Wed, Sep 13, 06 at 19:53

Please read and make your decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Traps

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stone Traps Killing Songbirds in France

Hypocrite defined:

hyp'o'crite  [hip-uh-krit] noun

1. a person (or country) who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements

Well, add this to the list of reasons one should dislike the stinkin' French! :-)

o

and to think i thought steel jawed leghold traps are inhumane.

o

What on earth are they for? I read it looking for the motive for setting these traps -- trying to rid fields of pests, aiming for harmful invasive species, what? And it appears they are for "sport", like setting kittens on fire for sport.

You set it, you leave, you return to find a dead songbird. Whee! Or is that Oi?

But don't damn the whole country for this stupidity. We'd hate for the U.S. to be judged for our own stupid rednecks, now, wouldn't we?

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 14, 06 at 10:56

ZC, according to the site, "Since November 2005 thousands of songbirds may once again be trapped and crushed to death under stone slabs - and subsequently eaten as delicacies."

Blah! I never did like French food. Thanks for the info, C3D!

(And amen to you, Fig eye for the hypocrital guys!)

Brenda

o

Doh! I guess I didn't read the whole thing.

Snackin' on songbirds. Huh. Someone ought to tell them about Doritos.

o

I just cannot believe this.
I am stunned.
I am disgusted.
I am furious.
I feel sick.

o

I'm trying to be mad but I'm laughing at Doritos.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 15, 06 at 9:19

Poor Jean! There you are, taking the most beautiful pics I've ever seen of songbirds, and then you hear this.

It's not like the French who do this are part of some tribal communities who continue their ancestors' ways (thinking of some nasty critters I've seen consumed on the Travel Channel). These are modern people...eating songbirds?! I mean, I'm sure they don't do that in Paris (or do they?), but still! What the....?

Yep, the French are nasty.

Doritos...or French fries! :D

Brenda

o

Well, I emailed my disapproval. I hope the woman gets her email totally swamped.

:( Mary

o

Just completely ridiculous and senseless... How much meat do you get from a songbird, to begin with, or do they eat it whole... maybe toast it and roll it and PRETEND it's a Dorito???

I don't hate the French. I try not to hate anyone. But DANG, for a modern, supposedly "civilized" country to reinstate such a primitive, thoughtless, cruel practice.

Geesh!

But then don't get me started on the conditions in industrial chicken and pig farms right here in America, either... Don't know if they've gotten better, but the last I saw (on a TV documentary), the treatment of the animals was something I'd rather NOT get into unless someone really asks me to... I DID see a recent PETA protest in front of our local KFC claiming they use chicken raised under those conditions, though, so my guess is it's still going on.

Of course we all love our low meat prices, BUT at what cost?
Jeff

o

I hope everyone is actually sending the complaint e-mail.

This make me sick.

o

Well, it certainly isn't anything new. The French are not the only ones who use small birds as food, though I admit I was turned off by a televised documentary on a dinner for gourmets that featured freshly killed songbirds. I try not to think how we cook lobster. I do think the killing method is pretty barbaric. I keep running into a menu for a Roman feast that was a horror when it came to ingredients. Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here