Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Panic- Ginger in dryer

sleeplessinftwayne
14 years ago

I am so wiped out. DH came home from a trip early and I wondered why Ginger Kitty wasn't giving him heck for not getting home on time and demanding attention. Went looking, couldn't find her. Finally DH opened the dryer door and there she was. Thank goodness I only set it for a few minutes to freshen up but it kept tumbling every few minutes. Even for a few minutes that dryer can get hot and she was not in good shape, panting extremely hard.We wrapped her in a towel and kept wetting it down to lower her temp while we took turns checking the computer for a Vets advice. Found one at justanswer.com An actual Vet came on to say we did the right thing but she still needed to go to the Vet for more treatment. So we spent the last hour at the fortunately, nearby Vet Hospital. She is spending the night there and if they decide she needs x-rays the bill will be over $1000. Her temp was still over 105 even with the wet towel. She probably has a concussion at the least. One eye wasn't tracking. She is getting an IV,extra oxygen and pain meds. I am shaky myself, so is DH. I sure am glad there was a website even if it only told us what we already knew. Sure wish it was you seeing her, Chicky. Sandy

Comments (20)

• koijoyii
    14 years ago

OMG, Sandy, I am so sorry for Ginger kitty. I had that happen to me a few weeks ago. I was folding clothes and didn't notice Willow had climbed into the dryer. Thank God I wasn't done folding yet and couldn't understand why the clothes I was pulling wouldn't come out. When I bent down I saw Willow laying on the warm clothes. Checotah did the same thing last weekend. I make sure I check the dryer now before I start it. Cats are so quick and sneaky. I am praying for Ginger kitty. Hope she is OK. Keep us posted.

Jenny

• catherinet
    14 years ago

Oh Sandy, how horrible!
    Quite a few years ago, the doctor I was working with got a call from his wife....they found the kitten in the dryer, but it was after all the clothes were dry. :(
    Hopefully you found Ginger Kitty in time. Hopefully, she'll have a full recovery. Keep us posted.
    I'll be sending good, healing thoughts her way!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ginger Kitty is home after two days in an oxygen tent and won't let us out of her sight. Attention is demanded if we are sidetracked by anything. Four different meds to give including two different pain killers. Concussion, nasty lump next to her lower spine that we need to keep an eye on, her cheek and forehead were swollen, burns on mouth, ears, nose and anything else that wasn't covered in fur and some fur that is pretty thin now, too. Her whiskers are curled on the ends! Her eyes need an ointment since they were affected by the heat. She was seriously dehydrated and had an IV running for two days. She was really unhappy about that. It took a long time for her temperature to go down and her blood pressure tanked a couple of times. We went to visit in the evening and to take some of her favorite food and she was so miserable. She got as close as possible and just kind of half purred and half whimpered. She hurt too badly to be held so she just leaned against us and closed her eyes, poor baby. She wouldn't eat then but she did eat a lot the next morning.
    The folks at the Vet Hospital seemed surprised we came to visit. They did take quite a while to clean her up before they brought her down. We did seem to be the only ones there. How sad. I know there were other animals there. Don't people visit their sick pets or are we weird?
    Suggestions, please, to remind me to check the dryer carefully. I am sick I am responsible for all this. I never want to have something like this happen again and even though we have laughed about something like this almost happening to someone else, here on this forum not too long ago, it just didn't occur to me to double check.
    By the way DH will be signing her up for Health and Accident Insurance. This accident ran just over $1000 and last year when we discovered she has allergies, it cost about the same. I'm pretty sure she is going to need her teeth cleaned and that isn't cheap either, so $30 a month seems pretty reasonable even to my accountant hubby. The plan I was looking at last week was on the Purina website. The one we will probably get is through the ASPCA. I think they give a discount for multiple pets. Do you suppose they insure pond fish? Sandy

• koijoyii
    14 years ago

Hi Sandy:

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that GK is doing OK. Accidents happen so don't be too hard on yourself. I just had to reprimand Willow again today when I was doing laundry. I told her the story about GK, but she wouldn't listen. She went into the dryer anyway. I threw a wet towel on her and that woke her up. Maybe you can put a magnet on the dryer door to remind you to check before you close the door. Or maybe a post-it note.

I am going to keep her in my prayers.

