Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairy_toadmother

hilarious misprint/ freudian slip!

fairy_toadmother
17 years ago

i dont know if this pushes the cleanliness button for gw or not.

in bbc america catalog, ad for english clotted cream adn double devon cream:

"Spread generously wiht jam on warm scones or served cold with fresh berries, the Devonshire specialty soothes the savage breast..."

Comments (15)

• youreit
    17 years ago

LMAO!!! Not sure just how savage it would have to be, but...I'm game! SO funny!

Just one is savage, I guess. The other is gentle. :D

Brenda

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Chuckle, chuckle, oh well, yep...LMAO too!...thanks FTM!

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Tittilating story, FTM! 8-)

I'll go stand in the corner...

• obsessed-nj
    17 years ago

Sorry to be prissy, but it's neither misprint nor Freudian, just borrowed from a famous quotation: Music hath charms to sooth the savage breast
    To soften rocks or bend a knotted oak.
    - William Congreve (1670-1729)

Never heard it applied to clotted cream though...titter,titter ;)

Linda

• catherinet
    17 years ago

LOL! that reminds me........a few years ago, we received a flyer from K-Mart around Valentines day. It was advertising all the things you could give your sweetheart. It had "Sweet Teats for your sweetheart". hahahahahaha What one little "r" can do!

• koijoyii
    17 years ago

A few months ago we got a Pet Supplies Plus ad in our Sunday paper advertising a 20 foot tie out leash for your dog, only it read 20 foot tit out leash.............Can you imagine.

• catherinet
    17 years ago

LOL! Sounds like some of these places should fire their proofreader!

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL!!! Those are hilarious! I really have to start checking out those sale ads more closely. :D

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

To be fair about the quote, I have been hearing that error since the fourth grade when everyone started being aware of human body parts and would get the stutters trying to say that word. Usually they would try to read it as beast rather than breast. The teacher who was making us memorize poetry informed us the word breast didn't refer to boobs. It referred to the part of the body that both sexes have and the sensations we get when we are emotional. We were still embarrassed but we said the poem correctly after that. My mother, a former teacher, told me she started to notice the embarrassment from her pupils around 1922. Language does change. Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

apparantly, i have never heard the correct version. still, we are talking cream here! :)

those are good ones, too!

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

This whole thread has been a big boobie trap for a 38 year old going on 13 like myself!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

I know my beastie, Pookie would be happy to have the clotted cream. I have had the chance to try it at a little tea shoppe while visiting in Colorado. I can assure you it was delicious. As for the poetry I think we have truly missed out on something due to television, mainly. Both of my parents and their siblings could recite volumes of poetry at the drop of a hat. One uncle had memorized most of Shakespeare and a cousin was able to do original speeches in Latin when she ran out of published works. All of them knew songs and melodies they had learned as children. Many were learned at church but there were many others. It seems that almost everyone in their generation was expected to be able to recite the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution of the United States of America, the Gettysburg Address and huge sections of the Bible. I thought I was doing good when I was able to memorize a couple of sonnets, songs and lines in plays. I think most younger people today would be surprised that the songs they listen to are poetry before they are lyrics. I know there are some who memorise whole CDs even if they sometimes don't understand all the words and get them wrong. The ones that read the old stuff haven't got a clue as to what those words mean. I remember one young woman saying to me that the government should be sending her a check because the constitution said it would provide for the common welfare. That makes me feel like a boob. Sandy

• horton
    17 years ago

Ah Semper, to be thirteen once again!
    Thanks for the mammary!

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

LMAO "H"!!! Your GREAT sense of humor has been udderly missed in this neck of the woods.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Oops. I seem to think I'm reading Hot Topics again.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz