Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryo_nh

Sharon (Norah S) can get email in the hospital

maryo_nh
17 years ago

Pieces of Sharon's emails this week. I asked about how long and visits etc. The first surgery was today.

I. "I'll be in the hospital beginning on Friday, and you can email me by using this form on the hospital web site.

http://www.nebh.caregroup.org/sites/nebh/home.asp

Or phone and ask for my room.

If I get a lot of emails, maybe they will let me use a hospital laptop."

II. "You can email me in the hospital, but until I have a laptop I will be unable to reply (except by phone). I think by day 3 I should be ok for visitors. Much is unknown and will depend on how I recover. I might go home for a few days in between, or stay in rehab. I think I will want to be home with the critters and pond (and Hubby, of course!) We shall see. It would be lovely to see you while I'm in there, especially if I stay through!"

So I'll send some emails, check with her DH a few times, and maybe make a field trip to Boston to see her (with a bouquet of WH's, heehee).

I'm sure she'd love email from everybody though.

:) Mary

Comments (32)

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

uhoh. i don't know her last name! what a great program.

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

"i don't know her last name!"

Remember her previous user ID before Spike forced her to change it because of mentioning Greg Bickal's pond construction CD? Or just remember what Kermit says! Why do I get the feeling that I'm playing the Hollywood Pyramid?! LOL!

Best wishes on a speedy and full recovery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Or perhaps this archived thread might help...

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL @ Fig eye! It ain't easy bein' Sharon right about now. :)

Thanks so much for posting that info, Mary. You're such a great lady.

Brenda

• jeanner
    17 years ago

I'm not having any luck getting their "email to patient" to work. Any body else able to do it?

• youreit
    17 years ago

I was able to email her, Jean. Not sure if the site was having problems at the time you tried or not. I emailed her yesterday right after posting here.

Brenda

• jeanner
    17 years ago

Brenda, did it have an online form to use or did it open your default email program? I've stopped downloading my email and just leave it on the server so I don't have an email program installed, just wondering if that might be the problem. I did take a quick look at there code and it didn't seem to use a sendx command though. I'll try again.

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Jean, try clicking on "News and Publications" in the bar, then on "Email a Patient." That worked for me when nothing else would. In case it doesn't work for you, I told her you said get well soon, too. Oy! I made up a quote! I truly are no longer a jer-nalist!

-- Z

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

" I did take a quick look at there code and it didn't seem to use a sendx command though. "

GEEEZ techies! :-)

I didn't look at their code but I DID notice that the email form must have been put togetether by someone other than an I.T. guru. I didn't enter anything in the "salutation" field which was suppose to be optional and it came back and it said that I had left something blank. It then asked for the room number which wasn't in the original form. So I just entered "???". When I previewed the message, it decided to add its own salutation to the text I had entered so it became something like "Dear sharon, Sharon,". Echo in the hospital.

Anyway, hopefully somebody with some common sense working the server will just pass it along. Otherwise MaryO, please do so on our behalf.

• jeanner
    17 years ago

Using IE I was in an endless loop, it kept saying "Thank you! Please press the top, left hand Email A Patient link to send more email." I think it was the pop-blocker that was the problem even though I allowed pop-ups for the site. And I think I know why but I don't want to BORE Semper with the details :^)

I finally got in using Opera.

It's pretty cool though to be able to send email to someone in the hospital.

• youreit
    17 years ago

I was using IE, but I don't use the pop-up blocker. At least you got it figured out!

LOL @ the hospital echo. I had that same problem! I left the default "Dear", but they didn't tell me they were going to put "Sharon" in there for me. Hilarious. She gonna think we all be drunk 'n shtuff.

Hope SharonSharon is doing great!

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

*gigglegiggle*
    She's a smart girl, I bet she has already figured out the email program throws random extra greetings in... "Hihi deardear sharonsharon, [message], bye sincerely get well soon!" *
    I don't know a room number either. And her DH didn't pick up the phone last night (of course he's in Boston, visiting! Duh!). I left a message. I hope he understands who I am, I never met him...

For visiting, I'm keeping my eyes on a WH that's ALMOST blooming... all I need is a shallow dish...

