Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pikecoe

Enjoying the birds

pikecoe
15 years ago

One of the Hummingbirds coming in for a landing.

{{gwi:172201}}

{{gwi:172202}}

{{gwi:172203}}

{{gwi:172204}}

Comments (15)

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Nice pics Glenda!
    I have the same brand feeder. I think its a Nature First, or something like that. I bought it 'cause it was all red. I was drowning alot of bees, and I heard if you get rid of the yellow, they aren't as attracted, and so far it has worked pretty well.

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

Boy you must have a great camera to stop the wing action like that. Good pics!!! I love how the feathers are ruffled (in the first pic) from backstroking to stop!!
    Anne

• youreit
    15 years ago

GREAT pics, Glenda! I love the first pic, too - "Call the ball! Call the ball!" LOL

Brenda

• jeanner
    15 years ago

Great series! Those hummingbirds are absolutely the most amazing creatures - and so feisty! Are they ruby-throated hummers? Do you get more than one kind? I would love to see some of the tropical hummers some day.

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, the male has a beautiful ruby throat. I don't know if we have had any other kinds. These are all I have seen this year. Glenda

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll just sit here til she goes...
    {{gwi:172205}}
    {{gwi:172206}}
    and here's the Mrs...
    {{gwi:172207}}
    Uh..Oh....I'm out a here...
    {{gwi:172208}}

• chickadeedeedee
    15 years ago

WOW! I am so jealous! Those are a wonderful series of photos. Keep 'em coming please. :-)

• youreit
    15 years ago

Love that last pic, Glenda! I think I hear squealing tires. :D

Brenda

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Glenda, do your hummers feed together at the feeder? Mine just won't tolerate a second one there.
    I've been to a state park where they had tons of feeders outside an observation window, and those feeders would have 5-6 hummers on each feeder.
    Have you ever seen their tongue coming out? Its as long as their bill!
    Mine are always clicking and chasing each other.
    Have you ever seen them flying in an arc in the air, back and forth, back and forth? I'm not sure what that means.
    when I wear my neon pink shirt outside, they hover right in front of me, thinking I'm a big flower!
    They're sure fun to have around!

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have had several females feed at the same time. But the male will come and run them off. Yes I have seen them flying in the arcs in the air. I really enjoy mine. I see them sitting in the dogwood tree, just waiting for me to go away so they can come and drink. Sometimes they will come to the feeders, with me sitting right under them but I have to be very still. Glenda

• catherinet
    15 years ago

A couple summers ago, they would hang around while I was watering in the back yard. I would put a fine spray in the air, and they would love to fly through it. Pretty soon, I'd go out and just start spraying up in the air, and that would attract them. They haven't seemed as interested this year.

• jeanner
    15 years ago

Your pics are too funny! I love to watch them preen with those long beaks - a built in back scratcher!

I think the flying in the arc is a territorial act ...

Last fall we took a little motorcycle trip and my BIL came over to feed the cats and water my pots (bless his heart!). It was in the middle of migration and I had a minimum of 14 hummers at a time. One of the hummingbird feeders hangs over the pots on the deck and they came right up to him while he was watering. He had never seen them so close or so many at a time and he was just amazed. Which reminds me that I need to get some pictures of the males before they leave, it won't be long :^(

• catherinet
    15 years ago

jeanner........do you have hummers that will feed at the same time on the same feeder?
    Gosh......summer is going too fast!
    I didn't have nearly the number of hummers as I had last year. How about you guys?
    I do seem to have alot of cedar waxwings this year though. They never get close enough for pics though, but I hear them out there.

• youreit
    15 years ago

This year is hummer central at my house! I've NEVER seen so many hummers before! And it's standing room only at the feeder - four perched eating with at LEAST five waiting, hovering, perching elsewhere, giving the evil eye to those already feasting. LOL I've even seen them bump or peck another one off the feeder perch. I must admit, I've wanted to do that a couple times in the kitchen when I'm really hungry. :D

I used to have 2 feeders a couple years ago, but I didn't have enough visitors to make them both worth it. Now, I have to fill up my over-4-cup-capacity feeder daily. Not that I'm complaining! :D

I've seen them do that weaving, back-and-forth, almost hypnotic thing when they're trying to intimidate another visitor. One will sometimes "weave" another one to the ground in its attempt to scare it off.

I've even seen one following Pookie kitty when she gets too close to the feeder! It's hilarious, seeing her walking real fast, ears back, knowing SOMEthing is back there, hustling her out of the area. LOL!!!

Brenda

• jeanner
    15 years ago

I seem to have a few more this year, although it's hard to tell, but I've seen at least 3 males fighting over one feeder but the other feeder is at the other end of the house so it's a little tough to count. The males are starting to relent a little now, I noticed a male and a youngun together at the feeder. The females seem content to share. Last year as they migrated I noticed alot less fighting, even with the males. The cardinals do the same thing in the late fall and that's when I know winter is too close!

The cedar berries are just about ripe and the trees are loaded this year so I'm hoping to catch the waxwings feasting on them - if the starlings don't get them first :^(

Gee I'd love to see some of them Californian hummers (hint, hint!)