Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Ginger Kitty and the great outdoors

sleeplessinftwayne
15 years ago

Ginger Kitty is trying very hard to be an outdoor cat. I do let her out sometimes but she seems torn about the whole thing. She sits at the door or leads me with purrs and bouncing and purtling and once the door is open she sits and sniffs and asks me to go out with her. As long as I am outside she is happy to stay close. She has learned it isn't easy to climb a tree but it is fun to get to that horizontal branch. You can see so many things from up there and if you are careful you can stretch out and take a quick snooze. It smells like squirrels and raccoons, too. One of these days she is going to go higher and wind up on the roof. Right now the first branch is high enough. It's embarrassing to fall off so you have to pretend you meant to do that.

You can find more cicadas by getting on top of the largest flower pot under the biggest shrubs. Today she is bringing the most noisy to me. At one point I had three screaming bugs at my feet with another in her mouth. It is surprising that she doesn't hurt them and more surprising they don't fly away. Are the wings too small to support flight or are they just for very short distances? I think four cicadas are the most she can handle at one time. It is funny to see those lumbering insects turn around and seemingly threaten the huge cat. If they stop screaming and try to skurry away she puts a paw on them and as soon as they start screaming again she lets go. I don't think they can yell and walk at the same time.

There are several small birds that seem to prefer a particular tree in the back yard. It is small but has some really nasty thorns so they are very safe from preditors. If Ginger Kitty goes to a particular spot in the yard they go crazy. They shreek at top volume and jump from branch to branch in a frenzy while Ginger stretches out and preens and rolls on her back. A wide yawn exposing her teeth is good for an extra noisy explosion. Eventually the birds or Ginger gets tired of it all and the birds fly away one by one or Ginger finds a bug to stalk.

Ginger has great fun creeping through the tall grass and saplings to a point where she can watch the activities in the adjoining yards. The dogs next door get most of their exercise going into full ararm mode when she pops up almost under their noses and they can't get to her since there is a chain link fence between them. Then the dogs from the other yards join in and the noise is unbelievable. Ginger sits and cleans her paws. For some reason no one comes out of their house to see why the dogs are barking.

Most of the time When I go inside I call Ginger Kitty and she comes bouncing up to go in with me. Sometimes she is too interested in some investigation. Tonight, DH said she is the only cat in the world that comes when she is called. Well, it was dinner time. Sandy

Comments (2)

• youreit
    15 years ago

Awwww, great outdoor tales from GingerWorld, Sandy! I love the paw licking part...so like a typical Diva Kitty! When there is madness all around, calm confidence is necessary. :D

Brenda

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Ah, great tales! Lucky you to have a cat with 'outdoor' smarts. :0)