{{gwi:170789}}

Comments (7)

• youreit
    16 years ago

Amen!

We will NEVER forget!

• jeanner
    16 years ago

It's really hard to believe it's been six years. It seems like just yesterday and yet I noticed how few people even mentioned it. It was on my mind all day as I listened to people fret about the everyday stuff (me included!) and thought about how six years ago that everyday stuff seemed like a breeze.

For those more directly affected, I hope each day becomes a little easier.

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Well said jeanner.

I will add that I was once again brought to tears by the 2 small towns I drove thru on my way to work yesterday...both volunteer fire departments...with hook and ladder trucks out front... a flag, boots and hat on the bumper...my prayers to those at home as well as abroad that take care of us all every day.

• youreit
    16 years ago

The History channel had some wonderful programming on Tues., and I couldn't help but watch. I cried like a baby, but to me, it's the least I can do to honor those gone and those left behind. I don't want to forget.

One thing that surprised me on a program I watched was the level of involvement of the boats in the harbor on 9/11. Either I've had my head in the sand, or enough hasn't been said about how much the boats helped. I guess the sprinklers in the towers depleted the water supply, so many boats helped bring water to where firefighters needed it. What a sight, seeing hundreds of boats zeroing in on Ground Zero when the call went out for help.

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

It was a day for tears. I have never wanted to see the names. It was too likely that one of them would be familiar but I was compelled to watch the 70 minute long video on Youtube called The Falling Man. Sometimes my hand strayed to the stop button but I couldn't press it. I had heard of several of the jumpers over the years and thought how difficult it was for them but for some it must have been an easier way. The 12 frames caught of the fall will always be in the back of my mind to remind me there are always choices, even if it is only how we wish to die. Warning: if you decide to look this up, it is very, very disturbing. You will shed tears. You will also feel just a bit of triumph along with grief for this man and the others who shared his decision. Sandy

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

"I don't want to forget. "

Unfortunately, you might be the minority. Like Jeanner, I too have noticed that those events are just becoming a distant and meaningless memory for most folks. I sure hope I'm wrong about this. After all, different people do have different ways of dealing with tragedy.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

I started to make a list in my head of the events that I know of in history that no one seems to remember the way it happened except for the occasional historian and had to stop. I hit 30 too fast. Possibly the only reason I remember them is there are two history nuts in my family and I had some remarkable history teachers who persisted in telling truth rather than political fairytales. Even so, the truth they knew has changed over time because someone had a stake in telling the story another way or who were too uncomfortable to remember. After a while no one knows the truth any more. None of those people who died that day except the hijackers had any idea why they were dying. That makes the tragedy of their loss worse. Do you suppose the hijackers were really aware why they were dying? To most of us they believed a lie. Sandy