Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

What time is it?

sleeplessinftwayne
17 years ago

I was just sitting at my desk reading something and heard a strange noise. I looked up to see my Atomic clock had the hands going around and around until it advanced a full 12 hours. The second hand isn't going anywhere. I looked at the time on the Electronic thermostat over the desk and it suddenly agrees with the Atomic clock which it hasn't done since Daylight Savings kicked in this spring and I was too lazy to change it. The computer clock doesn't agree with either of them but that is normal. The clock on the microwave is blinking 88:88 and the oven clock is an hour behind although it was correct this morning. This happened at 3:47. Yesterday I was about to send an e-mail at 3:47 and the house power shut off and came back on but I couldn't get the server back. If I try to get on the computer most days after about 3:45 until after 5:00 all I get is "That page cannot be found". Sometimes we have to reinstall the network to get things working again. To get on this forum I had to go through a backdoor and sometimes that doesn't work. The TV is still turning itself on between 3:30 and 4:00 in the morning.

Is the house electrical system gone wonky? Have I lost it? Why would the electric affect a battery powered clock? Do I have a poltergeist? Come on, guys. Please, I'm getting seriously annoyed. Surely someone can come up with a plausible explanation for this nonsense. Something just dinged 3 times in one corner of the room and the only thing there is an alarm clock. Whoh! It just dinged 5 times. The alarm is turned off. Is there a therapist or a ghost buster on the forum? Sandy

Comments (21)

• jeanner
    17 years ago

Sandy, what's going on up there in Ft. Wayne???

I think I would be freaking out!

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

The 3 dings followed by 5 dings COULD be significant here. It means that you are either a victim of a brown-out or you are being haunted by an angry, nerdy, bored 35 year old apparition.

With the former scenario, they can cause serious damage but often go undetected even with surge protection. With the latter scenration, well... it's been nice knowing ya!

{{gwi:171964}}

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I told DH about the clocks when he came home about 5:45 and he decided it was a signal the battery was dying and I had just forgotten that part of the instructions. He changed the batteries. The alarm clock proceeded to ding 5 times every 5 minutes for the next 2 hours. This one is electric with a 9 volt backup battery. At 6:45 the Atomic clock reset itself to Pacific time and the second hand is moving again. DH doesn't want to discuss it. The computer clock claims it is 3:34 am while the Atomic clock is still ticking away on Pacific time saying it is 1:34. The time on my wristwatch says it is 4:34. No wonder I am always late!
    Jean, I know I am getting weirded out. At least the alarm clock is not dinging any more.
    Mark, I think you may be right. About the brown-outs, not the nerdy ghost. I don't know any protection against that other than pulling the plug at 3:15. This house is the oldest in the addition except for a house built in 1839 and Verizon and the water Dept. have both been digging up the area. Who knows what they have been doing. I know the telephone people have been trying to figure out where the line comes into this house for 3 years. They spent another 2 hours with what looked like a digital current detector a few weeks ago, gave up and came back with a metal detector and found nothing again.
    I really wish I knew why the battery powered Atomic clock is wonky. Of all the strange things happening that one baffles me the most. Anyone else care to offer an opinion? Sandy

• koijoyii
    17 years ago

Sandy:

Are you sure those cute little racoons haven't found a way into your house? lol If I were you I'd take some pics in the area where the clock is and see if anything shows up. Don't use the flash. Of course, then again, maybe you don't want to know.

Jenny

• youreit
    17 years ago

Yeah, that's some freaky stuff! Does the atomic clock get its time by radio frequency or...?

How about your wireless mouse? Is it still acting goofy? Seems like something is interfering with frequencies around your home, Sandy.

How about electrical storms? Do you get those often (or ever)? Do you have a lot of static around the house?

Before we call in the great guys at TAPS, I'm going to talk to my dad (electrician extraordinaire) and see what he has to say about it. If HE doesn't want to talk about it (like your DH), then I'd call Ghost Hunters. :D

Brenda

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Whoa, that's some freaky stuff! The only thing I can figure is something interfered with the radio signals from the Global Positioning System, from satellites that keep the time correct and also automatically reset the clocks after a disruption. When something (? objects can cause an inacurrate report of the satellite's position) interferes with the satellite's ability to bounce radiowaves, it will cause a disruption. The clock will show an inaccurate time, then suddenly reset itself.

