Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Garden bench for Mom

youreit
17 years ago

Welp, Mom wants a garden bench for Christmas. I said, "But you never sit down!" She said, "You and I can sit out there and enjoy the plants..." Yeah, sure, Ma. I'll be sitting while you're darting around. :D

I can't believe the cost of them after searching online, though!

I'd like it to be backless, sturdy (in other words, not bistro-like or "delicate")...and different. DH is willing to build one, so if anyone has plans or links to plans, that would be great! I might be able to manage any ornamental add-ons (paint...or something) to make it different, if there aren't many original plans out there. Oh, and DH is thinking cedar or redwood. Good?

Advice very much welcome! :)

Brenda

Comments (67)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Jeanner, I don't believe for a minute that you won't be frantic on the 24th trying to finish up some marvelous new project you just thought of two days ago. Ho ho ho!!! I will be lucky to get the packages sent out on time.
    I just wish I was more like Mark. He plans out his project and gets all the prep work done before he tackles the main job. He can tell you just how, what, why and when. Half the work is done before he picks up a hammer and saw. Oh, to be competent in big things as well as the small.
    Brenda, you have no idea how much I envy you that your DH is not only willing, but able. I am awe struck. He deserves something special. I am sure you can figure out something. The last time my DH helped me on a project he wound up hyperventilating when I pulled back the safety guard on the rotary saw to get in a tight spot. It is a good thing he has other talents. Sandy

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Holy Kamole Sandy! I think the pain pills are making you delirious!!! :-)))

Some planning = good.
    Lots of planning = OK.
    Over planning = A curse!

That might explain why it took me 26 months to build a pond!!!

And remember, life is a marathan NOT a sprint. As Jeanner said, I have no doubt that next year *WILL* be better for you. No worries! :-)

• jeanner
    17 years ago

Well, Brenda, did you sit with your mom on her new garden bench????

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Heheh...well, my mom sat on it, right before the rains hit. We broke out the camera...and the batteries gave out. New set of batteries...gave out. So, the camera can't keep a charge. We're working on that.

Then, she decided she wanted a clear coating of protectant on it so it would keep its original color (rather than turning grayish). So DH put some of that on it the day after Christmas, and as of yesterday, when I spoke to her on the phone, it was still tacky (probably due to the wet weather we've been having).

I WILL get a pic of it the next time I go up...come hell or high water. :D

Thanks for asking, Jean!

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Mark, you are sweet. Thank you, Sandy

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

"Heheh...well, my mom sat on it, right before the rains hit. We broke...................."

Holy Kamole! You almost gave me a heart attack Brandy! My one remaining brain cell was filling in the blanks faster than I was reading the above sentence. :-)

Looking forward to seeing Mr. & Mrs. Youreit's crafty work.

Sandy, it is logically, physically, and technically impossible for ANY past/present jarhead to be that "S" word.

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

I love benches. I'm always looking at benches! Mark, the pics of the benches are great! I love the last bench!!!
    My garden needs a bench. It wants a bench.
    Did I say I love benches???

Brenda please let us see the results!!! Maybe by then the multiple cups of coffee will be out of my system. ;)
    Good luck with the project!

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

So PooPooPoo.... I don't get it... do you love benches or don't you?!?!

I tell you what... as a small thank you from all of us here for your son's many selfless sacrifices over the last few years, I'm gonna build you something similar to that last bench in the next few months. Now I can assure you that it won't look nowhere near as nice or finished as the one depicted in that picture since I've never built anything that rustic before... but hopefully it can do the job and serve as a bench where you can sit in your garden and enjoy some much needed DECAF coffee! :-)

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fi guy, what a nice thing to do!! I love that idea!

Poo, don't listen to him. We've all seen your craftsmanship, Mister Fi. I can't WAIT to see it in your garden, Poo! With a cuppa steaming joe sitting on it, too. :D

Ok, I'll be going up to my folks' soon...I hope. And I also hope our camera will get over it's difficult, teenage phase of running through batteries like there's no tomorrow. As soon as all of the planets are properly aligned in the universe, ladies and gents, I WILL deliver...the bench pic. Thank you. :)

Brenda

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Mark, what a generous offer! That is just the sweetest thing! But, come one, I can't let you do that. It's just way too expensive and too much trouble.

When I told my son and husband what you said, they just have me the ole "deer in the headlight" look and said, "Wow". Of course, I told them I was not going to let you do it.

Anyway, your offer is just as appreciated as if it were done. What a kind southern gentleman, you are! :)

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Poo, Poo, Poo! It is the very least WE could do as a miniscule thank you for all the sacrifices your son and in turn you and your family have made for US. Just for the record, this was originally C3D & Sir Nappy's idea and personally I thought it was GREAT. And trust me, it's neither expensive nor any trouble. It's FUN woodworking for crying out loud!!! Besides, the proverbial ball is already rolling... so one of these years you will have your garden bench (did I mention I'm slow?!). :-)

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Well, that's just the most touching and generous gester of my life, especially from people who have never met us.

