Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Make my class more interesting, please!

sleeplessinftwayne
17 years ago

I'm up against a deadline for my annual MG class. This time it is on houseplants and greenhouses. The Hort. agent usually lets me run with it which shows a certain level of either trust or insanity. The last time I did these subjects all he asked for was a plan for a homemade greenhouse and mention of Amaryllis and Poinsettias. Of course there is a glut of info on the web as well as the standard publications the Ext. puts out as well as the info in the class books. My problem primarily is most of the info is repeticious and I do want to make the subjects interesting enough to inspire lots of questions and discussion. What info is the most important to you and do you have favorite resourses or comments you think would be a good addition? Do you have a favorite PVC plan? Tips on construction? I wish I had kept the big discussion threads we had two or three years ago on greenhouses. There were some very interesting tips in there. Sandy

Comments (5)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

??? Surely someone out there has a comment or question. I have changed material and the direction of classes in the past to try to increase interest and enthusiasm based in part on the number of people who came up after the program with additional questions and comments which mostly fit nicely into the next class I gave. Even if the comment, based on your experience has already been included, it would be helpful to know what others think. Sandy

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

I got nuthin.

How about using recycled/found materials for a greenhouse? How about focusing on houseplants that grow with almost no light and very little care?

Like I said, I got nuthin.

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Gee Sandy, it's hard to give advise, you're so great at what you do. All I can offer is remember that you've done well in the past and stick with your style of presentation.
    Personally, I enjoy subject matter that is of the immediate season, like the poinsettias.

How 'bout a miniature greenhouse? Most people don't have the room the create a large one. ??? I tried!?

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Hi Sandy,
    If I were to take a class...and not knowing what you cover already...I would like more info on:
    -specifics on fertilizing houseplants.(probably done to death, but I don't have a clue)
    -plants from the yard that make good houseplants for our long indoor season and can be re-established again outside next spring? (I can always use ideas to save money on my spring plantings)
    -Love grandamoo's minature greenhouse idea!
    -How 'bout a small water feature in your greenhouse?

Sorry I'm not more help, Sarah

• jeffahayes
    17 years ago

If you don't already have it in your presentation, you may also look into including information for things like the mini-greenhouses like I got at Big Lots that are just $20, each, stand about 4" tall, have a hard-plastic frame you put together (come in a fairly compact box), with an outer cover that's made of tough plastic with zipper fronts (I still have a couple I haven't taken out of the box for future years -- you can fit two or three plant-starting flats on each of 4 levels).

Other than that, I don't have any suggestions that haven't been covered, except to mention how much more intense even filtered daylight is than houselight -- things like that). I don't know there are many ways to make it extremely interesting, unless you can come in with a vibrant slide presentation of pictures from someone who has a house with good lighting and lots of good plants (the guy who does our houseplant section is a local veterinaarian who has an office like that, and uses pictures from that).

Good luck!
    Jeff