this woman giving you her toads? If she wants to get rid of beetles?

:) Mary

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

"Yes, I picked it apart, true pond forum member fashion"-- somehow i feel a line from Anne of Green Gables *coming upon me!

*i did it!

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL!! If the !@#% don't fit, you must acquit! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yay!!! @ FTM's html skills! :D

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, Mary. The toads didn't come from her yard. The neighbor's children have access to a boggy area on their way home from school. These were close to the road. Gee, school started early this year. Sandy

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

I hope the kids took some home as well!

Btw, Sandy (et all), Sharon (Norah S) is having her first spine surgery today. she gave me a hospital email link - I'll start a separate post for it. She'll love getting mail.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sent an e-mail as soon as I saw it. I hope it got through. I'm happy to hear others had the same problems I had with the form. You'd think people who write them would try them out to make sure they work correctly. Sandy

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

I still don't get the Anne of Green Gables reference. This could be of course because I know more stories about little boys with their fingers in dikes... and I don't have an html link?

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

sorry mary...i just coulnd't think of the line. referring to your inspection...i believe you are a "kindred spirit" or a "bosom friend." something like that.

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Ooooo! I like the bossom part. Promising of bear hugs in the future!

PS I have a few more frog pictures to add to my "Bear with me while I.." thread in the photogallery. Frogs and other critters.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

and i had a visitor! see? i am still excited about "my" toad. :)

have they stuck around, sandy?

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't know about the ones I put in the front yard but I hear the ones in the back at night. I don't really expect to see them until next year since they were so small and the ground cover so thick. I'm trying to get as much leaf mulch down as I can but with the weak back it is slow going. There are a couple of large broken branches in the yard and I'm going to move them to the wooded area to give them a perch and shelter. Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

take your time as you can, sandy. glad you have a plan.