If you are truly up to this, then ok. I guess, if the old perverbial ball is already rolling, I'm no one to stand in it's way. I certainly don't want to end up getting knocked over and a hip broken or any such "old lady" happenings!

P.S. Prayers requested from those who can and will, otherwise, wish us luck...My son is having a job interview next Tuesday for a crime analyst position with the Sheriff's dept. He's taking classes in criminal justice/crime analogy and he's excited about the prospect of using his military training to continue to serve the public.

Thanks again you wonderful people. :)

Brenda, it will be interesting to see who gets a garden bench first! ;P

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

WOW! That's a very tough field demanding incredible patience, dedication, and fortitude. His prior background will serve him well. He'll do fine but I will send prayers his way nonetheless. Can't hurt!

And Poo3... it is always wise NOT to get in the way of any XY chromosomer on a mission. My better-half learned this important lesson of life a long time ago. YEP! She now knows when to hold em, knows when to fold em, knows when to walk away, knows when...

CRAP! HERE SHE COMES! GOTTA RUN...

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL @ whipped gi! ;D

The prayers are flying around here for your wonderful son, 'Poo! Crime analyst sounds so exciting!

Brenda

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

LOL Mark. I can just see your better half turn sharply toward your direction, with hands on hips, give you one of "her" looks, and without a single word, get you to do EXACTLY what she wants! Pfft, XY chromosomer! Just kidding, of course! ;o

Thank you Brenda and Mark for the prayers and vote of confidence. I will keep you posted. :)

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Hi Poo³.

I just caught up with this thread because I kept drooling on the keyboard while looking at the posted pictures. LOL! What a mess!!! Awwww Semper, you are so sweet to make a bench for our friend! (We can take no credit.)

Sincerest prayers for your wonderful son and best wishes for success at his chosen career as a crime analyst. I'm sure he'll do great! :-)

Kindest regards to you and yours,

C3D and Mike

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Thank you Chicka Sweet Sweet Sweet lady and Mike!

You know, I can't express how much you all mean to this family. The transition of a family of 5 out of the military is very hard. Nothing really to establish a home due to all the moving and travelling, no job, no income. The stress level runs high at times. It's so wonderful to know that there are still people out there that truly care and understand this. It's not all bad though, my son and his family have received help and guidance from several helpful sources, the military included.

Your prayers and well wishes have become a great part in the positive things that we hold on to as a family determined to make it. :)

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

All,
    Hello, I am Poo's son; the recent soldier. My mom let me read this thread and I see what nice people you all are. Generosity and caring are dying elements of our society; I appreciate these things from all of you. I hope that you each find peace in the winter season; prayer and love can keep us warm through the hardest of times. As for me and my family; take care in knowing that we are well cared for by our families and friends. Soon this will all be passed us and we can get back on our feet, with any luck and some prayer. So, again, thank you for the kindness.
    Poos' Boy

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Oh, Poo's Boy,

Please take this in the nicest way........ You are THANKING US?!?!?!?!?

There are NO words in ANY language that can express our gratitude to you and your family for the sacrifices you have made for us! That also extends to all the USA Military.

May all of God's Graces bless you and yours!

In SINCERE gratitude,

C3D and Mike

Whatever the fight. Whatever the struggle. We firmly support our military! x 13 and more! :-)

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Cool! It isn't every day that us little people get the opportunity to rub elbows with greatness!

On a less serious note Poo's Boy, you didn't go by that name in your unit, right?! It DOES have a great ring to it... not sure if the guys in the barracks would agree though! :-)

Semper Fi,
    -Mark

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

BTW, we can NEVER thank you enough for all your sacrifices and hard work.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

I ditto Chickie and Semper. I could never figure out if the rules and regulations on moving from the military helped or made things worse. My sister and her DH were career military many, many moons ago. Moves were sometimes abrupt and long distance. Once my sister came home from her teaching job to find her household being dismantled by a group of soldiers who had been told they needed to move yesterday. When they finally got to a place to unpack, she found the undersink trashcan in a box of recipe books with the garbage still in it. She tossed the whole box and said it was pretty minor since they had been told to pack EVERYTHING. Once they lost a car- overboard. She didn't hear from her hubby for 3 months. Truly I worry about the families being forced to deal with lost income, lost jobs, lost homes, damaged relationships, etc. with the prolonged deployments. None of this was ever thought to be part of the deal. I am so glad you are home with family and friends. I wish the other troops were home as well. Sandy

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I FINALLY got a pic of Mom's bench! She just put the thing out in the yard (DH put a coat of sealer on it at Christmas), because (get this) she was worried about it being in the elements! LOL She worries about the silliest things! I told her that the bench is meant to be USED.

