Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanner_gw

Some people are so cruel ...

jeanner
17 years ago

Someone dumped 4 kittens on the side of the road - they can't be much more than a couple of months old. They came right to me when I called them so they are not feral. They're barely weened, how in the world are they supposed to survive in the wild???? It makes me so mad!

SO now I have 4 very hungry kittens in my garage. I am not ready to take on any more cats but they are so cute at that age, they've already started the meowing and purring when I go out there.

I am hoping to get them in one of the rescue shelters. I keep telling myself - no more cats!

Comments (39)

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

Aww, Jeanner, what color are your new kitties? What will you be naming them? Heh heh Heh, yeah, shelter, right. I think they are IN their shelter already. LOL

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Jeanner, you're such a sweetie. Of course these kittens know what a heart of gold you have! No wonder they're purring!

:) Mary

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I'm in trouble, I keep going out to the garage to play with them. The two black ones are a little smaller and still timid but the other two calicos are not shy at all. Tried to get pictures of them but they won't let me get two feet from them, they were all over me, purring and head butting and playing with my robe tie.

But no, I already have three kitties, all adopted strays. The two inside kitties are already jealous of each other. Bandit is a "needy" cat and is attached to my hip all the time. It would kill her to have to share.

But they are so cute, and so trusting. Ah no, I'm in trouble!!!!

• ademink
    17 years ago

You're preachin' to the choir here, sister. LOL Kitty Boy is purring on the front porch in HIS bed, as we speak! hehe Congrats on the new babies!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

"I think I'm in trouble"-- lol, i felt that one before!

jeanner, i agree....i can't even express how that makes me feel. we average three dogs a year at work. no one ever knows where they come from. they just show up.

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Jeanner, just a thought... remembering last night how we got to have some of our previous kitties... are you sure it was PEOPLE that abandoned the kittens? It could have been their momma! We adopted Mittens after she had two litters under our front door steps.

We got the kittens used to human contact, so they would be adoptable when they were old enough. But every now and then, after we had played with them, the mother moved them - into the stone wall, under the evergreens, etc. Then off she went hunting. She left them alone longer and longer. One day a neighborhood boy came and told us about the abandoned kittens at the side of the road, and we took them back to the house, because they would have gotten run over. We had found future homes for all of them (including ourselves) when the mom took them away to where we couldn't find them... and a sign for kittens showed up at the farm down the road.

It took a long time to get herself domesticated enough so we could pick her up, and then we took her to the vet to be spayed. We were worried about the 5-day stay indoors, since she had tried to claw her way out the back door almost every time that we had tried if she could stand being inside... but she discovered the rug on the stairs, and never left again. That cat had a purr so loud, you could hear it everywhere in the house.

Anyway. so, maybe the mom is the culprit, but that makes no difference to you being their new mommy!

There is an organization that helps with strays, if I could only remember the name - I have to ask DD2, they helped her with the cat&kittens that took residence at the back window of her Brooklyn apartment, and the landlord wouldn't let her adopt any. They have chapters in many places, we found them on the internet.

:) Mary

• youreit
    17 years ago

Jean, they're little he- and she-devils, sent to wreak havoc on caring individuals such as yourself! :D

We have so many feral cats in our "neighborhood" (very rural setting), that a day without hearing their screams and fighting would seem like it was too quiet, like after a nuclear holocaust or something. :)

If the kitties weren't so danged cuddly and purr-ful, and their scent wasn't so delicious...and if only my cat wouldn't look at them like I look at a SuperSonic cheeseburger. *sigh*

Ok, you realize that we need pics now, right?

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

lol at nuclear holocaust!

good point, mary.

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do hope Mom is not wandering around looking for her kitties, although I would be quite surprised as they have obviously been handled by humans and my house is probably the closest to where I found them and it's a mile away. This is a "dumping" ground for pets (and refrigerators, tires, yard debris, etc). The property is owned by the county park system but they have not build any trails, roads, or shelters yet and it is unpatroled. I have rescued 2 dogs from the same place, one I brought home and fed for a couple of days until the rescue shelter could come get him. Unfortunately it was found "unadoptable" by the shelter. I'm not surprised, it was a chow mix, very aggressive and nipped at my husband. And probably dumped by owners who didn't know how to train and handle it. It's hard knowing the dog was euthanized but still a better fate than wandering the streets hungry or worse yet, to be hit by a car. I wish people would really think hard about getting pets, and what kind of pet they get. It's the animals that suffer in the end.

I came home at noon to check on them and moved them into the mudroom as it was getting warm in the garage ... thats one step closer to getting into the house .... NO, NO, NO!!

I promise to post some pictures tomorrow.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

ah, jeanner. do you feel it? that sucking sensation as you are being pulled into their trap :)

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are some pictures of the cuties ...