Btw, savvy folks, me, I can use my own computer for many things just fine, thank you, but, I don't know what IE is or how to look at whose code (and this sounds SO almost indecent to me!) and even if I did, I don't know what I'd be seeing? But my email went through fine.

I'm hoping she gets so many emails that they get exasperated and bring her a laptop.

*Ahhh... this reminds me of our famous repeating thread... I copied that one. I have to read it again.*

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL It's ok, Mary. It's "code" for the browser Internet Explorer. It always seems to make a difference in what you can or can't see online...or what works and what doesn't. :D

I don't remember the repeating thread! Of course, it could have been before I found this joint. :)

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The repeating thread wasn't that long ago. Of course it wasn't called that. I'll see if I can locate it, maybe I can email it to you for your entertainment.

IE: So, I just changed to Firefox. I wonder if that makes a difference.

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Was it the one that Horton had started last winter pointing out the FAQ section? I tried to search for it just now but it appears that it has already vanished. You'd think that with 67 pages of archives it would still be there.

• maryo_nh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

YES! Semper, that's the one! I just searched my Word documents, but we have just changed to a new computer - there is stuff I can't find. I thought for sure I had saved it, it was making me laugh so hard.

I'm still looking.

• youreit
    17 years ago

OHHH, I remember now! That was hilarious! I'd love to see that one again.

And it could be the Firefox, Mary. Although, I haven't had any issues with IE.

Brenda

• jeffahayes
    17 years ago

Dang, I'd not only be MIA on this forum for some time, but had some 'puter problems, to boot, and was working on them, which ended up with me giving up and doing a reformat/restore of my original system on this computer about the time the last post was made here prior to this one... I REMEMBER Sharon talking to me about the surgery in an email, but it had totally slipped my mind it was NOW... and I see no new posts here in more than a week...

Sooooo -- any updates??? She back home? If not, how do I reach her at the horsepittel? Can I email, call, yell REALLY LOUDLY??? :)

Enquiring minds REALLY need to know!

And I reckon I'll need to send her a personal email, too, apologizing for my tardiness in checking up on her.

Sure hope she's doing well!
    Jeff

• maryo_nh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Update:
    Last Thursday - wow! That's a week ago already! - I stopped by the hospital on my way to pick up people at the airport. I didn't stay too long, Sharon seemed uncomfortable, they had just helped her turn over onto her other side...

She said she had been getting emails from forum folks, it made her day. She did not say if she was going to go home in between surgeries, but the surgeon - if I understood it correctly - had been able to do more than was expected, so that was good news. I think the second surgery is/was this week, I have to look it up. I think that info is at the end of her birthday message, maybe.

Thanks, Jeff, for bumping this post up to the top, it reminds us to send some more email! If you go to the link in the first message on this thread, you can send email to a patient. A volunteer brings it to the patients every day.

And feel free to yell really loudly !

• jeffahayes
    17 years ago

Hmmmm, Mary, I'm starting to think if I got my little bullyfrogs to help, it might JUST carry all the way to Beantown.

Although they still had tails just two months ago, they've been FED WELL, and are now probably as big or bigger than a green frog ever gets (would cover the palm of your hand, easily), and have been doing VARIOUS croaks and other sounds for some time, though none of them are the characteristic mating croak for which bullfrogs are known.

One JUST sort of CHEEPED at me, rather loudly as I was reading your post. I turned around and wheeled the chair over that way, and it was sitting in the water, half on the rock, kinda givin' me a dirty look like it's feeding time, but I just gave them 6 big night crawlers between them last night, and that oughta hold 'em for another day or so.

One night when it was an hour or so past "usual" feeding time, I was sitting here at the computer and suddenly heard two loud, low croaks... wheeled around and looked and the larger of the two was sitting on the nearest edge of that big rock hunched up and leaning forward, like it was trying to make itself look as BIG as possible, looking DIRECTLY at me... I wheeled over and talked to it for a minute and it just sat there... I think it was making some sort of "territorial statement," or something... Funny, though, if I STAND UP and walk up to the aquarium, even with food, they HIDE, lol.

Oh, and I don't care WHAT Webfeeet says, when I put those night crawlers in there, most of them go underwater even though I put them on the rock, and some come to the near end, where the air rock is and I can see them, and so does one of the frogs... and before long, the worms aren't there any more. I think frogs CAN eat underwater, if they're careful about it, lol.

