Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Latest Guest at Camp Nappy. Caring for ....

Posted by chickadeedeedee z 6-7 ish Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 8:21

Mr. American Goldfinch.

I came home yesterday with a male Goldfinch. Sunday afternoon he had flown into a window and a very nice lady found the poor little guy fluttering around on the ground and brought him into her home. She brought him to me yesterday.

He has a severe concussion and has his neck twisted to the left so he's off-kilter and has difficulty righting himself. I gave him oxygen for a while as well as medication for the brain swelling. That has limited benefit now because of the 24 hour or so delay from impact and injury to seeking aid. For the best outcome ... they need to be seen as soon as possible but ... at least the lady did try!

Mr. Goldfinch is tucked into a baby blanket so he doesn't waste energy fluttering around to try to right himself and so he doesn't hurt himself. His neck is still twisted around but he is MUCH more alert this morning and it's easier to get his neck / head in the proper position. We didn't name him yet ... not sure of the outcome to this story.

He needs to be tube fed OFTEN. It's going to be a loooooong haul if he survives. Years ago we had a fledgling Starling who flew into a window. She was in a coma for about 3 days and very scrambled as well. Her name was Grace. I don't quite remember how long we had her but think it was 6-8 months before she was able to be released.

As long as Mr. Goldfinch keeps fighting ... so will we.

No photos have been taken of him. We don't want to frighten him or possibly trigger a seizure with the flash. As he gets better and stronger ... he'll have his photo shoot. Letcha know what the next chapter brings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Latest Guest at Camp Nappy. Caring for ....

He's still hanging on strong! I mentioned his condition today to a chiropracter and he told me what / how to do something to help him.

OMG!!!! It worked!!!! His head / neck is MUCH straighter!!!

The dear man also said to bring him in tomorrow and they will try to help too!

Just goes to prove ... good people DO exist!

o

I was wondering if there was some way to help that neck. How great to find someone who can help. It will certainly improve Birdies chances of survival.
Thank you for your efforts, Chickie.

o

Chicka, you're one of this world's treasures. And hubby as well. Not to mention, we all love the stories!

o

What a great chiropractor to offer to help an injured bird. How is Mr Goldfinch doing now?
Anne

o

Sorry for the delay. Things were / are hectic at Camp Nappy. (What else is new? :-/ )

Sadly Mr. GF died. While the chiropracter was able to help with the mis-alligned head and neck ... there was nothing to do for the brain damage he sustained. We tube fed him and kept him warm and safe to the end.

An so Nature ends another life. :*(

Until next time ....

o

Aww.. so sorry to hear that. I'm sure it is hard to say good-bye to the critters that don't make it.

I'm so glad you are someone who can and will make the effort to help. I don't even know what to do when something like that happens.

Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here