17 years ago

Please read and make your decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Traps

Comments (12)

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Hypocrite defined:

hyp'o'criteâ [hip-uh-krit] Ânoun

1. a person (or country) who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
    2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements

Well, add this to the list of reasons one should dislike the stinkin' French! :-)

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

and to think i thought steel jawed leghold traps are inhumane.

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

What on earth are they for? I read it looking for the motive for setting these traps -- trying to rid fields of pests, aiming for harmful invasive species, what? And it appears they are for "sport", like setting kittens on fire for sport.

You set it, you leave, you return to find a dead songbird. Whee! Or is that Oi?

But don't damn the whole country for this stupidity. We'd hate for the U.S. to be judged for our own stupid rednecks, now, wouldn't we?

• youreit
    17 years ago

ZC, according to the site, "Since November 2005 thousands of songbirds may once again be trapped and crushed to death under stone slabs - and subsequently eaten as delicacies."

Blah! I never did like French food. Thanks for the info, C3D!

(And amen to you, Fig eye for the hypocrital guys!)

Brenda

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Doh! I guess I didn't read the whole thing.

Snackin' on songbirds. Huh. Someone ought to tell them about Doritos.

• jeanner
    17 years ago

I just cannot believe this.
    I am stunned.
    I am disgusted.
    I am furious.
    I feel sick.

• ademink
    17 years ago

I'm trying to be mad but I'm laughing at Doritos.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Poor Jean! There you are, taking the most beautiful pics I've ever seen of songbirds, and then you hear this.

It's not like the French who do this are part of some tribal communities who continue their ancestors' ways (thinking of some nasty critters I've seen consumed on the Travel Channel). These are modern people...eating songbirds?! I mean, I'm sure they don't do that in Paris (or do they?), but still! What the....?

Yep, the French are nasty.

Doritos...or French fries! :D

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Well, I emailed my disapproval. I hope the woman gets her email totally swamped.

:( Mary

• jeffahayes
    17 years ago

Just completely ridiculous and senseless... How much meat do you get from a songbird, to begin with, or do they eat it whole... maybe toast it and roll it and PRETEND it's a Dorito???

I don't hate the French. I try not to hate anyone. But DANG, for a modern, supposedly "civilized" country to reinstate such a primitive, thoughtless, cruel practice.

Geesh!

But then don't get me started on the conditions in industrial chicken and pig farms right here in America, either... Don't know if they've gotten better, but the last I saw (on a TV documentary), the treatment of the animals was something I'd rather NOT get into unless someone really asks me to... I DID see a recent PETA protest in front of our local KFC claiming they use chicken raised under those conditions, though, so my guess is it's still going on.

Of course we all love our low meat prices, BUT at what cost?
    Jeff

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

I hope everyone is actually sending the complaint e-mail.

This make me sick.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Well, it certainly isn't anything new. The French are not the only ones who use small birds as food, though I admit I was turned off by a televised documentary on a dinner for gourmets that featured freshly killed songbirds. I try not to think how we cook lobster. I do think the killing method is pretty barbaric. I keep running into a menu for a Roman feast that was a horror when it came to ingredients. Sandy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!