Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

Dogs in our lives...

sheepco
18 years ago

Dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles, etc...pets bring love to our lives.

This was written by Paul Fersen.

Dogs in our lives.

We aren't house-proud. If we were, we wouldn't abide the scratches on the doorframe, the holes in the screen, the darkened shine of worn spots on the chair. We would wince at the mottled carpet and fret at the hair clinging to our clothes.

We don't. If anything, we lovers of dogs are a tolerant lot, finding greater value in the unabashed affection of our friends than in immaculate sofas. Shoes can be replaced, but heroic retrievers are timeless.

Without dogs, our houses are cold receptacles for things. Dogs make a fire warmer by their curled presence. They wake us, greet us, protect us, and ultimately carve a place in our hearts and our history. On reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

P.F.

PS: Please, I mean no offense to others posting here, I applaud anyone's efforts to live compatably with their fellow creatures, including our hairy friends! I just found this speaks well of my home, of which my dad says "you're not much of a housekeeper are you". (and the folks have plenty of pets!) Sarah

Comments (35)

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

aaaaah, i feel warmer already!

• norah_s
    18 years ago

And nope, I'm not much of a housekeeper, either!

But the bird is more important to me than the bookcase she re-shaped to suit her and the shirts she so lovingly destroyed,

and hay, dust, and little hard droppings are the stuff a chinchilla lover sweeps up each day,

Then there's the neighbor girl who ADORES animals and whose mom doesn't want mess, or smell, or little tidbits in the carpet... her hamster lives at my house.

:^)

Sharon

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

I think people who care more about a spotless house than a warm home filled with the love of companion animals live shorter lives and miss much of the joy those of us who welcome the animals into our homes get from them, even if they DO act like HOLY TERRORS (terriers???) sometimes, as Tater Tot has been doing, lately (It's his 1-year anniversary of coming to our home, so maybe he's "feeling his oats," or something, but he's getting into EVERYTHING again, lol).

But I can't stay mad at him for long... he's my BUDDY!
    Jeff

• youreit
    18 years ago

Awwww!! Great quote, Sarah! The moments that always get to me are when they are quietly staring at you, their eyes slightly watery from sleep. They just gaze at you while they slowly blink, as if they're saying, "I sure love you." *goosebumps* I sure miss having a dog!

Of course, my luck, they're really saying, "I've got her right where I want her. I'm king of the world!" :D

Brenda

• isis_nebthet
    18 years ago

I can condense that poem lol.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    {{gwi:174190}}
    And she didn't even get in trouble we were so busy laughing :)

• norah_s
    18 years ago

That is funny! Instant doggy door!

Does she have mismatched eyes? I love that. Last week there was a Siberian husky at the shelter where I volunteer with one yellow and one blue. So cute! I'm sure he's been scooped up by now.

Sharon

• sheepco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Isis - PURRFECT!

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

just keep posting that pic, adrea! i love it more everytime and it so puts things into "perspective." :) you know, that would make quite a screensaver...enhanced with shifty eyes ....

sharon, that is very sweet of you having a boarding house. forgive me when i call you norah?

Here is a link that might be useful: dogs on the mayflower?

• norah_s
    18 years ago

Of course, FTM!

Just read NorahS backward.

;^)

• norah_s
    18 years ago

PS, Hubby teased me that little Andrew is MY hamster. Then he saw Tiffany petting and kissing him, and I said, NOW who do you think is Andrew's mother! She comes over every possible day to clean him up, feed, exercise, and cuddle him, and carts him to her dad's house every-other weekend.

This hamster was purchased for her by a staff member at the animal shelter where we volunteer, after she accidentally let someone else adopt a hamster promised to Tiffany. (No homeless ones were available.)

How can a mother deny her child something that important to her? At least the shelter folks and I "get it".

:^)

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

funny, sharon, i could figure out the silly card trick email but i couldn't figure that one out! silly me!

i think that is so cool...and what a cool kid to not take advantage of you. to tiffany and sharon: you go, girl!

• norah_s
    18 years ago

Oh? What's the silly card trick email?

:^D

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

it is "supposed" to read your mind to what card you pick at the top, then you scroll down and your card isn't there. well, none of hte cards at the bottom are the same as the top! yeesh.

• norah_s
    18 years ago

Hee-hee.

• goodkarma_
    18 years ago

Here is my girl smiling even though she had to suffer the indignity of this goofy costume. She makes our life so much more fun.

{{gwi:174191}}

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

ooooh, she looks like a giant piece of candycorn- the ones with the chocolate bottoms! delicious enough to give a big smmooch. very nice!

• sheepco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great picture Goodkarma!
    Is that the "OK, what do I have to do to get out of this" look?
    (And bless you for all those ID tags)
    Sarah

• maryo_nh
    18 years ago

Here's my Murphy with that look. It was hard to take this picture... holding the camera when one is almost completely melted...

This picture AKA "Murphy hypnosis".

