Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottspond

I hit the mother load!

scottspond
16 years ago

I was checking out our local on-line classified ads yesterday when I came across an ad that advertised 100 sheets of 1/4" thick glass that was 34" wide by 72" long. Well, I thought this would be just right for the greenhouse that I want to build. I called the number today and found out that it originally was a greenhouse that the guy didn't want anymore and he took it down. WOOHOO! I got to call the guy Saturday before I go to make sure that there is any left. I'm hoping for 20-30 sheets. I'm planning a 12x20' greenhouse but that plan might grow before I build it.

The best part. It's free!

Scott

Comments (15)

• sheepco
    16 years ago

That IS a great find!! How goes the new homestead?

S

• youreit
    16 years ago

The lottery of the gardening world! WTG, Scott, good eye!

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

That is marvelous! Remember to take along some gloves and something to keep the glass from sliding. I used scraps of craft foam sheets. Also take along a helper. Enough glass to build a 12x20 greenhouse is a lot! Sandy

• scottspond
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today, I went to pick up the glass. I was the only one to show up. I got anywhere from 25-28 sheets on my truck. That was all he had in one spot and my little Dakota was nearly sitting on the ground in the back. I got them home and will unload the truck tomorrow. I'm also planning another trip down there early in the week to get more.

He also has a small pond and a sunken tub. Also, while I was there, I noticed a stand of large bamboo. I will be getting some of that in January when he said that it would be the best time to dig it up.

Funny thing is, we turned wrong and ended up at the house across the road from him. It was one of those houses that had grass on the roof and the front of the house was the only part that showed. There was a solar cell on one end for electricity and a solar collector on the other end for hot water. All the windows had solid shutters that could be closed and locked during a storm. The guy was really friendly and told us which house we were looking for. I complimented him on his house as I was leaving.

Scott

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

That's awesome, Scott! Congratulations! :-)

• scottspond
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As for the official count. We unloaded the truck today and found out that we had 29 sheets of glass on my truck. One more might have snapped the axle. I'm going back tomorrow to pick up 21 more pieces to make it an even 50. The man with the glass has talked me into doing a glass roof as well. 21 shouldn't be to bad. It probably wouldn't have been to bad if it hadn't been for four sheets being 2" longer than the rest.

Once I get the rest home, I will have to scrub them all down and remove some caulk that is on a few sheets.

Scott

• scottspond
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I picked up 20 more sheets today and they were longer than any of the others. There might be 21 or 19, I lost count. I've started on my design for the greenhouse already.>

As I was leaving his house today, he offered me some glass for louver windows. I might get them this weekend. I might build some medicine cabinets with glass shelves and sell them to make money to build this greenhouse.

Scott

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Allllright!! Wish I was that handy!

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

Scotty, please post your "final" design for the greenhouse. That's one of the things on my longggggg list of to do lists but will probably have to wait for the next house.

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

I am so envious of your new project and wish you the best with it! What fun you will have when you are finally finished. Congratulations on such a great find.
    Bonnie

• youreit
    16 years ago

I agree with Fi guy about posting your final design. And pics!!! Oh, you KNOW we want pics. :D

Brenda

• scottspond
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will post pics of the glass this weekend. As soon as the design is finished, I will post it. I didn't get the truck unloaded today as they worked me harder today than I've been working. Tylenol is my best friend right now. :o)

Scott

• scottspond
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I was to busy to get pics this weekend. I did go down today and picked up the louver glass. A lot of it. I will take pics tomorrow. I promise.

Scott

• youreit
    16 years ago

Liar. :D

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

Scott, use some of that louver glass as vents. You are going to need them. Since the guy convinced you to use the glass in the roof as well (I like that idea, too) you are going to need some shade cloth. Check Freecycle.
    I was the recipient of an 8x12 greenhouse two years ago. I still don't have it up. The surgery messed that up in a hurry. I'm jelous. Sandy