Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

Can I freeze tomatillos?

sheepco
16 years ago

Once again the 1st hard frost is upon me, TONIGHT, and again I'm unprepared. AND, the folks are out on a seemingly endless road trip...actually, the tranny died in the motor home somewhere just west of the Columbia River and they've spent the last 10 days in Ellensburg, WA...but that's another story...which I find amusing...they don't...

So I just got done picking both of our gardens - 219 tomatoes (yes, I counted them!), I left the really green ones, if it doesn't freeze we'll still have another 75 at least. 37 sweet red and yellow peppers in various shades of green, red and yellow, 8 enormous pumpkins that about killed me, enough cherry tomatoes to feed 40 (and that's with me eating every 4th one off the vine), and a sack full of tomatillos. God can take care of the leftovers.

Then I covered as many pots and gardens as I had bedding for...all this so I can still enjoy my flowers next week when it's 70 again (and 'cause now it's dark and I can't haul in the dwarf papyrus, Mexican Bluebells, etc. My WH just started to bloom last week! :( I am NOT driving 15 miles to Mom and Dad's to cover and uncover their flower beds...stay home if you want to save your impatiens!

Ah, sorry...to my question. Has anyone frozen tomatillos? Either whole or cut up? I'm sure they could be canned, but quite frankly I'm all canned out after the salsa, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. I imagine if diced they might get mushy, but if frozen whole like a tomato one could make salsa or cook with them don't ya' think?

Anyone tried it?

Thanks, Sarah

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH