Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

Speaking of nightmares...

sheepco
16 years ago

To make a VERY long story short, Emma found a unique "kiddie pool" over at the vacationing neighbors while I was watering their gardens...apparently inattentively...

{{gwi:172357}}

Let me tell you, cold water and Dawn doesn't cut used motor oil an inch thick on a golden retriever. Nether does hot water and Dawn or laundry detergent, or Comet, talcum powder, GoJo, sugar or 4 diffrent kinds of shampoo. Michelle, our groomer finally shaved all her hair off...

{{gwi:172358}}

(Can you tell I googled this? We tried everything before and after the strip) finally ...we sponged her with gas, and then bathed her 4 more times.

Poor girl, she was sooooo uncomfortable, then so sore, but recovered quickly. Now she just exhausted. And the other dogs aren't sure what I brought home!

{{gwi:172360}}

The long version of the story is actually quite funny, involving multiple neighbors, no hot water at 10:30 at night, and big huge gloppy black dog prints EVERYWHERE. Had to throw out 2 pairs of jeans. Took me hours to clean up the oil slick at the clinic, and I still haven't gotten all the black stains off the garage floor.

Michelle left a little lion tuft on the end of her tail to show she's "got COURAGE...ruff, ruff". No cowardly lion here!

S

Comments (20)

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

i am speechless!

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL!!!!!! @ the tail tuft!! OMG, that is so appropriate! Emma, did you get a new hair-do? You look different. LOL

I'm sorry for you and the hassle, though, Sarah. I can't even imagine the nightmare that must have been! I wonder if Emma has been cured of her kiddy pool addiction. :D

That last pic has "humble pie" written all over it.

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

How awful! I'm glad you can even think of laughing. At least it is still warm weather. Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

humble? hmmm. to me she looks like she is looking for the next opportunity! :)

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG FTM don't even think that!!! At least she hairless, but she's NEVER getting the chance again! But humble....no.

I think that last picture looks like someone pasted my sweet girl's head on some other dog's body. (also like I need to work a bit harder on her diet.)

• comettose
    16 years ago

I'm glad she is OK. She looks pretty with her new hairdo!

I hope the neighbors get rid of a kiddie pool filled with used motor oil. That is a hazard. Do you have a gas station or local government location to take used motor oil?

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

OMG! Poor Emma! Poor you!! Poor Michelle!!!

She did a fantastic job with the ~lion cut~ on innocent contrite little Emma. Awwww. Michelle has a boo-boo foot too! Probably had to get new blades for the clippers after that session.

C3D

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Uh oh! I think Emma is trying to maintain her sense of dignity! But she's a beauty, even with no hair and she must be very patient to sit through all that (and you too!).

But I gotta ask, what is your neighbor doing with that much uncontained oil???

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

For best result, don't forget to change her oil every 3K miles.

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Semper, when there are so few L's! She's good 'til 2107!

My dear neighbors came home Friday and were HUGHLY sorry about the whole thing - I barely got in the door when they asked if one of my dogs got in the oil! They really felt terrible about the whole thing and asked repeatly if Emma was ok. Never mind the big oily dog prints everywhere!

He had just changed the oil in his Cat backhoe and his big tractor, and he usually saves the used oil in a 55 ga drum for pick up by the co-op. Got busy, etc, etc...(bet he won't do it again!) BTW, it wasn't an actual kiddie pool, but a 4' round metal tub (the size of a small kiddie pool).

Anyway, be assured, he's not the type to poison animals needlessly. He's actually into conservation practices, and grows the most beautiful glads you've ever seen. AND, as a responsible pet owner... I shouldn't be lettin' my dogs run around in uncharted territory unsupervised.

Emma's still not quite herself...imagine going to get a hair cut/style before your 1st daughter's wedding and comin' out with a purple mohawk (sorry no offense). She seems embarassed and insecure. I'm doing lots of 'happy' talk and ego pumping.

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Sarah, I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound like a snot! I apologize if I put you on the defense. I'm glad to hear you have such great neighbors, they can really make a difference.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Due to the heat (not hair "lube" :D), my dad used to shave our dog Brutus (griffon mix) every summer, and he would act the same way at first - embarrassed and insecure. It probably didn't help that Beau "Without Regard" Jangles the husky was laughing at him constantly....until Beau realized that Brutus was cooler...in every way. LOL

My dad even left a tail tuft on Brutus once, but none of the other neighbor dogs would play with him. :D

Brenda

• comettose
    16 years ago

I love that second photo. Just look at Emma's expression....she is just the cutest and sweetest dog.

• maryo_nh
    16 years ago

Oh Sarah! (LOL where you can't see me) Poor you! (LOL some more) And you still love her! You're such a good doggie mommie. (more stifled giggles)

Just remember, about three weeks, and it will be a bonding experience. I'm quoting somebody here (don't remember who).

At least the shedding will be much less for a while!

:) Mary

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh jeanner - heaven's sakes, no offense taken! :) I thought the same thing - WHY do they have a big tank of oil out without at least a piece of plywood over it! Just curiousity!

CT, that's my fav too - "I'll stand here...if I have to...you still love me right?" (She was soooo good)

Mary - giggle all you want, I can even LOL now! And you are absolutely right about the shedding!!!

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

Emma? How are you doing Sweetheart?

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Still bald but beautiful. Got a couple hotspots right after the 'incident' (I would NEVER recommend this to ANYONE!). Happy and wagging and pushing around the other dogs around...finally acting like myself again (pass the clomipramine please) :)

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

Poor Emma! Hot spots on top of all the indignity! Glad that she has recovered physically and emotionally. She's such a sweet girl. :-)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Well, she IS a hotty. :D Those hot spots are so awful! Clyde the pug used to get them down near the base of his tail. :(

I can't wait to see if Emma is a natural redhead, when it all grows back! :D BIG and WET kisses for sweet Emma!

Brenda

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have this fear that she'll never grow her lovely coat back - hypothyroid or something - sheeesh, so dumb, I love her no matter how much she sheds...or not!

Thanks guys, Emma's Mom