Hey, maybe when I email Sharon, I'll just cut-and-paste this to her, huh? :)

I sure hope she's through this ordeal as quickly and painlessly as possible... It makes me hurt just THINKING about it. Ugh!

Peaces,
    Jeff

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

*!#@ i didn't realize she was still there! i need to get off my duff.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

any updates on sharon???? hope she is well!

• maryo_nh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll call tomorrow. Or tonight. I hope she's home by now. Maybe.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

thanks, mary! email service didn't say if she was gone or not.

• maryo_nh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Update!

I left a message at her home phone the other day, and got to talk to Sharon (in the hospital) on the phone this afternoon. She is going home Friday, so she can get into her email then. So, we can send her welcome home messages at her home email, or make a thread for it here.

There is going to be a lengthy enough recovery/rehab time, and the surgeries have not yet all been done. Sharon told me all about it, but I'll let her tell you herself when she's ready and able. Anyway, I'm planning to do the fall maintenance/winterizing on both ponds this Fall. (If anyone wants to come help, let me know!)

*Btw, if you want to call her today or tomorrow while she's still in the hospital, email me, then I'll give you the phone number. My (commercial) email is sashagretchen@yahoo.com. (virus -> not using the personal email). I'll check it tonight by 9 PM and tomorrow.

• sheepco
    17 years ago

mary, I'd come in a minute to help if it wasn't 1500 miles. But I'm sure the ponders of S NH will help out - heck, I'd come just for the company, no doubt it will be a heck of a party! I'd love to meet all of you!

Anything I can do long distance?

• maryo_nh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gee, Sarah, no, thanks for offering though. But, since Sharon and I met last spring, I've discovered she's a very nice person, worthy to have as a friend - I'm sure she'd love to get email with pond stories. She's passing the time in the hospital by looking at pond pictures.

And now that your winter is about to start (I just read your other post)... you'll have lots of time, right? Heehee.

• jeffahayes
    17 years ago

Well, I've been busy with other things, again, but glad to see Sharon is coming along, although I STILL HURT every time I even THINK about what she's going through.

I assume today is the day she came home for the first time. I hope it means she gets more rest before the next surgery.

Take good care of our friend, Mary!
    Jeff

• maryo_nh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

And she's home! Yeay! We're going to visit tomorrow.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

beautiful!

• sharon_greenacre
    13 years ago

Hello, Old Friends!

My goodness, I can't believe how tardy this is. I found this thread some time ago and have been meaning to come back and comment.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

The emails in the hospital were a real pick-me-up. I think I still have them somewhere -- I must find and re-read them some time.

Mistress Mary did indeed bring me a water hyacinth in the hospital, and was an amazing help to me during my convalescence, and not only then! She's a real peach.

So anyway, yeah, it was an ordeal, not something I'd care to repeat, but I had excellent care and have recovered well, though it's been a long process. What actually happened was that the anticipated 2 surgical days turned into 3, because the neurosurgery part of Day 1 took much longer than anticipated. I was in hospital and rehab for a total of 6 weeks, with a few days home between the second and third operations.

I didn't mean to abandon you all. At the time I was more active in a forum for people with spine issues like mine, for obvious reasons, and since then I've been absent because I'm too compulsive and when I'm active here I tend to get nothing else done.

I'm currently experiencing one of ponding's worst waking nightmares (muskrats trashed my liner -- agh!), so this seemed as good a time as any to pop in and say my much-belated thank-you's.

With a little luck maybe I'll learn to manage my time better and stick around!

(Yes, this is really me. I couldn't remember my NorahS login, and I'd rather spell my name forward, anyway.)

• chickadeedeedee
    13 years ago

Hi Sharon! ((((HUGE HUGS))))

Yes you have been missed!!! You've been through the wringer and a half! Sorry that your liner got trashed. :-/

Time management?!?!? What's that? Please lemme know how that works when you figure it out! LOL!

Soooo happy that you are on the mend! Keep up the good work.

Take care! :-)))

• sharon_greenacre
    13 years ago

Mmm, Chickadee hugs! Feels good to be back!