Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I text message?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 07 at 17:46

Hi all,
I got a sweet "I love you" text message on my phone from my son in college. I wanted to send a message back, but couldn't figure the darned thing out. Is it easy?? I'm not sure where my instruction manual is. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I text message?

Soooo glad you asked that question because i dont know how either!!!! Hope we get some advice. Bonnie

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 12:21

What kinds of phones are you ladies using?

Brenda

o

cell phones. hahahahaha
(That's not a good sign, is it Brenda?) hahahahaha

I think mine is a Nokia. Is that a good answer??

o

You still have your phone manual? I could tell you if you had a phone just like mine - which is likely, but not highly likely. You never know though - so ditto on Brenda's question. Make and model. Then you can look up the manual (the one you lost - LOL) on-line and go to 'how to text'.

In general you hit reply to a text and then type in your message using the keys on the phone to represent the different letters and the # or * key for spaces and then hit send. My phone will ask if I want to save a copy in the send folder or not and then it sends. It rings me if my son sends me a text message.

Better idea - call your son and tell him you love him back. Texting is SOOOOOOO time consuming IMO!

o

Theres a much easier way - use your email program!

Use these domains depending on who your carrier is ...

Alltel @message.alltel.com
Cingular @mobile.mycingular.com
Nextel @messaging.nextel.com
Sprint @messaging.sprintpcs.com
SunCom @tms.suncom.com
T-mobile @tmomail.net
VoiceStream @voicestream.net
Verizon @vtext.com

And use the phone number as the user ....

So in the "To" address box you would use

19372381111@mobile.mycingular.com

Type in a subject and message as usual. Keep in mind that if you have a signature set up or use a background in your emails that they will be transmitted too.

Much easier than the keypad on the phone!

o

Thanks Jean! I didn't know that one and just tested it to my own cell and it worked great. I sent my son a message right afterwards.

I wonder how much text can go through? You are right - sure beats typing on the phone which is why I like to call people instead, but being able to do this opens up new avenues.

o

Sometimes being a geek is a good thing :^)

Unfortunately I know this because our automated paging system uses a mail program to send text pages. And despite the fact that our cell phones don't work at home (too many hills), those freakin text pages seem to come through just fine.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 19, 07 at 10:58

Doh! I used to text message DH on his Nextel via my computer and the online form at nextel.com (now sprint.com). I can't believe I didn't remember that!

With Sprint or Nextel, you can go to the site below. In the bottom right, below "Send a Text Message," choose Sprint or Nextel from the drop-down list. Then type in the cell number, and hit "Go".

Or you can also do it straight from your email like Jean said! :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprint

o

Oh my :( I'm not even sure I want to go there...I'm not read to text....really....please...AAAAHHHHHHH!

o

I talked to Verizon today and they said their text message limit is 160 characters (I presume including spaces).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here