Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
semper_fi

free-k-cycle?!

semper_fi
18 years ago

Many of you are probably familiar with Freecycle. I read it from time to time in case somebody is needing something that I may have laying around that I no longer need/use or in the off chance that someone with an overpopulated pond, may be giving away some koi. But I also read Freecycle for its entertainment factor (I know! I'm easily entertained!). I have seen offers of used underwear, 1 gallon of milk, and recently saw a request for ferret poop! LOL!

So what funny, cool, unusual, interesting, and/or bizarre things have you seen being offered or requested in your local Freecycle group?

Comments (25)

• youreit
    18 years ago

"...used underwear, 1 gallon of milk, and...ferret poop!"

Slow down! I'm trying to write up my Christmas list! LOL

I really need to check into my local Freecycle. This could get interesting...

Brenda

• bonz
    18 years ago

1. Mostly blank paper (no other explaination)
    2. Musical potty chair
    3. 1/2 bottle Shampoo
    4. Box of old phone books
    5. Pet rat
    6. Attention Breastfeeders,I still have one tube of Lansinoh cream for your, um, nippular area. (actual post)
    And these are just from this morning!

My favorite was for "a bag of men's shoes, size 9, all for the left foot"

I answered one for a huge stuffed Winnie the Pooh. My friend had adopted a baby and did his whole room in Pooh. I was "awarded" him and when I picked him up he was perfect, brand new, never used.(The person even threw in a cute Pooh lamp.) My friend's husband is a huge sports person and hoped his son's room would reflect this. Every time a Pooh item was added he'd roll his eyes and shake his head. Another friend had Green Bay Packer pajamas her son outgrew so we stuffed Pooh into them (he looked adorable) and presented my find. Dad was happy that something sporty was finally in the room.

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Musical potty chair"

Awwwwwwww, MAN! You No'theners get ALL the good stuff!! :-)

On the other end of the spectrum I frequently see posts for free dogs usually with the obligatory lame excuses like they don't have enough time to spend with the animal or that the pet has become too big for their space. TRANSLATION: We got a Retriever puppy, it grew up, and we got tired of it. Makes me wanna vomit.

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Semper_Fi, yes there have been some really weird ones in the past, and today I noticed some one had a frozen turkey up for offer. :) arum

• goodkarma_
    18 years ago

Here's one. lol

have one soggy pumpkin and about 5 gourds. I know some of you have animals that might enjoy them. If they aren't claimed by tomorrow I'll just toss them out. But I wanted to offer them first. Pick up only. Mt. Vernon

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

ha! seems like i saw one of htose recently.
    i think freecycle is the greatest idea!

• Sherrie_Florida
    18 years ago

Semper_Fi,
    Not funny nor cool but just great. I lost my 4 KOI to a hungry heron.

I subscribe to freecycle locally. I saw the ad for the the KOI - who was almost homeless.

The family had too many KOI and I got to pick one. I would have taken any of those fish as they all were beautiful
    and one needed a home. I got the one they could catch (even large ones can move fast). I am so happpy to have
    him/her. I now have 2 large KOI.

• Sherrie_Florida
    18 years ago

And I thought you exaggerated!! For most mice/rats I would suggest a trap....not toys. But maybe I don't know what a dumbo rat is.

I WENT TO MY LOCAL FREECYCLE & READ THIS: dated 12/01/05

I am a new owner of a dumbo rat and I am looking for anyone with rat supplies i.e toys,bedding,cage,nesting material. Also am willing to take on one more rattie since Suki is lonely please email me.

• youreit
    18 years ago

OMG, the day has come. I know I've truly lost my marbles when I think that rats are cute. *running and screaming whilst pulling my hair*

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Oh, yeah, dumbos're cute, baby.

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Brenda, what adorable pictures! :) My daughter had pet rats and they were so smart, and she loved them. My second daughter is highly alergic. Her lip swelled up so bad you couldn't tell who or practially WHAT she was! :) arum

• pondmaninfl
    18 years ago

Brenda, my wife sends her thanks. The pictures convinced me to get rats when we move from here. :o(

G'day,
    Scott

• hnladue
    18 years ago

Rats are great pets!!! They will come when called and do learn their name!! Now I miss mine.... he was 3yrs old when he died from a stroke. wwhahhaa

• youreit
    18 years ago

Glad I could help, Scott. Yikes! :D

Admittedly, those dumbos don't look like the typical rats I've seen. My brother used to have a white one with pink eyes. Needless to say, that was one animal with which I never asked to cuddle. *full-body shudder* No offense to those who have white, pink-eyed rats, though.

