Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
well...the tomatoes froze...

Posted by isis_nebthet 8b/11suns SoCA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 07 at 9:12

I got two that naturally ripened. They were good. Next year I will get them from home depot or the nursery rather than taking in orphans. The only thing we can figure out is that they were a hot house variety...

I had to rip out the frozen droopy plants before they started smelling..

Adrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: well...the tomatoes froze...

Start smelling???
Adrea, I'm glad you got to enjoy a few. We also got some orphan plants, they were tiny pear-shaped yellow grape tomato type thingies. We got to enjoy a handful and they were yummy. I had them in a pot on the deck. The pot is now sitting alongside the deck on the ground and the dead foliage is all shriveled, but I don't think it ever smelled?
I think I'll just leave the pot until next spring... it's all covered with snow out there... and cooooold...

:) Mary

o

Ditto on you getting the chance to eat at least a couple. May I suggest next year you try a grape or cherry type tomato in addition to one of the larger types. I grew 3 large plants in a huge outdoor planter. They were Bonnie Hybrids about 6" tall. You plant tomatoes deep, burying about 3/4's of the plant. It will get roots all along the buried stem.

Out front I planted one plant each of grape and cherry and for a while they were kicking but the pots ultimately were not big enough. Tomatoes need room.

When I used to plant tomatoes in the ground there was a variety of cherry tomato called Sweet Million and they were not lying about that. I'd go out every day fill a mixing bowl to the top and they self seeded too. I started those from seed in February in a small greenhouse windowsill with an eastern exposure and then put them out in late March using the Wall-0-Water teepees which work. It gave me fruit 1 month earlier for my area.

Really - start with good sturdy plants, but not too big. Skip the plants that already have flowers on them. They look nice but they are too big and resent transplanting. Find a plant that has a nice thick stem and dark green healthy leaves and bury it deep in good soil with all day sun. Water and fertilize regularly, remove almost all of the suckers that grow between the stems, and stake them at planting time.

You might want to try that spray hormone to prevent blossom drop. I was happy with it as almost all the blossoms set fruit.

Good luck next year!

o

It's still getting warm in the day here. 60-70 day but 30's at night. Tis ze desert...

I had some grapes and early girls but the rabbits got them. I'm thinking I'm going to be putting in a better fence this year. Something a bit sturdier than chicken wire.

Ocean wanted to try the hormones you mentioned but it was already October by the time we thought of it...

I'll be making sure there's once a week fertilizer next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here