Is there an airport near you that has experienced brown outs? The closest thing to the amt of megahertz used in an atomic clock is used in air traffic control. Cells phones, etc. use a much smaller amt, so it doesn't seem the phone co would be causing this, unless they are experimenting with some deep space communication...(Twilight zone music...)
    Ok, I confess...
    I read this, I didn't just know it! I would supply a link, but I investigated around to different sites for 30 min. to gather this insiteful bit of non useful speculation.
    I have time on my hands today. Thanks Sandy, you caused me to learn something! ;)
    I hope you don't have to call out ghostbusters!!!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Darn it, Grandmapoo, I thought we were going to get somewhere. For those of you who are interested, my Atomic clock gets it's correct time from a radio signal out of Boulder,Colorado that is sent out at midnight every night so anytime the clock is wrong at midnight it is reset to the correct time. The clock must be placed where it can receive the signal so it is sitting on a built-in room divider about 5 feet up. I can't reach it without moving the desk or getting a step stool because it is too far away. Even DH at 6'2" has a hard time reaching across the divider to get it. It's gone through two time correction cycles now and it is currently telling me the time in Pacific Daylight time. I'm going to stick around and see what happens when it reaches 12:00. I don't remember if the radio signal is bounced off of a satellite but if it is I would suspect alien intervention at this point.
    Brandy, I tossed the old wireless mouse and got a new one. Until this nonsence started it was working fine. Now I am getting selection screens such as you would get if you opened File or other choices in the toolbar. Have also gotten some from the ctrl key and other keys I haven't touched. I just used a very tiny flexable brush to clean the keyboard. Amazing what can get under those keys. Guess I should take it down to the board and make sure there is no cat hair bridging solder points. Looks like it is going to be an interesting week. Haven't had this much fun since playing with a big degausser.
    It just hit midnight and it didn't reset to the right time so it still thinks it's in CA. I'm going to go feed the fish and chase some raccoons. Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: A basic explanation of an Atomic clock

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

sandy, you hvae the strangest, ongoing electronic anamolies! rod serling, step back.

semper, just for kicks....i am 35 adn former coworkers of mine knicknamed me casper. not for my beaming personality, mind you. b/c i am so fair skinned- though i have seen more fair than i....ahahahahahahahahaha.

hmmm, speaking of cat hair, romeo gets a lot on my keyboard. he finds my seat an invitation for snuggles so much so that he comes out of hiding as soon as he hears me sit here.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Well, I'm an idiot. I forgot to call my dad yesterday to ask him what in the name of whacky electronics is going on. I'll try to remember today.

It sounds to me like the Atomic clock issue, and the TV/computer/oven/microwave clocks are 2 separate issues, which I think you pretty much figured out, since the Atomic clock obviously doesn't rely on electricity. It's probably a coincidence that they both seem to be going whacky at the same time, since the TV has been doing it all along, as well as the computer.

Maybe you could try shouting "GET OUT!"? Hehe, actually, I wouldn't try that.

Brendy

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

For some reason Saturday I could not start my car. I had just turned it off and forgot to close the windows so I tried to start it again and the key wouldn't turn. I tried to turn the wheel, it was locked. I pressed the brake, nothing. Made sure it was the right key, took the key out and turned it over. Nothing! Started over. A friend got in, turned the key and it started. She grinned and gloated, "It's you! You're causing the electrical stuff!!" Sigh....Sandy

• youreit
    17 years ago

Well, not sure about the car problem, Sandy, but I spoke with my dad yesterday. He said that a neighbor could very well be causing the problems with frequency interference. He said to take a look around your neighborhood for any strange antennas mounted on roofs. He said that any testing or changes in frequency (something like that) could cause a garage door to open, televisions to turn on, clocks to misbehave (namely, the "atomic" clock).

He even mentioned that if you have an airport nearby, that could be the issue. I guess my folks' TV would turn on at strange times because something was going on at the airport that would cause the remote control to go whacky. They also have an "atomic" clock, and he hasn't had any issues with the digital readout showing the incorrect time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that yours wouldn't.

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, Brenda. Thank you and thank your dad. That does make sense to me. I remember when so many things were not shielded properly, electonic things would go strange when certain appliances or devices went on. I'm not a CB or Ham Radio operator but I know they have to be within certain limits on antenna height, signal strength and a bunch of other things because the US government frowns on their signal interferring with other signals. We are not near an airport but there is a Fire Station very near and it's even in line of sight. I think I'll take a stroll over there and see if the timing rings a bell or two. If not, I'll check for other big antennas. Thanks again. Maybe I'm not totally crazy after all. Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

that reminds me of when we used to get cb traffic over our television when i was a kid!

• youreit
    17 years ago

FTM, or now, when I occasionally hear other people when I'm using the cordless phone. Creepy!

Wow, I sure hope the fire station is the culprit, Sandy. What a relief it would be justing knowing what's causing it.

Hey, and my dad used to be a fireman, too. :D

Brenda

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

What time is it??? It's B-Day time silly! Hope you had a great one Sandy. :-)

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Yeah, Sandy, happy birthday!!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

happy, happy, joy joy!

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Sandy? Is it your birthday? I thought you had a summer b-day? Or! Do you have two birthdays! Wow! Congrats!

:) Mary

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Uhhhh... I think, uhhh, maybe I got the day you first registered mixed up a tiny little bit with your birthday, heeheehee...

SO TODAY IS THE BIG DAY!!! HOORAY!!
    (That's to say, it would have been today if I had gone to bed on time) (obviously I have the day off tomorrow).

Many happies!

:) Mary

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for the birthday greetings. They are muchly appreciated. Sandy

• youreit
    17 years ago

Cripes, I missed it!! I hope you had a marvelous day, Sandy! :)

Brenda