Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairy_toadmother

lost tribe rediscovered

fairy_toadmother
17 years ago

there have been a lot of "extinct" animals showing back up. now, let's hear it for the Thylacine to be next.

Here is a link that might be useful: batcon, mexican bat

Comments (26)

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

and these guys are just adorable in their yellow furcoats!

Here is a link that might be useful: what a snout!

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Heehee. What cuties!

I love bats.

I go out at dusk and look up until I see one. Or get a crick in my neck. Grandson and I saw one last Thursday. Mind you, I don't think he knows what it was, he's still little.

:) Mary

• youreit
    17 years ago

Yay!!!!! I was wondering when I'd get to see more bat posts from you, FTM!!

That flat-headed bat is SO precious (about the weight of only TWO peanuts! Awwwww!). And that tent-making bat on the left is smiling at us! Cripes, they're all so cute.

When DH leaves for work at early-thirty, I get to see them flying around up at the end of the driveway. I keep holding out my arm and "smooching" at them, but they don't want to be tamed. :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

they probably have you under surveilance! never fear, battoad is here. i hadn't read my newsletter yet.

while looking for more pics of the tentmaking bats, never seen a blonde one...fellow airhead. can you imagine the breeze you get in your ears flying? anyway, these little sweethearts faces look like european badgers.

Here is a link that might be useful: somebody's website?

• youreit
    17 years ago

Oh, MY! They don't even LOOK like bats! Those, to me, are almost scary. LOL

No matter where I move in front of the monitor, their eyes follw me. Ahhh!! :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i think they are just adorable! makes me want to snuggle.

Here is a link that might be useful: why they are called tent makers

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oooooooooooh, this is a cool reference. it tells you the country of each species! http://www.natureserve.org/infonatura/speciesIndex/Family_Vespertilionidae_100476_2.htm

oops. not quite. it is latin america and the caribbean.

i'm finding all kinds of stuff. this link below i will hve to come back to when dh isn't asleep.

what other animals can you think of that have been rediscovered? i remember the ivory billed woodpecker was one.

Here is a link that might be useful: bat sounds.

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well, checking through the sounds gives a lot of page not found. sorry about that. while going through there i found this face. i just love it. gives quite a start at first though, not expecting it. :)

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

these guys sound like little monkeys. and such a face! scroll down and on the right hand side is the sound player.

but i digress, what other tribes have been rediscovered?

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Well, you know the coelacanth - other than those they fished up around the Indian Ocean, they also found a few in the Pacific that look even uglier. This was a few years ago.

Now, let me see how this thing with the links works. I'll put it in two places to be sure.
    http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/coela.htm

:) Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: the ugly cousins

• youreit
    17 years ago

I was curious about the "bat_angry" sound (it's always nice to know if you've upset them), FTM, but it does look like they haven't updated that site for a while. The ads seem to work fine, though. :D

LOVE those 2 fruit bat faces! Even the one that looks sleepy (red-eyed) and startled. LOL

Other than those Coelacanths, I "canths" really think of any other rediscoveries. Although, if they look any worse than those things, I'll leave the finding of them up to the professionals. :)

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cool, mary! it seems vaguely familiar, yet not. "fully functional intercranial joint"- imagine the possibilities!

yes, brenda..it would be good to recognize that sound in casae there was a bat fight going on just as you approached, blinded by the dark :) wouldn't want to be in the middle of that, myself.

this is good. i did a search...all creatures great and small!

Here is a link that might be useful: snails are people, too!

• youreit
    17 years ago

Well, these weren't thought extinct, but they HAVE been discovered by us stumbling humans! :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: More info here on the shark that 'walks', etc.

• youreit
    17 years ago

You can buy a plant that was once thought extinct! Kind of expensive, but nifty, too. :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Wollemi Pine

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cool! and it is so frondy and dinosaurish!

• youreit
    17 years ago

Again, these weren't rediscovered, only newly found. But who wouldn't want to glow after ingesting 'shrooms? :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: New Glowing Mushrooms Found in Brazil - pg 1 of 5

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

not a lost tribe but unknown until now...

Here is a link that might be useful: New sucker-footed bat species

• youreit
    17 years ago

That's awesome, FTM! I wanted to see a good picture of it, so I found one on the link below. "He" is so handsome!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: National G site

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

a post to remind me to try later. page not found keeps coming up.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Yeah, NG has been having some site issues lately, I've noticed. So far, it's working this morning.

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh my goodness, did someone get stressed :)

cool! looks like s/he has mushrooms for thumbs. thanks, brenda!

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

not quite lost but rarely seen. a friend sent me this link

Here is a link that might be useful: frilled shark

• youreit
    17 years ago

Wow, I was going to post info on that today, FTM! Vibes are good right now. :D

Aren't those things amazing? Kinda scary, too. LOL I think it's the shape of the head that gets me...and the body...the teeth...yikes!

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

glad to hear the teleconnection still works.

"much better to chew you with, my dear." :)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Check out the new, amazing critters found in the Amazon!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Expedition Discovers Dozens of New Animals

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cool toad- so psychedelic!