Houzz Logo Print
annedickinson

Prayers for Mickey

annedickinson
14 years ago

Please say prayers for Mickey.

He's the white Westie on the left:

{{gwi:168548}}

He was having trouble with what we thought were seizures. He would cough and gag and pass out. The vet gave us phenobarbital for him but it didn't seem to help. We finallly returned to the vet and he took X-rays.

Poor little Mickey has a collapsing trachea. The vet now has him on a couple of other meds that are helping a bit, but he is still choking and passing out when he doesn't get air. We aren't getting much sleep as night time seems to be the worst for him.

He's so happy and perky when he can breathe. But, when he is struggling, it is so hard!

Thanks,

Anne

Comments (17)

• chickadeedeedee
    14 years ago

Poor Mickey! Poor you!!!! :-(

He just developed the collapsing trachea? That's kinda unusual if it just happened. Maybe he has laryngeal paralysis which can in some ways mimic the tracheal condition. An ultrasound might help pinpoint the exact area involved.

Surgery can be done for the laryngeal paralysis and sometimes for the tracheal collapse, depending where it happens. Lots of times things can be fairly well controlled with just medications.

Please give Mickey a hug from me.

Kindest regards,

C3D

• koijoyii
    14 years ago

Hi Anne:

He is on my prayer list as I key this in. He is beautiful. Looks like he has lots of personality. I just hate it when animals are hurting. Just wish they could talk.

Hang in there Mickey's got great humans.

Jenny

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

Poor baby. You and Mickey. Westies have always appealed to me. They have such great personalities. I hope he is better soon. Sandy

• sheepco
    14 years ago

Prayers for you both Anne!
    Sarah

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update on Mickey.

Thanks all for your comments and concerns. It is so reassuring to know that others care. Sometimes I feel alone in the world.

This had been coming on for a number of months. When the Vet showed us the X-rays, we could see very clearly that the trachea went from one size to a quickly diminished size. Who knows why.

The treatment is some kind of stent type of thing, which is very expensive and the Vet says has complications. He and Jon agreed that, at 16, it wasn't the best choice for Mickey.

I have a friend who does Reiki-type healing and he is working on Mickey. I can see a difference in that Mickey is sleeping peacefully through the night, which means that I am sleeping through the night. WHEW. I wasn't getting much sleep and trying to work during the day.

I know that he doesn't have a great deal of time left at this level of existance, but at least for the moment he is more peaceful.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if our beloved pets could live longer? They can't but we sure can love them to pieces while they are here.

Thanks again,
    Anne

• chickadeedeedee
    14 years ago

Hiya Anne and Mickey. :-)

So happy to hear that you BOTH are hanging in there!!!

I sure would not subject my senior citizen to a risky surgery either! I didn't know your sweet Mickey was an older chap. :-)

***HUGS*** to you all! :-)

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for your prayers. I believe very strongly in the power of prayer. Mickey is still holding his own and even seems to have a bit of energy. He is still sleeping well.

As long as he can still pee and poop and isn't in pain or gasping for breath, I'm happy. His hearing isn't good and his eyesight is diminished, but his nose still works well and that is important to a hunter-type dog. He moves slowly but his nose is to the ground and he and Laddie suck up all the great smells they can on their "oh, my God, so slow" walks!!!

Again, thanks so much for caring.
    Anne

• catherinet
    14 years ago

Hi Anne,
    Sorry to hear that Mickey is having problems, but it sounds like the Reike-type stuff might be doing good things.
    I'm sending good, healing thoughts Mickey's way! give him a gentle hug for me!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

A friend used to take her Autistic daughter to a Reiki therapist. It was one of the few things that allowed her to relax and respond to the world in a less panicked state. I think any type of massage done by someone who is sensitive to physical stress can do amazing things. I hope Micky is with you for a long time yet but however long it may be, I know he is happy with your loving care. Sandy

• catherinet
    14 years ago

How's Mickey doing Anne?

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for asking Catherine. Mickey is still holding his own. He still has cough/gag/pass out episodes, but they are fewer than before. Once he finally settles down at night he usually sleeps through okay, but getting him settled down can be trying. Sometimes we have to get up and walk around 5 or 6 times.

Sadly the worst part is that he can't "nest" any more. Just one nesting dig will set it off. He was the best nester you'd ever see. All four feet and his nose into the effort in all compass directions. That was a very enjoyable activity for him; and for us to watch him.

But one thing that we think is an unexpected side-effect of the Reiki treatments is that he seems to be hearing a little bit and can see better walking through the garage.

Anne

• catherinet
    14 years ago

I'm glad he's still doing a little better. Bless his little heart! Thanks for taking such good care of him Anne.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

Is there anything like a sheet that could be used as his nest? Something with lots of threads per square inch? It might be better than what he is using now. Of course, washing everything frequently helps keep dust down. I'm assuming he uses a favorite blanket now. How is he doing?

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mickey loves nesting anywhere there is something that he can muss up!!!! I don't think it is dust as much as the exertion, especially if his head is down. It doesn't take much to trigger an episode of his trachea closing down. Once he passes out he starts breathing again.

He can't run up the stairs anymore or up the ramp to the back yard. We carry him upstairs and he can walk slowly up the ramp. To get him upstairs or onto the bed we have to sit him up in our hand, leaning him back into the crook of the arm. Any pressure on his chest at all can trigger an episode.

Other than the trachea he is pretty darn healthy for his age and still interested in SMELLS!!!! However if he locks onto a really exciting smell and gets into following, well, that will also trigger an episode.

But, thanks to prayers and God he is still a pretty happy boy and not in pain. We are just loving him to pieces for each day we still have him with us.

Anne

• sheepco
    14 years ago

Good for you Anne, sometimes that's just the best. All the love and attention they can get...quality of life is everything. Good vibes comin' your way from my gang ~~~ :o)
    Sarah

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

I've been thinking about Micky and I hope he is enjoying the season. I hope you are as well, Anne. Sandy

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sandy,

Merry Xmas to you and all the "Ponders". Thanks for asking about sweet Mickey.

Mickey was having an anal discharge (sorry to be graphic here). It wasn't blood or feces. We took him to the vet and it was an anal infection. The vet did the express thing, which Mickey hated, but that and the antibiotics are helping a great deal.

Mickey still has passing out episodes, but they are fewer and last shorter amounts of time.

He is happy and lively (well as lively as a 16 year old dog can be) and he is even sometimes "leading the pack" on our walks.

Gosh, it is so hard to have senior dogs (especially when you get them as seniors to begin with) but they are so loveable and wonderful and funny.

Jon plays piano. When he starts both dogs run to the music room and lie down near him to enjoy it. That is so special.

Oh,by the way, they are still "synchronized sleeping". We laugh so hard at this.

Merry Xmas all.
    Anne