These first two are VERY friendly, so much that I had a hard time getting far enough away to get pictures, so I had my husband hold them.
    And LOUD motors going the minute they see me.
    The one on the left is an escape artist as soon as I open the door to the mudroom he/she is out like a shot exploring the rest of the house.
    He/she is also a shoulder cat, and will crawl up your pant leg to get there! A real pistol.
    The one on the right is really playful and likes to cuddle in my lap.

{{gwi:172224}}

{{gwi:172249}}

{{gwi:172250}}

The two black kitties are much smaller, don't know if they came from a different litter or not. The all black kitty is pretty shy, he/she will let you pet and pick her/him up but is still hesitant about it, but beggining to warm up to me. He/she is also the smallest of them all.

{{gwi:172277}}

{{gwi:172279}}

{{gwi:172281}}

{{gwi:172283}}

So far, no luck finding homes for them :^(

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Damn you, Jean! Damn you! You had to post pictures, didn't you?

All right. I'll talk to the old man, and I'll come meet them, but at most I can only take two. You all heard me -- two! Is all!

Let me note that these are not gray kitties whose fur cracks when they bend. I specifically ordered gray. :)

Do they use the litter box?

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh ZC, are you serious??? Which ones are you admiring?

Tami just told me she wants the the black-and-white one. I hope that's not the one you want!

Yup, all litter trained.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Uh-oh. Precious alert, precious alert, Will Robinson! How did I possibly think I could look at pics and be unfeeling?

They are so beautiful! I think it's so great that you're taking 2, ZC! And at least one more has dibs. I can feel the love.

Brenda

• koijoyii
    17 years ago

ZC:

Black and white make gray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

zinnia, if i wasn't so far away we'd be duking it out for that one! that expression reminds me of my old man who was also b and w.

however, i AM ABSOLUTELY ENRAPTURED by all of them! those first pics are personality in action. and, i am partial to blacks even though i never had a black kitty.

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Why yes, it's the stripey ones I fancy. And with Fairy Toadmother taking the black one, well, it's all done! Nice work, ladies.

Here's what they're up against. I hope they're this feisty.

(ps check out my zinnias, upper left. Now you've seen me!)

{{gwi:172285}}

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They'll have your two dogs trained in no time!!

• ademink
    17 years ago

.....ahem....Kitty Boy still needs a home too. I'm bringing him w/ me to Ohio, ZC, Jeanne, FTM, et al. LOL SOMEONE TAKE THIS DAMN CAT. LOL

• jeffahayes
    17 years ago

They're all cute, Jean, but that one in the upper left, first picture, if you're going to give away any, make sure he/she is FIRST to go... that cat's TROUBLE with a CAPITAL "T," I'm tellin' ya... I can see it in its eyes... Note how the irises are open twice as big as the other kitten's, and how it looks ready for "action," whereas, as you said before, the other just wants to cuddle, but that one wants to BOLT and "explore," lol, and CLIMB PEOPLE -- ACK!!!

The only problem I've ever had with kittens is that for some reason I've yet to fathom they grow up to be CATS!!! Me OWWWWW!!! I can't say I've taken them to rescue shelters, but I have taken a few to the shelter, after some neighborhood stray decided my covered patio was a good birthing station (two years in a row) Go figure.

And I really agree about people and their lack of responsibility with pets; but then I'm not sure how many people are even responsible with their OWN breeding, which is having a direct impact on our greenhouse gas situation.

I haven't bred, so I'm doing my part, lol... of course I haven't found a partner, either, but even if I did, I wouldn't want a "breeder," lol. Too many peepers already.

Take care of those kitties,
    Jeff

• youreit
    17 years ago

Ok. I'll mention to DH tonight that there's a kitty adoption thingie in Ohio. I'm sure it won't be a problem, since Kitty Boy is MINE!!! :D

I'd have to rename him something like Cletus, though. Or Larry.

Brenda

• ademink
    17 years ago

If only he could be shipped Priority mail...

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ademink, what you need is a companion for Kittie Boy ... and I have just the kitty for him! And I could deliver him free of charge!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

hmmmm, back to the trouble maker, of which i agree (except the twin is too but knows the cuteness will gt the finger pointed the other way)...anyway, did i see extra toes on the left paw?

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

FTM, no extra toes, but you sure called the rest of it right. Little Fern, whose brother has yet to be named, is sweetness and light, but also knows how to get the dogs scrabbling and yelled at. They both are absolute dears. Rye and Omie the dogs don't quite know what to think.

Fern wears one elbow-length white glove. The other was "accidentally" dropped at the ball, to be picked up and cherished by a would-be lover. I'm sure of it.

• ademink
    17 years ago

LOL...NO WAY. We already have too many in the house and his yardmate was Twiggy (went to be w/ Jesus, as we all know. LOL). I don't mind him outside now but it's not going to work in Winter. He's waaaay too affectionate and a total lapcat. I can't do that to him.