Now, I'm trying to talk her into putting a small water feature near it. :)

Brenda

{{gwi:174555}}

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

OUTSTANDING!

Is that really redwood??? I didn't realize there was such a variation in color in those. I've never worked with it, so I dunno. The tone and the grain is VERY similar to western red cedar which I know well.

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I had to ask DH (memory isn't what it used to be), but it sure enough is redwood, Fi guy! It was by far the most accessible. Even though I'd originally wanted to stick with the cedar, I'm very happy with how this turned out. :)

My turn to get one now! LOL

Brenda

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

"memory isn't what it used to be"

Boy, do I know what you mean!

• jeanner
    17 years ago

Ohhh, very nice! I love the curved seat, looks very comfy. Definitely needs a water feature (or a bird bath :^)!

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The curved seat is VERY comfy! Malone the pug and I sat on it more than Mom did. Then she freaked about his muddy paws leaving marks. All was fine when I pointed out how slimming the bench was to Malone's waistline. I highly recommend it as a must-have pug accessory!

(Tried to get a pic of that, but he was my shadow...and "stay" doesn't translate well for him.)

Brenda

• drevalvo
    16 years ago

Just ran across this post looking for inexpensive ideas for a garden path, and now I HAVE TO HAVE that last "rustic" bench that Mark posted. Where in the world, (preferably Missouri) would one find wood for a project like this?

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

From the info on Mark's pic, it looks to be alligator juniper (Juniperus deppeana), which is native to the southwest and Mexico. (Wait until you see the bark on that above link!) It figures, doesn't it? That was my favorite out of them all, too.

There are seeds available online, though, if you'd like to try your hand at growing your own. They're hardy to zone 5, as well. :)

Brenda

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

"Where in the world, (preferably Missouri) would one find wood for a project like this? "

Some good local lumber yards will sell you precut slabs of wood or some might even be able to rough cut to the dimensions that you request. If you aren't sure where to find these gems, contact a local high-end cabinet maker and ask them where he/she gets his lumber material. A lot of the better lumber yards cater to woodworkers and cabinet makers.

The slab of wood will have a very natural (i.e. rustic) unfinished look to it but it will also come at a cost because the wood may still be somewhat "green" and may require additional prep time and a lot more work. So it's important that you try to find a wood suitable for outdoor use (eg. western red cedar, redwood, cypress, ipe, mahogany, teak, Spanish cedar, white oak, paduak, afrormosia, etc.) that has had enough time to dry and has a low moisture content.

Let us know how it goes.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Posted by Me z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 21, 07 at 9:55

"Now, I'm trying to talk her into putting a small water feature near it. :)"

Well, she's going to get one this Christmas whether she wants it or not! :D

We had a small pump laying around that was I going to use for a spitter in my pond. Last year, my dad gave me one of those {{gwi:174534}} (similar to the one in the pic, only terra cotta colored and not rusted...:D). We found a "Feather-Lite" half whiskey barrel planter (all dark wood colored, not weathered like this one) at OSH for 20 bucks, and voila! Mom gets a water feature this year next to her nifty bench!

And if she doesn't fully appreciate it, I will gladly take it back. LOL

Brenda

• comettose
    16 years ago

Oh Mom is going to LOVE IT I'm sure! How nice for the two of you to be able to sit on the bench and kibitz while relaxing to the sound of running water! I forsee many hours of enjoyment and good times spent with your Mom.

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Great idea Brenda! I bet the birds will like it too.

I have two of those hand pumps, one is in my bathroom - it's part of the "gardening decor". The other is for my back deck, it's part of the "bathroom decor" - yes a bit tacky but I DO live in Ohio!. On the deck I was going to use the pump above the washstand and recirculate the water. I also have a baby tub which servers as a great planter. I haven't yet found the right toilet though :^)

• maryo_nh
    16 years ago

jeanner, you're too funny. How about an outhouse-bench-type thingie? With a few pieces of weathered wood one might put such a thing together almost authentic looking.

Brenda, that's going to be such an oasis! Aaaahhhhhhhh. Relaxing.
    *note to self: must remember for when we retire*

:) Mary

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, CT! I have to admit, the ONLY reason I'm going through with this is because, after months of dropping hints to Mom, she mentioned it ONE time. When I got excited about it, she said, "But I'm just not sure yet, so don't get all worked up." LOL She's such a brat...and a Virgo. :D

Another concern is....well, you know how, the older you get...and you hear running water? How it makes you want to head to the bathroom? She's that way. LOL!! I'll just try not to make her laugh when she's out in her bench area, so as not to add to the problem. :D

Jean, your decorating sounds fabulous to me! Would love to see pics of those hand pumps! Rustic is my favorite style. :D

Brenda

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Great suggestion Mary! And a corncob on a rope hanging from the railings would be just the right touch! What I REALLY want is an outside shower, one that is functional with hot water.