Jenny

• catherinet
    14 years ago

I'm glad you updated us Sandy. I was wondering how the poor little one was doing. Didn't it just break your heart to see her so sick?
    It sounds like she's making progress though. Can she see okay?
    Like Jenny said, accidents just happen. I remember the one time I didn't count my chickens when they went to roost, I found one stuck behind the nestboxes in the morning. Fortunately, she made it, but I've heard about it happening to others, and they weren't so lucky. Its just one of those things. And look at all you're doing for her now!
    Thanks for reminding us about this potential danger.
    Thanks for taking such good care of Ginger Kitty and give her a gentle hug for me.
    No, you're not weird! When our dog was sick, we visited him in the vet hospital too. I think its important to let your pets know that you haven't forgotten them! They are such important little beings in our lives.
    I hope kitty continues to heal Sandy. Do keep us posted!

• sheepco
    14 years ago

Oh Sandy, how terrifying for you! I'm so glad to hear Ginger Kitty is on the mend. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Maybe we ALL need a cat refridgerator magnet stuck on our dryer doors or up by the ON button as a reminder.

S

• catherinet
    14 years ago

That's a good idea Sarah!

• comettose
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about your kitty. Hope she does OK.

A simple solution would to keep the washer and the dryer closed when not actively loading and unloading either one.

• chickadeedeedee
    14 years ago

Glad that Ginger Kitty is recovering! What a scare for everyone. PLEASE don't beat yourself up about it, Sandy. It was an accident! Ginger forgives you ... so should you!

People usually don't visit their pets in the hospital unless they are there for more than a day or two or if they are seriously ill. They more often call for updates or we call them. Certainly at our place everyone is welcome to spend some time with their pet and it does good for everyone. Of course ... sometimes when the people leave .... the pet starts to howl or cry because they have again been left behind. We try to comfort them but ... we're just not the same.

Our main concern is the freezer and fridge. Can't count how many times little Simon, the kitten, has jumped into the freezer or fridge the second it's opened. Of course he's *quite* obviously there and promptly removed. He seriously has ADH-kitten-brain syndrome. Playing with Godzilla (aka Marcie) proves that fact! :-)

Please give Ginger Kitty a cuddle from me ... give yourself one too!

• catherinet
    14 years ago

How's she doing, Sandy?

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Had to take Ginger Kitty back to the Vet. She was just not doing well. She seemed to be in pain, had some swelling and just was not moving well. She apparently came home with some fleas, too. She is sleeping a lot.
    They gave her the flea cure but of course she had all that adrenaline going so she was moving pretty well. Gave us some pain meds for when she was showing it again. She was a bit more stoic this visit. I sure will be glad when this is all over. Sandy

• catherinet
    14 years ago

Poor Ginger Kitty,
    Are you seeing any improvement at all Sandy?

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today she is feeling like her old self. What a relief! I was really afraid she would have permanent damage. Thanks for the concern. Sandy

• annedickinson
    14 years ago

Sandy,

I am so glad Ginger is feeling better!! Good job caring for her.

Anne

• chickadeedeedee
    14 years ago

Glad that Ginger Kitty is on the mend! :-) It will take time for her to recover.

Since she did sustain a concussion, or two, there's the slim chance that in the future she may develop seizures. There's no way to predict when or even if that would happen and certainly nothing to be paniced about. Just keep in the back of your mind that she might have a seizure at some time.

Take care.

C3D

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gaah!! Chicky! Don't leave me like that!What do I do if she has a seizure? Sandy

• catherinet
    14 years ago

So glad to hear she's doing well Sandy!

• chickadeedeedee
    14 years ago

sorry sandy! i told you not to panic!!! if ginger has a seizure, make sure she is in a safe area and ON THE FLOOR. don't put her on a bed .... she can't fall off the floor.

DO NOT put anything in her mouth.

let her have the seizure. it generally lasts from 10 seconds to two minutes. let the vet know she's had one. the real danger is if a seizure is prolonged (over 5-6 minutes) and the body temperature rises too high as a result. I've NEVER SEEN THAT WITH A FIRST SEIZURE EPISODE.

what would probably be best would be if you discussed your concern about potential seizures with your vet. they may or may not send you home with something to treat the seizure at home.

i did not want to frighten you about this sandy! chances are *very* good ginger kitty will never have a seizure but .... there still is a slim chance and it's best to know about it and be prepared.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Chicky. Both for the warning and the advice. You are right that it is best to be prepared. A seizure is not in my experience. I'll check in with the Vet so we are on the same page.
    Thank you also for the confidence and peace of mind you give to so many of us on this forum when we are dealing with our furry and feathered kids. Sandy

• chickadeedeedee
    14 years ago

*NEVER* a problem, Sandy! :-) Glad I could help Ginger Kitty and you! Sooooooooooooo happy she's doin' OK!!! :-)))