*and the broken record plays on and on and on...*

I love the little black kitties. *sigh*

• youreit
    17 years ago

Fern! What a great name! And I LOVE the (g)love story. They're almost like Beauty and the Beast. :D

Andrea....don't MAKE me come over there! I still have Mr. Man's pics in a folder on my desktop, and I gaze at them while having my first cup of coffee in the morning. Forget a pony! This little girl wants a kitty for Christmas!

But, as my dad likes to say, "Want in one hand..." LOL

Brenda

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are some pictures of the black-and-white kitty (he's the one on the left) at his new home. They had gotten a kitten earlier this year that looks identical! They make a cute pair, don't you think?

{{gwi:172287}}
    {{gwi:172289}}

I got visitation rights today at lunch, he is definitely very happy and having a ball playing with his new brother.

And the good news is that I have found a home for the last kitty - (Andrea close your eyes here) in Indiana to a friends mother.

And then I will be kitten-less (sniff, sniff). But also GOOD!

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ademink, I was going to take the last kitty to a place here that has Saturday adoption days where you can drop the cat or dog off for the day. If they don't get adopted you pick them up and take them home. You can continue to do that, I'm not sure for how long. That way the cat continues to get daily attention and doesn't have to spend days in a cage. They also have a vet that will make sure the animal is healthy and up-to-date on their shots. And they neuter the animal too. DO you have some place like that where you could take Kitty Boy?

I also have an outside cat, the previous owners had attempted to domesticate it but she ran off just as they were moving. I have tried to get her to stay inside but this usually docile cat goes berserk trying to get out the door. We figure she is at least 8 years old, maybe older and will probably never be happy inside now. She is sterile so no problems with babies. I probably should have tried harder when she was younger. SHe lives on the deck now and has become my gardening buddy. Luckily she is not a bird stalker or we might have a conflict. So even though it seems hard on her to stay outside, it is what she wants and she is used too. I try to spend time with her even in winter, even if it is just a quick bellyrub. So maybe, Kitty Boy would prefer life on the front porch ??

• youreit
    17 years ago

I like your style, Jean! I think you should listen to reason, Andrea. :D

Seriously, I know you have lots-o-kitties already. It's always that "only-one-more" philosophy that gets many of us into trouble. I know that whatever option you choose, you'll ALL be happy. :)

Jean, what a perfect home for the little rascal! Already rough housing and cuddling, too. I love happy endings.

Brenda

• jeffahayes
    17 years ago

OK, ladies, a BIT off topic, but I KNOW you'll all LOVE this...

Someone created a little WCM (that's Water Closet Monster for those who aren't psychic to my shorthand).

DON'T try this at HOME, folks (unless you have your own well and septic tank)! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gizmo

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

that's just precious....and such an attention span for a feline!!!!

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Little Fern has adopted Rye as her big buddy. He adores her. They are working out some rules of play here. It helps that Rye has seen Fern hunting at the birdbath (from the screen porch, of course -- both birds and cats are safe). He seems to recognize the kittens are fellow predators, not prey.

Omie is still considering. She falls onto her back and looks away when they're in the room, total beta dog, but if she thinks Rye has them cornered she comes running. "Now? Do we kill them now?" The cats are in their kitty room when we're not around to supervise.

{{gwi:172291}}

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

ZC, please describe the kitty room. Sandy

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

And meet... Bobby Ray! Anita named him. "Bobby Ray! Git me a beer, boy!"

It all has a sweet ring to it, hollered out the back window: "Rye! Omie! Fern! Bobby Ray! Supper!!"

{{gwi:172301}}

The kitty room is essentially a closet off the mudroom out back. A kitty flap opens to it from a kitchen cupboard, and a cupboard door opens to it from the mudroom, where I pass in the food and water. A big door opens to it from the garage, where I get in to clean out the litter boxes. It's full of sheepskin padded shelves on different levels, a 5-foot cedar log to scratch and climb, a hanging basket, various strings and dangly toys, and best of all, a screened window facing the back porch, yard and pond beyond. It's where they are safe from dogs when humans leave the house.

Yes, the kitty room was built, uh, a year, before the kitties arrived. It's been 20 years since I had kitties. I was worried. I've been waiting for these kitties for a while now. :)

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

LOL! Bobby Ray, eh?! He would fit right in around these parts.

BTW, not to sound like an alky talking about brews this early in the morning, but what label is that? Don't recognize it.

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL!!! At least she didn't choose the name Ricky Bobby. She has some class. :D

LOVE the pic of hot dog on kitty action. Red dogs are my second favorite.

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

It was so funny seeing that big dog trying to figure out how to pick up a cat. The mouth was just too big!! He would get just an inch or two from kitty's neck where momma cats grab them and suddenly the cat was gone!! Total confusion on a dog's face is precious. LOL! Especially when he is obviously so disapointed. I keep wondering where he wanted to carry it. Sandy

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

I think he wanted to consume it. He wants to consume everything he loves. So much mouth.

That's a Red Hook ESB. DH's current favorite.