Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hawk!!

Posted by pashta_2006 Z4 ADK NY (pashta@aol.com) on
Tue, Sep 2, 08 at 15:09

Look what I found on the deck this AM, next to the bird feeder!!

Photobucket

I've seen them in the trees and on the fence posts and have even seen piles of dove feathers on the ground, but hadn't seen one this close before.
Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hawk!!

What a good pic Anne!
When I used to feed the birds, I would often have a female cooper's hawk that would get her lunch at my feeder. The doves seem to be the slowest for getting away from them.
I'm not for sure what kind your's is. I've heard its good to put the birdfeeder need alot of shrubbery, so the birds have a quick place to hide.

o
correction

That should read "put the birdfeeder near alot of shrubbery".

o

Great picture - it's a juvenile coopers hawk - it looks quite proud!

The coopers rarely bother my birds at the back feeder - but the sharp-shinneds will be arriving soon and they seem to prefer the cover of the woods and they are relentless hunters. Luckily the sharpies only stay for 4 months, the coopers are year round here. I enjoy the hawks but really wish they would leave my poor feeder birds alone - I get really attached to my feeder friends!

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 9:52

He's beautiful, Anne!! What a treat! Well, for those of us that like seeing them, not so much for their "snacks". :(

Keep us updated! I wonder if he's looking to adopt you. :D

Brenda

o

Ooooo! He's a beauty. Very good posture too. :-) We used to have a Red tailed and a Cooper's Hawk here all the time. Now they seem to have left after the Turkey Vultures moved in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here