Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

my cat is driving me nuts, bonkers, insane!!

catherinet
15 years ago

HI ya'll.

If you remember my cat was sick awhile back and an enema at the vets helped. He had a really bad hairball and throwing up problem. We changed his food to mostly soft stuff (Friskees, then Fancy Feast, and now Iams). He's lost a fair amount of weight (which he needed to). I realize now that he was getting way too much dry Purina Cat Chow. Everybody in the family kept feeding him, whenever his bowl was empty, and he was getting too much.

Okay, so we've gotten somewhat of a handle on his hairballs, and he only throws up occasionally, at which time we give him a couple days of olive oil and he improves.

Anyhow......ever since we've cut back on his binge-eating, he's been crying. I expected it at first, since all he did in life was eat and sleep. But it hasn't stopped for months.

We feed him small amounts, because he didn't eat it all, and then when it gets the slightest bit dry, he won't touch it.

We we feed him early morning, noon, dinner, and give him small amounts of hard food inbetween, as snacks.

All day long, he cries for more food. I know that's all he wants, because whenever I come out of any room, or get up from a chair, he gets up and gets in front of me, and runs to the back room (where his food bowl is).

No matter what I do, where I turn, what chair I get out of, what room I come out of........he's running to the back room!!! I fluctuate between absolute frustration and laughing my head off. What is his problem???????

Some days I'm almost in tears because HE WON'T STOP CRYING and running back to his room, no matter what little movement I make.

I can't live like this!!!!

I love him so much, but I think he needs some medication. lolol. Why won't he stop wanting to eat all the time???

There have been times that he cries and runs back there, and I give him some great food, and he doesn't touch it, but goes and lays down and falls asleep.

What can I do??? Is he just totally neurotic? (gee....I hope he didn't catch that from me. hahaha)

Comments (12)

• chickadeedeedee
    15 years ago

Have you had his teeth cleaned?

If he has weight loss he needs to have complete blood work done! He may be diabetic, have kidney issues or an over active thyroid.Those are the top three kitty things.

That's what he needs. You will have your answers.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Yes, do check his thyroid. Our dog is like that and she just wants food to be nearby and is very overweight. We found out her thyroid is working so poorly it barely showed on the test. She is feeling better now thank goodness. We lost our other older dog last week and can't stand to lose this one too.

• pikecoe
    15 years ago

Kristy, sorry about your dog. I know how you feel, we had to have our German Shepherd put down in April this year. He was almost 14 years old and had hip displaysia and had gotten to where he could not walk more than a few steps at the time. So rather than see him suffer we let him go. It was the hardest thing we have ever done in our life, making that decision. Glenda

• koijoyii
    15 years ago

Kristy and Glenda:

I am sorry for both of your losses.

Catherine:

Are you living with my cat, Boa. She does the exact same thing. Her dishes are in the kitchen and she sleeps on her own personal couch (wedge shaped sectional). I swear she sleeps with one eye open. I can't even get up to go to the bathroom without her flying off the couch into the kitchen and crying for food. I have already opened up 4 cans of catfood at one time. To which she turns her nose up at. She is 16-years-old and is on thyroid med. I just had her in to the vet a month ago and they had to increase the dosage. She gets 1/2 tablet 2 X a day every other day, and 3/4 tablet 2 X a day on the days she doesn't get the 1/2 tablet. I had to mark it in the calendar so I don't get confused (I am confused enough as it is. lol). She seems to have gotten better since the dosage increased. However she is still a "finicky" eater. The good thing is whatever she doesn't eat I give to McLovin or Willow. The bad thing she steals their food when they aren't looking (even though it's the same darn food she wouldn't eat when I put it in her dish). She seems to know hers had medicine in it. She doesn't have any teeth so she can't eat the hard chow. She has gained a few pounds since the vet increased her dosage, and her coat is improving. As much as I brush her the luster was gone and she had knots around her rear end.

IMO, it sounds just like Boa. I would take her to the vet as soon as you can to have extensive blood work done. My vet told me cats can get a lot of complications if they aren't treated for thyroid problems, one of them being retinitis, which she said is not reversible.

Jenny

• catherinet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone,

We've wanted him to lose weight, and so I'm sure his losing weight is just because we've cut back on all the food he used to get. He has no other signs of any problems. In fact, since he's lost a little weight, he's a tad bit more active.

