Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

How do I text message?

catherinet
16 years ago

Hi all,

I got a sweet "I love you" text message on my phone from my son in college. I wanted to send a message back, but couldn't figure the darned thing out. Is it easy?? I'm not sure where my instruction manual is. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Soooo glad you asked that question because i dont know how either!!!! Hope we get some advice. Bonnie

• youreit
    16 years ago

What kinds of phones are you ladies using?

Brenda

• catherinet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cell phones. hahahahaha
    (That's not a good sign, is it Brenda?) hahahahaha

I think mine is a Nokia. Is that a good answer??

• comettose
    16 years ago

You still have your phone manual? I could tell you if you had a phone just like mine - which is likely, but not highly likely. You never know though - so ditto on Brenda's question. Make and model. Then you can look up the manual (the one you lost - LOL) on-line and go to 'how to text'.

In general you hit reply to a text and then type in your message using the keys on the phone to represent the different letters and the # or * key for spaces and then hit send. My phone will ask if I want to save a copy in the send folder or not and then it sends. It rings me if my son sends me a text message.

Better idea - call your son and tell him you love him back. Texting is SOOOOOOO time consuming IMO!

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Theres a much easier way - use your email program!

Use these domains depending on who your carrier is ...

Alltel @message.alltel.com
    Cingular @mobile.mycingular.com
    Nextel @messaging.nextel.com
    Sprint @messaging.sprintpcs.com
    SunCom @tms.suncom.com
    T-mobile @tmomail.net
    VoiceStream @voicestream.net
    Verizon @vtext.com

And use the phone number as the user ....

So in the "To" address box you would use

19372381111@mobile.mycingular.com

Type in a subject and message as usual. Keep in mind that if you have a signature set up or use a background in your emails that they will be transmitted too.

Much easier than the keypad on the phone!

• comettose
    16 years ago

Thanks Jean! I didn't know that one and just tested it to my own cell and it worked great. I sent my son a message right afterwards.

I wonder how much text can go through? You are right - sure beats typing on the phone which is why I like to call people instead, but being able to do this opens up new avenues.

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Sometimes being a geek is a good thing :^)

Unfortunately I know this because our automated paging system uses a mail program to send text pages. And despite the fact that our cell phones don't work at home (too many hills), those freakin text pages seem to come through just fine.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Doh! I used to text message DH on his Nextel via my computer and the online form at nextel.com (now sprint.com). I can't believe I didn't remember that!

With Sprint or Nextel, you can go to the site below. In the bottom right, below "Send a Text Message," choose Sprint or Nextel from the drop-down list. Then type in the cell number, and hit "Go".

Or you can also do it straight from your email like Jean said! :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprint

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Oh my :( I'm not even sure I want to go there...I'm not read to text....really....please...AAAAHHHHHHH!

• comettose
    16 years ago

I talked to Verizon today and they said their text message limit is 160 characters (I presume including spaces).