:) Mary

{{gwi:174193}}

• sheepco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, Hypnosis...I could look at that all day! :)

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

Great picture, Mary! I agree, that's downright hypnotic.

I think I posted the following picture before, but not in any thread I've seen recently, so I don't remember where... At any rate, I'm posting it again.

This is Tater Tot, looking appropriately bewildered at why he's being forced to wear this silly hat at his 1-year birthday party Sept. 17.

{{gwi:174194}}

That's my "niece," Madison, cooperatively holding him for the pose... and trust me, it took a good number of tries to get this one, half-way decent "hat shot," lol... Darned hat didn't fit too well, and when it did, he didn't want to cooperate.

Kids! What can I say???

:)
    Jeff

• youreit
    18 years ago

Hey! It's Sponge Tater Square Tots! The glowing green eyes put me off a bit at first, but how can you resist those lips? :)

And Murphy reminds me of my Pookie! Makes me want to nuzzle that warm fur all day! :D

Brenda

• isis_nebthet
    18 years ago

Sharon,
    Yep she has parti eyes though not bi. The one is amber (actually due to a tiny blue spot) and the other is blue with a slice of brown.

Adrea

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

That green glow is due to the flash reflecting off the retina in the back of the eye, Brenda.

It's a doggie version of the "red-eye" we get in many flash pictures of humans, and although my free imaging software has red-eye removal, it doesn't feature "green-eye removal," and I wasn't able to get it out... HOWEVER, I got a great deal on Photoshop Elements at Best Buy on Black Saturday, so if I ever get around to installing it, I'll have more options. (when I upgraded my Mac in 2000, I paid for the full version for the Mac, but a lot of good that's doing me now, lol, unless I take my pics up to my Mac and put up with what is now, to me, UNBEARABLY SLOW speed).

Since I also caught a killer deal on a 250 GB external hard drive at OfficeMax on Black Friday (got the last one on the shelf -- $109 after rebates... 7,200 RPM Seagate!), I plan to move most of my picture and video files OFF the internal drive to free up space for more software installations... at some point, lol.

I just looked at that cat picture again... that's better that great -- it's FANTASTIC -- the little sparkle of light in the middle of each iris... just amazing! You should enter that one in a contest or see about getting it published, Mary!

Happy Petloving!
    Jeff

• goodkarma_
    18 years ago

Murphy and Tator Tot are so cute!!!!!!!!

• youreit
    18 years ago

LOL!! Jeff, your A.D.D. cracks me up! :D

As far as the eye-color removal goes, you could always use the brush feature on the smallest setting and replace the unwanted color with black. Then add one or 2 dots of white so as to make the reflection look more normal. Otherwise, they look like black-eyed zombies comin' to gitcha. :D

That always works for me, on animal, as well as human, eyes. Zooming in real close helps while editing, too. :) Adding lipstick and eyeliner is optional.

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

ilove that "off the one ear" pose!

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

Brenda, I fiddled with that photo for a couple of HOURS before I finally GAVE UP and went back to the pre-edited version... everything I did just made it look WORSE, no matter how close I zoomed in -- even 800% -- but I was using dog-cheap (sic) software... Besides, the green gives us something to talk about, huh?

And toady, as for that off-the-one-ear pose, glad ya like it... I kinda do, too -- especially since I had to settle for it, as he had just about HAD IT with posing at that point, and every time we tried putting the hat on straight, it either fell off the back of his head, or slid down completely over his eyes, and then he shook it off... Didn't really matter, as a picture of a party hat with a puppydog snout poking out from underneath it wouldn't really tell ya much about who was under the hat, now would it?

Jeff

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

lol! maybe you can give me hints on how to keep the flickering reindeer nose on my "pup." and, he is one of those sugarfoot types that want nothing but dirt and cow manure touching him (except he loves attention, so he likes people hands, empty).

• isis_nebthet
    18 years ago

My dogs all have red eye.

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

Your "dogs" are all WOLVES, Adrea... whatcha expect? :)

Happy New Year, you wolf lover, you!
    Jeff

P.S. A wolf is just a puppydog whose ancestors have been crafty enough to avoid humans :)

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

jeff, try a puppy dog on "speed!" :)

• mucky_waters
    18 years ago

I'm not a great dog (or cat) lover anymore, but when I was a kid I use to be. So I can't show you any pictures of my current dogs (or cats) cause I don't have any, all our current family pets are smaller and easier (I think) to take care of.
    Never the less, I do have one picture of one of the dogs in my life.

Ain't he cute? (the dog I mean)
    {{gwi:174195}}

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

Dang, Mucky, if that's YOU we must be related, or something... I haven't had a scanner hooked up in ages, since I've been using a digital camera, but I have an old one that probably still works, although it's HUGE by today's standards... I may just have to see if I can hook it up and scan a photo of ME at that age, where I look almost enough like you to be your twin.

Downright SCARY, huh?

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living