I don't have pictures of the pumps or the wash basin but I will try to get some this weekend. Here's the tub, I originally wanted to make it a water feature but it leaks.
    {{gwi:174559}}

Here it is as a planter, you really can't see it once the plants take over but thats okay because it hides the ugly deck.
    {{gwi:174563}}

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's gorgeous, Jean! I love it as a planter! Is that Nemesia 'Blue Bird' trailing all through it? One of the favorite plants in my garden! :)

I'm rather worried now. The half-barrel thing might have a leak, and we realized after buying it that it's supposed to be used as a planter! Doh! I hope we can figure something out before Christmas, and keep it simple....and inexpensive. :(

Brenda

• comettose
    16 years ago

Jean - your deck is beautiful. The birds must love it!

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Uhh, I think you might be right about the Nemesia 'Blue Bird' but I am really bad at plant names - there was also a yellow one in there somewhere but I think it got crowded out. Gee, I wonder why - I need to take lessons from comettose, her planters are much neater. And thanks CT - unfortunately not much in there for the hummers but I had three hanging baskets of lantana which they really liked.

Brenda, I think they sell liners for the barrels to be used as water features or maybe you can line with a scrap of pond liner????

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I'm going to just get one of those half-barrel inserts and be done with it. DH has been wielding the silicon tube, threatening to "seal the bejeezus" out of the barrel, and he must be stopped. :D My original plan was to just get a bucket (preferably black), bury it, put in the pump, and load it with rocks, so she'd have a small, disappearing fountain. However, DH became enraptured with the barrel when he saw it at OSH. Ack! LOL

I've heard that the other forms of Nemesia caerulea are a lot less hardy and reliable than the 'Blue Bird'. I've had mine for at least 3 years, and it only gets better as it goes.

I LOVE plump plantings! Neat is highly over-rated. LOL

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, we didn't go with an insert, since a) I couldn't find one in Dec. in CA, and b) I think this planter is much smaller than a true half whiskey barrel. DH rigged up a liner patch along the whole bottom, and it's been holding water since Dec. 26th. Yippee! LOL

When we got there, I had to bribe Mom to sit still inside the house while we set up the surprise gift. Mom doesn't sit still, so I threatened her with Duct Tape. :D As soon as we were done, I set her loose, and she quickly scampered outside to find her "treasure". Thank god, she loved it. :)

Dad, ever energy conscious, unplugged it the first night after everyone else went to bed. Mom basically told him, "Homey don't play that!" Mom reports that he doesn't mess with it now. LOL

It's not what I had planned (wanted it pondless & in-ground...or with the hand pump behind the barrel, not on it...etc.), but it worked out well. It's set up so that when they go onto the back patio to light a fire in the pit (off to the left in the pic), they can hear the fountain across the fence in the front. My brother also got Mom some neat little bamboo shade lights to hang in the Pyracantha above the bench! It looks very pretty at night.

Ok, I'm done with my novella. :D

{{gwi:174567}}

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    16 years ago

Brenda, that looks so lovely! You and Mom should indeed sit there of an evening enjoying the sounds in the fading light... so romantic. And I notice GREEN in that picture! I so miss that color...

Btw, are you in the path of that storm that's brewing?

:) Mary

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Such a lovely corner! You've built her a little oasis - all it needs now is a bird feeder :^)

Whats the plant in the corner??

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, ladies! Oh, Jean, don't think I haven't considered the bird feeder! LOL I think Mom is worried about that, because she sees how I've become a slave to my birds (not that I'm complaining!!!). What she doesn't quite understand is just how rewarding it can be, even if they tend to be little piggies. :D

In front of the Pyracantha (the top is out of frame) is a potted Aucuba japonica 'Variegata', a.k.a. gold dust plant. She's still waiting for the possible return of the Dicentra, or bleeding heart, in the gray pot. I'm thinking it will emerge any time now, just so it can check out the fountain. :D

Oh, when my folks were without power, Mom asked Dad if he unplugged her fountain again. Doh! LOL

Brenda

• LEDinStone
    9 years ago

Hello,
    i want show this ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: bollard

This post was edited by LEDinStone on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 9:14

• LEDinStone
    9 years ago

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/semper_fi/untitled-1.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:174536}}

• LEDinStone
    9 years ago

good ;]]

• LEDinStone
    9 years ago

ghrÃÂát http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/semper_fi/602_contemporarydovetailbench1.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:174544}}