Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanner_gw

The warblers are on the move!

jeanner
17 years ago

I had my first fall warbler this morning! I was so excited, it was a chestnut-sided warbler. No pics, too far away :^(

So get out your binocs! They are small birds , most have at least some yellow (or blue) although the fall colors are more muted than their breeding colors. These birds move quickly from branch to branch looking for insects - look for leaf flutter in the trees. They also like berries, I see them in the crabapple, even though they don't seem to eat the berries. They are such fun birds!

Can you tell I'm excited????

Comments (8)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Oh, Jean. I love warblers too, but I can't stand the idea of it being fall. Are they ahead of the season or am I just wishful thinking? Sandy

• youreit
    17 years ago

Jean, that's so awesome! I found a checklist at eBird, and I MIGHT just spot a common yellowthroat or a Wilson's warbler, if I play my cards right. I'll be on the lookout now, that's for sure!

It sure feels like autumn here already! Still pretty hot during the day, but the nights are fabulous! For us here in N. California, fall is so refreshing. :)

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

are they quieter than cicadas??? i can't believe the ungodly maddeing noise out in my yard.

*ftm hiding indoors never to see a warbler*

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yup, fall is close - the buckeyes and walnuts are ready to drop, the robins are starting to flock and my garden looks dead! I love fall and refuse to let the dread of winter keep me from enjoying it!

Brenda, according to my Sibley guide, you might also see ...
    Nashville Warbler (migrant)
    Orange crowned warbler (migrant)
    Yellow rumped warbler (winter resident)
    MacGillivrays (summer resident, migrant)
    Yellow breasted cht (summer resident, migrant)

There's another whole list of warblers that are listed as rare so maybe you will get lucky!

I was surprised there weren't more warblers listed for California since so many of them winter in Mexico and breed in Canada. I'm also not sure if they migrate at the same time of year for you. The best way to know is google audubon chapters for areas close to you, alot of them have websites where bird sightings are listed. I'm sure there are lots of other birds too that will migrate through California. Thats one of the reasons that I love fall!

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

FTM, the cicadas should be gone soon - thats another good reason to like fall! Are they the annual cicadas or are you having one of the periodics?

Brenda, I found this list of bird alerts for California.

Here is a link that might be useful: California bird alerts

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

hmmmmmm, they had quieted down for a week than back at it at full force. i have never seen periodics here, so i think we are just having a bumper crop! i don't remember them this loud in years!

fall IS my fave season and i love to hear the grackles migrating.

• youreit
    17 years ago

This year, I heard cicadas for the first time ever. Down here, anyway. I'd heard them up in the Redding area when I lived there. I haven't heard them for about 2 weeks, though. I think I'd go whacko if I had to listen to that ALL the time.

Thanks for the link, Jean! I can't believe that they haven't updated the Central Valley Bird Box since 2000, though.

Not sure if you can view the link below, but it lists ALL birds for the year so far. It had a few of those that you listed, between rare and widespread. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a warbler. It's time to change that. :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: eBird California bird observations

• jeanner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ohh Brenda, looks like the ruby crowned kinglets must winter there - those birds are so cute! They are tiny (smaller than a chickadee) but little round balls of energy so keep your eye out next winter.

The only time I get grackles are in the fall when they descend in flocks into the woods to get the acorns. They are incredibly noisy. And the crows try to chase them off and it gets even louder! It also gets the local birds all stirred up so it's a great time to bird watch. The robins will also flock and go after the honeysuckle. It's not unusual to also find waxwing and yellow-rumped warblers mixed in with the robins. Ohh, I can't wait!