When he needed that enema awhile back, the doc said he was borderline diabetic. Well, I really believed it was the stress from the trip to the doc's. He gets absolutely hysterical......which is why I've really not wanted to take him back.
    I believe a couple of you told me to ask the doc if he could have a sedative before going in for a visit, but the office said "no". They said his blood sugar could have been elevated because of his condition (obstructed) the last time, and they would rather take a blood sugar under normal conditions.
    Well.....the stress of taking him to the vet, even under "normal" conditions, I really feel would raise his blood sugar.
    Does a cat with a thyroid problem seem normal except for crying for food??
    The reason I have never gotten his teeth cleaned is that for a long time, I perceived that when we gave him his flea and tick medicine, he would have a very strong reaction to it......spending days being obtunded. I just have a fear of the anesthesia necessary to clean his teeth. He's an indoor cat, so we don't give him the flea and tick med anymore.
    I just think he's neurotic and so I'm going to give him a little bit of my zoloft.
    JUST KIDDING!!
    He does seem to like the Iams soft food the best. Is that a reputable brand? I have the feeling, though, that I'll constantly have to switch around to keep him interested.
    Gosh......you'd think a cat would get tired of crying so much. Oh....and when we don't feed him when he starts crying (even though he just ate), and he starts eating the dog's hard food!
    Do they have Weight Watcher's for cats?? (or cat psychologists??) :)

• chickadeedeedee
    15 years ago

Hi.Forget about having a blood sugar taken for your kitty. Just putting him in the carrier will cause an increase in blood glucose due to stress. Have them draw a fructosamine level. That value is a gauge of how his blood sugar has been doing over the last 2-3 months and will not vary with stress or a meal just before the blood draw. A urinalysis will check for glucose and ketones that may be present if your kitty is diabetic.

Will a cat with thyroid problems seem normal except for crying for food? YES! If he's got an over active thyroid gland, his metabolism is kicked up a few notches and it doesn't matter how much he eats ... he will have weight loss. Hyperthyroidism will eventually cause irregular heart beats, muscle wasting ... vomiting ... diarrhea ... sometimes seizures.

I don't know how bad your kitty's teeth and gums are but generally a kitty teeth cleaning takes 15-20 minutes and they are standing within an hour or less when it's done. You need to discuss your concerns about anesthesia with your vet.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks CD3.
    I just remembered I have those urine dip sticks. I totally forgot about them. I'll test him here.
    I'm pretty convinced he wouldn't be losing weight if we weren't cutting back on his food. He's still pretty big.
    Is Iams a reputable brand of food?
    Thanks!

• pikecoe
    15 years ago

Catherine, you have asked advice from the best of the best. It has been given, yet you seem not to want to use it. Why don't you just go ahead and give him some of your Zoloft.LOL If it were my kitty and he seemed to have something as serious as your kitty, I would be bugging the vet daily until they came up with an answer. Iams is supposed to be a good food, unless it is made in CHINA!! I hope you find out something soon. My kitty has gotten pretty persnicatty (not spelled right) You know what I mean. She only wants Whiskas that come in the little pouches and then only the chicken variety. I can't find any rat flavored. She is a very good mouser. She is about 14 years old. Took her to the vet to check for worms and the vet said she is the "Youngest" 14 year old cat he has ever seen. She is an outdoor or barn kitty. And her teeth and claws are like needles. Glenda

• catherinet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glenda,
    What advice am I not taking?

• pikecoe
    15 years ago

Did you take him to the vet and have him tested for a Thyroid problem? Check his fructosamine levels. Maybe I missed this. I agree that would be a place to start. Instead it seems to me that it is easier to find an excuse not to stress him out by not taking him to the vet. How about him stressing you out with his constant call for help. I'm sorry and please don't think I am being mean. If I were there I would go with you to help you once and for all get an answer to your kitty's problem. Glenda

• koijoyii
    15 years ago

Catherine:

Whatever you do, DO NOT let your cat continue eating the dry dog food. That's how I lost my siamese cat. He at the dry Iams mini-chunks and went into kidney failure and I lost him. The vet told me it has too much protein in it and cat's kidneys cannot tolerate that much protein.

Jenny

• catherinet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jenny,
    I figured that wasn't a good thing. I guess we'll just have to give the dog her food only when we're there to make sure the cat doesn't get it. Thanks for the heads-up.