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

lol, brenda. you have dropped off the deep end! :)
    i used to want a rat when i was a kid, a realllllly big one that could sit on my shoulder. well, i got a hamster instead.
    now, i will pass, but sometimes i still want that realally big rat. but, mostly that passed after the old man cat brought a corn crib rat in the house, alive.

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just posted yesterday:

"WANTED: looking for a Dorothy (as in Wizard of Oz) costume/dress in a 4T (or 5T or 6T) size."

No explanation given. Last I checked, Halloween is still a good 9+ months away. Things that make me go Hmmmmmm! :-)

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This one was posted today:

"Bought a house, has a Koi Pond and no pump. No idea how to keep a Koi pond. So, looking for a pump and any instructions on how to setup and maintain a Koi Pond and pump system."

What do reckon the odds are for survival for these koi???

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

Poor koi... I think perhaps a local pond expert and keeper of all things noble and true should volunteer a pump and some of HIS expertise.

As for those Dumbo Rats, WOW, Brenda, you're right, those ARE cute, or at least "cugly," huh?

One day I might like to have all manner of friendly rodents as pets, too... At present, however, I think Tater Tot would just convert them all into chew toys %-)

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

Semper. Sir.

Is that ad about needing koi help from someone near you? I bet they would **LOVE** a tour of Semperville!

There is a newlywed couple about 2 miles from us that have been setting up a pond in their front yard for the last year or so. Just for the heck of it I stopped there once when I saw they were playing with the placement of stones around their site. We started talking and I soon I was helping them to haul stones for their pond. :-)

It is a VERY nice design with 2 levels and plans for a waterfall to be completed this spring/summer. I told them that I was no expert in pond or fish matters but answered their questions as best I could based on our experiences at Camp Nappy. They have been to our home several times and we quickly became friends.

Funny how a moment in real life can turn into a real friendship!

Mike ®

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"...soon I was helping them to haul stones for their pond. "

Why oh why doesn't THAT surprise me???

Since I am clearly no expert or pretend to be a Know-It-AllÂ, I decided that the best help for this individual would be to find out about this forum. In the off-chance that Sequence warranties the external pump that I had purchased last year which got drowned in the remnants of hurricanes Cindy & Dennis, then he/she can have the replacement pump as well.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

I usually laugh at the wanted ads...like "free virgin mobile cell phone." or "free laptop" or...free police scanner...." Now...just why do they need a police scanner one wonders....

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

"Now...just why do they need a police scanner one wonders...."

Why don't you KNOW, Michigoose?!? I thought EVERYONE knew the answer to THAT!!!

They're listening to the police scanners for suspicious reports that MIGHT be aliens, so they can wrap their heads in aluminum foil to reflect the brain-control beams the aliens will use to control everyone when they get here... At least that's what all the folks I know with police scanners use them for (or at least I gather that's about their general mental state).

:-P

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Don't laugh....when I lived in CT there was a lady and her wierd husband down the street who called the cops several times because of a UFO landing in their back yard....and yes, they did wear tin foil hats. I know the police officer who responded.....they were a tad....strange. Their house was flamingo pink....not exactly a color you see very often on a very staid street in central CT!

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

"and yes, they did wear tin foil hats"

And just WHY are we NOT supposed to laugh at that?

If we CAN'T laugh at folks like THAT, who CAN we laugh at???
    :-P

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

From today's postings in Spartanburg Freecycle:

Subject: WANTED: Concrete

Wanted leftover/old dry concrete/cement. To make repairs to house
    fondation. Thanks.

-------------------------

I thought that one pretty well fit the bill... First, they don't know how to spell "foundation." Second, I'm thinking using OLD, broken cement to try to fix what is ALREADY old, broken cement AIN'T the way to go about it... How about fresh bags of cement/concrete poured in around, under, on top of the crumbling foundation?

I'm no home builder, but I'm guessing what they're asking for is more headaches (plus a lot of folks like me poking fun at 'em), huh?

:)
    Jeff

• semper_fi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Things that make you go eeewwww:

"OFFER: Rheem white toilet. No toilet seat($10 new). In working order, we just remodeled."

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County