Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Are you a rescuer?

youreit
16 years ago

If so, The Animal Rescue Site wants your pet's picture and rescue story! For those interested, check out the link below.

"Your pet could be spreading holiday cheer!"

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Tell Us Your Story @ The Animal Rescue Site

Comments (18)

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Hey Brenda i didn't rescue my dog Mary personally but we did adopt her from the humane society. They said she and her siblings (4 pups) were found on the side of the road in a cardboard box by a good samaritan. So we feel really lucky to have her with us today. They said when we got her (at Christmas) that she might be part sharpei because she had such loose wrinkly skin but she grew into it and now looks like a mini Shepherd, about 40lbs. She's a great guard doggie too :-) She keeps our toxic neighbors in check. LOL....
    Bonnie

• comettose
    16 years ago

Oh Bonnie - you have Toxic Neighbors too?

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You qualify as a rescuer in my book, Bonnie. Whether rescued from a shelter or the street, they are saved! :)

Big kisses for Mary!

Brenda

• comettose
    16 years ago

I've rescued lots of animals but I don't take their photos and I don't write about them except a few times on this forum. Good that people share though - thanks for the link Brenda (where I get to enjoy the stories of others). CT

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

CT i do indeed have toxic neighbors. On one side they had put mouse traps in bird seed and now we have a bunch of birds with broken legs or missing legs. On the other side they sprayed and killed a bunch of my flowers because the man said they are weeds. Their yard looks like a barren desert devoid of plant life except a small area of grass and two trees he said he was removing to make a wrap around driveway. I know its not my yard but it still hurts me anyway.
    Brenda ,Mary sends purple tongue kisses back your way and says thanks for the love :-) Slurp slurp
    Bonnie

• comettose
    16 years ago

You can report the bird seed and mouse trap thing. Those birds are protected. It is just awful how cruel some people can be. I'd like to stick that man's weenie in a rat trap. That ought to set him straight.

• isis_nebthet
    16 years ago

Selkis was a rescue.

I find it very odd that people want barren yards. I actually ended up not happy last year when they started clearing land for new houses. Everything but joshua trees pulled out with a drag....

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

My pit bull Bailey and her mother (little red) were rescues. We re-homed Little Red and after 2 weeks in her new home, she saved the familie's 6 year old boy from a rattle snake. She was bit multiple times in the head, but died a hero. Bailey is still with us, 2 1/2 years later and is by far the best dog I have ever had.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

We have been adopted by a cat. He showed up close to midnight a week ago and we can't get him to leave. I am pretty sure he must belong to one of the new neighbors as he is well cared for. He has mostly good habits, is not quite a year old and I think he is nervous of too much movement around him. Maybe he has been stepped on. He holds out for tuna and I am trying to get him to eat other things. Seems to me that tuna for every meal is not a good thing. I put an ad in the paper but there are no calls yet. This is a common happening for us. I don't know if it counts as a rescue though. Sandy

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

I guess the cat is ours now. It has been too long since she showed up and we ran the ad. It's hard to imagine someone turning a cat out in this cold.
    I did get a strange call last night. A lady said she noticed a lost ad and wondered if the one we had was the same one. I was watching the ads myself and didn't see any lost pet ads at all. Anyway, her recollection said the cat was 11 years old and brown with white feet and throat while ours is white with caramel markings and is not yet a year old.
    Are any of you a magnet for lost pets? Or even neighbor's pets that just love to take off and wind up at your door? It has happened to us so often I wonder why I don't hear about it more. One pair of pomeranians showed up 4 times in one week, twice on one day. They must have thought it was a game. Sandy

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have you named him yet, Sandy? He sounds like a Merry Christmas kitty...or Thanksgiving. :)

I think my family could definitely be considered a magnet for strays. We've only adopted one pet (Dustin the kitty) from a shelter. All of the others over the years have shown up on their own, mainly cats but a couple of dogs, too.

One dog, Red, a Chow-Retriever cross, showed up one day and decided we fed him the best food. He was fairly aggressive toward anyone who tried to "fence him in," so we just let him come and go as he pleased....until Animal Control showed up and said, "Claim him, or we're taking him to the doggie hoosegow." We finally semi-wrangled his mighty frame with a horse harness and a strong runner attached at both ends to 2 huge trees. He ended up breaking everything else we tried. :D But he was a great watch dog and a fine walking (er...trotting) companion.

Brenda

• comettose
    16 years ago

Animal magnet here! Currently 6 cats and 1 dog - all in need of a home. I think in my lifetime I've given away at least 100 cats and kept at least 25 myself (not all at once). As a small child my neighbor said I walked around with a bucket of kittens trying to give them away (my Mom didn't spay or neuter - Ugh).

I opened my front door one time and a huge St. Bernard walked in. Turns out he lived across the cove and had walked across the ice. We found his owners.

I don't want any more animals to find me! I'm hiding.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL!!!! @ bucket o' kitties! That is adorable, CT. :D

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

Ummmmmmm. Nope! :-) I'm more of a "collector". Most of the rescues we have become family members.
    SIGH

Bless those who do rescue the fuzzy and feathered!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

Kitty is definitely ours now. I spent Christmas Eve day at the pet hospital. Kitty is definitely a girl despite body shape of boy kitty. She started scratching and rubbing at her ears and whimpering then would shake her head and lose her balance! She is much happier now but boy, was she ever mad at everyone. She sat on the bench as far into the corner as she could get and just told everyone how mean they were and grumbled until we got home. The vet said everyone wound up with scratches despite two people holding her while the ears got cleaned out. Got antibiotics for infected gums. We'll have to take her back to get the teeth cleaned after the medicine has a chance to work. No feline leukemia I'm happy to say. $162 and they wanted to do full blood work. I said we would wait until we knew she was going to stay with us. I really don't think anyone is going to reclaim her though after so much time. She is a sweet cat and I can't imagine why they would mistreat her.
    Can anyone suggest a name? Sandy

• comettose
    16 years ago

Sandy - How about Christmas for a name? Chrissy for short. Reminds of a book - The Cat Who Came For Christmas.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Awww, you're a great mommy, Sandy! She'll thank you some day, but you know how teenagers can be. :D

Chrissy is better than my ideas that included Gummy and Earie. LOL What is it with me and body parts?

Mouthy

• sheepco
    16 years ago

How 'bout Holly, Noel or Noelle :), and then there's Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Comet, Vixen, Cupid, Donner, Blixen, and Rudolph. or Santa?

Hey, I kinda like Santa, why not? (Spanish: saintly or holy)

Anyway, thanks for taking her in Sandy, She's safe and warm and will be a well-fed spoiled kitty in no time!

Sarah

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus