Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Holiday Robber Ka-ra-TAY-Chopped

youreit
18 years ago

When I read this the other day, I literally LOL'd!! I wish I could see that surveillance video...

Brenda

Store Manager Makes Life Miserable for Would-Be Robber

A Modesto convenience store manager took matters into his own hands during an attempted robbery, not only forcing the would-be robber out the door but helping police catch him.

On November 21 at about 10:30 in the evening, Edward Petrossi was working alone at the Quik Stop store on La Loma Avenue. A man came in, picked up some beer and waited by the counter while the other customers left. The man then pulled a knife on Petrossi.

Unbeknownst to the robber, Petrossi is an expert in martial arts. He assumed a "ready" stance, then grabbed a pair of scissors and box cutter from under the counter and told the man to "bring it on." Petrossi said the man dropped the beer and fled.

Petrossi wasn't about to let the man get away. He gave chase, literally kicking the would-be thief through the store's front door.

Surveillance video captured the man stumbling through the door with Petrossi in pursuit. The suspect is seen getting to his feet, pulling up his pants and running off. Petrossi ran after the suspect into a neighboring parking lot. There the man approached a van but fled on foot when he saw Petrossi pursuing him. The store manager said he suspected the van belonged to the suspect, so he snapped a picture of its license plate on his cell phone camera.

Petrossi continued after the suspect, who looped back, got into the van, and attempted to drive away. His problems weren't quite over, though. Petrossi grabbed a rock and threw it through the driver's side window, shattering it.

The photograph of the license plate became part of the police report on the incident, and on Wednesday, 24-year-old Corey Allen Funk was arrested in Fresno for the attempted robbery. Funk is suspected in five robbery attempts in Modesto. Four of them were successful.

Funk is being held in Stanislaus County Jail on $250,000 bail.

Comments (17)

• bihai
    18 years ago

Don't try that at home, kids

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

Frankly, I am surprised that the ACLU, Jesse, or similar organization isn't up in arms, hooting and hollering that Mr. Funk's rights were violated!

A few years ago, a robber broke into a commerical building here in Atlanta. He was surprised by two guard dogs inside. Apparently, the owner had been fed up with repeated burglaries on his property and decided to "get even". The dogs pinned the would-be-robber in a corner until the staff arrived the next morning. After what translated to a slap on the hand for trespassing and attempted robbery, the thief filed a law suit against the owner of the building...... and won! Now where's the justice in that?????

-Semper (who knows Karate, Kung Fu, Judo, Taekwondo, Kobudo and a few other Chinese words.)

• mucky_waters
    18 years ago

Brenda said "I wish I could see that surveillance video..."

Video link here

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, YEAH! Thanks for the link, Mucky! That was as funny as I thought it would be. :D

No kidding, Bihai. Unless you're confident in your ability to kick someone's backside out dee doh, it's not a recommended deterrent. LOL

Unfortunately, that story doesn't surprise me one bit, Fig eye. In my world, if you break the law, you give up all rights afforded those with brain cells.

Brandy

• maryo_nh
    18 years ago

I LIKE it! Yeay for the store owner!

Kayyyyia!!!

:) Mary

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

"In my world, if you break the law, you give up all rights afforded those with brain cells. "

Amen to that Brandy D. Beav! :-)

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

It's just a shame Mr. Funk could run so well... would've been more fun if we could've seen Mr. Petrossi REALLY kick his butt! :)

I agree with ya 100% Brenda!

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

I knew there just had to be a video of what we were talking about in the "Got Link" thread somewhere on the World Wide Web.

LOL! For those keeping score at home:

Bad A$$es = 2
    Dumb A$$es = Nil

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ouch! But LOL! One word for the Browns fan - Aleve.

Brenda

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

The misbehaving Dawg was sentenced yesterday.

I'm not sure if not being allowed to watch the Super Bowl is much of a punishment for a suffering Browns fan though. *IF* by some miracle the Steelers do make it to the Big Dance this year, a more fitting punishment would have been to force him to watch the game. LOL!

• zinniachick
    18 years ago

He was an idget, no doubt. But five years' ban from Browns games? That's gonna leave a mark for sure. That video link is excellent, Semper. What a maroon!

Next year, Superbowl, for sure. I can feel it. Woof!

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

I actually found {{gwi:174491}} on someone's website while Googling "Albino Fawn". Pretty dang funny! Although I think I would have had a VERY hard time not popping a cap on the perpetrator's gluteus maximus!

• youreit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LMAO!!! That is just too funny! What an idiot! (And nice grab by the clerk! Whooo...)

Brenda

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Here's another outstanding story about someone helping to disinfect the gene pool...

Associated Press 5/30/06
    Midtown Rambo

A pack of would-be robbers figured a Midtown Atlanta waiter walking to his girlfriend's house after work Monday night would be an easy mark, according to police.

But, in Thomas Autry, 36, the bandits picked the wrong victim, said Atlanta police homicide Detective Danny Stephens because the victim turned out to be a former U.S. Marine.

The five suspects pulled up in a car and confronted the victim in the 500 block of Penn Street just before midnight armed with a shotgun, pistol, and brass knuckles.

Autry began running down the street yelling "fire, fire". Residents who heard him called 911. "During the chase, Autry's trying to get into his backpack to get a pocket knife, which slows him down," Detevetive Stephens said.

Two of the robbers jumped from the car. When one of the robbers pointed a shotgun at him, Autry kicked it out of his hands. Another suspect attempted to shoot Autry with a .380 pistol, which misfired.

At that point two of the robbers jumped on the victim. During the struggle he stabbed both of them. One, a teenaged female who has been identified as Amy Martin, died of her wounds. A second is in critical condition. The suspects ran back to the Cadillac and drove to Atlanta Medical Center, where police arrested them.

Autry suffered minor injuries. The surviving attackers face aggravated assault and robbery charges and are also believed to be linked to "a lot" of pedestrian robberies in Midtown and Virginia-Highland.

"This group had robbed two men on Piedmont earlier Monday night, taking a video camera and a cellphone," Stephens said.

Autry will not be charged, Stephens said. "It was a clear case of self defense."

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You go, girl!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Nurse strangles man hired to kill her

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Want to bet one of those survivors files a lawsuit against the ex-marine?

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

When I heard about that story, my first thought was: What kinda moron goes to carry out a hit with a claw hammer?!?! Glad the big nurse helped to disinfect the gene pool.

Sandy believe it or not these thugs didn't file a lawsuit. Instead one of them (or their buddies) tried to be their own judge and jury. A few weeks after the incident, there was a brief blurb on the local radio station that the hero of the story had just got home from work one evening to find somebody waiting there for him with a pistol. He was able to elude the gangter and quickly decided it was time to make scarce. The same evening he notified his employer that he would not return to work and has not been heard from ever since. It is sad world when the good guy has to completely alter his life because of these thugs.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting