Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The warblers are on the move!

Posted by jeanner SW Ohio - Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 21:20

I had my first fall warbler this morning! I was so excited, it was a chestnut-sided warbler. No pics, too far away :^(

So get out your binocs! They are small birds , most have at least some yellow (or blue) although the fall colors are more muted than their breeding colors. These birds move quickly from branch to branch looking for insects - look for leaf flutter in the trees. They also like berries, I see them in the crabapple, even though they don't seem to eat the berries. They are such fun birds!

Can you tell I'm excited????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The warblers are on the move!

Oh, Jean. I love warblers too, but I can't stand the idea of it being fall. Are they ahead of the season or am I just wishful thinking? Sandy

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 23, 06 at 9:04

Jean, that's so awesome! I found a checklist at eBird, and I MIGHT just spot a common yellowthroat or a Wilson's warbler, if I play my cards right. I'll be on the lookout now, that's for sure!

It sure feels like autumn here already! Still pretty hot during the day, but the nights are fabulous! For us here in N. California, fall is so refreshing. :)

Brenda

o

are they quieter than cicadas??? i can't believe the ungodly maddeing noise out in my yard.

*ftm hiding indoors never to see a warbler*

o

Yup, fall is close - the buckeyes and walnuts are ready to drop, the robins are starting to flock and my garden looks dead! I love fall and refuse to let the dread of winter keep me from enjoying it!

Brenda, according to my Sibley guide, you might also see ...
Nashville Warbler (migrant)
Orange crowned warbler (migrant)
Yellow rumped warbler (winter resident)
MacGillivrays (summer resident, migrant)
Yellow breasted cht (summer resident, migrant)

There's another whole list of warblers that are listed as rare so maybe you will get lucky!

I was surprised there weren't more warblers listed for California since so many of them winter in Mexico and breed in Canada. I'm also not sure if they migrate at the same time of year for you. The best way to know is google audubon chapters for areas close to you, alot of them have websites where bird sightings are listed. I'm sure there are lots of other birds too that will migrate through California. Thats one of the reasons that I love fall!

o

FTM, the cicadas should be gone soon - thats another good reason to like fall! Are they the annual cicadas or are you having one of the periodics?

Brenda, I found this list of bird alerts for California.

Here is a link that might be useful: California bird alerts

o

hmmmmmm, they had quieted down for a week than back at it at full force. i have never seen periodics here, so i think we are just having a bumper crop! i don't remember them this loud in years!

fall IS my fave season and i love to hear the grackles migrating.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 9:24

This year, I heard cicadas for the first time ever. Down here, anyway. I'd heard them up in the Redding area when I lived there. I haven't heard them for about 2 weeks, though. I think I'd go whacko if I had to listen to that ALL the time.

Thanks for the link, Jean! I can't believe that they haven't updated the Central Valley Bird Box since 2000, though.

Not sure if you can view the link below, but it lists ALL birds for the year so far. It had a few of those that you listed, between rare and widespread. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a warbler. It's time to change that. :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: eBird California bird observations

o

Ohh Brenda, looks like the ruby crowned kinglets must winter there - those birds are so cute! They are tiny (smaller than a chickadee) but little round balls of energy so keep your eye out next winter.

The only time I get grackles are in the fall when they descend in flocks into the woods to get the acorns. They are incredibly noisy. And the crows try to chase them off and it gets even louder! It also gets the local birds all stirred up so it's a great time to bird watch. The robins will also flock and go after the honeysuckle. It's not unusual to also find waxwing and yellow-rumped warblers mixed in with the robins. Ohh, I can't wait!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here