Winter

sleeplessinftwayne
14 years ago

We had the first snowfall today.

Comments (24)

• catherinet
    14 years ago

We did too Sandy.
    I live north of Indy. It was only an inch, but turned the roads to ice. It was horrible.
    Usually I love the first snowfall, but this time I had a doctor's appointment I didn't want to miss, so had to go out in it. Fortunately, I just got new tires.
    Are you in the path of that big oncoming storm? I think we'll just miss it, but we're supposed to get 50-60 mph winds tomorrow (wednesday). I'm worried about all the squirrels up in those flimsy nests.
    I just love having it snow, and being able to stay home. I always want to bake cookies when I see the first snowfall. :)

• sheepco
    14 years ago

Couldn't have come at better time....got home from a 2-day 700 mile road trip to NW South Dakota for work last night about 9pm. Beautiful drive. Cold, snowing, blowing tonight. Weatherman can't decide if we'll get 2-3" or 10-12". But I'm leaving for Naples Florida Saturday am for a week visit with my good friend :) ..... come on! Would have been a waste of Florida sunshine if it was 50 here!!

Meanwhile Herb and the minis are sheltered and fed and the tank heater is working, the fish are dormant and sheltered and the tank heater is working, the house is looking festive (if still messy) for the holidays...never mind the shoppings only 1/2 done and the cards? What cards? I think I'll write my Christmas cards in Florida while sitting on the lanai sipping a mojito :)

I've got a good supply of corn on hand for the corn stove, and the freezer is full, and I got just enough of the garage cleaned out to squeeze the Jeep in there for this storm.

So maybe I didn't get all the gardens put to bed, but God or Mother Nature will take care of what needs to be taken care of...and the rest? I they aren't hardy enough to withstand my neglect there are always other varieties :) And I love to shop for new varieties! (A good winter hobby)

I'm just glad winter didn't really start 'til today - that much shorter - and too long as it is. I'll deal with it when I get back from sunny Florida!

:o) Sarah

• sheepco
    14 years ago

And then I just plugged in the tree and the upper 1/2 of the lights are out....Don't ya just hate that?

S

• annedickinson
    14 years ago

I love snow!!! We had about 10" or more. Did a 360 turning onto our street!! WOOOO that was a rush. No traffic coming (rural area) no danger, so I just enjoyed it.

• sheepco
    14 years ago

LOL Anne!! I heard you got hit hard out east, we still only have about 3" here in mid-west MN, but the windchill is brutal. I like snow too - it's the -12F this morning that makes it less inviting to be out and about :)
    Does it stay around when you get that much?

S

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We were supposed to have 40oF weather on Wed. but that storm changed that. So much for the water change after the landscapers helper dumped all those leaves in the pond. There is suddenly an inch of ice on the water but the Skippy is still merrily pushing out water even with a frozen waterfall surrounding it. I may need a new hose if that water change is to get done. The old one is frozen to the ground.

• sheepco
    14 years ago

Sandy, hope you're planning on changing "help" next fall! What a disaster. Maybe you'll get a bit of a thaw to finish cleaning up after him.

I'm a firm believer that you can't have too much hose. Unlike my good friend and neighbor that planted $3500 worth of new trees for his windbreak and then kept borrowing my hoses to water them. "No sense BOTH of us having hoses out there rotting in the weather" is his theory! LOL. (Fortunately he was very good about returning mine. And as he points out - with a smirk - I can always buy my own tractor instead of borrowing his...)

This summer I helped him plant an asparagus bed, so he's still borrowing 'em. At least I won't feel like I have to keep sharing my aspargus!

So go ahead, buy another chunk of hose. Or put it on your Christmas wish list!

• annedickinson
    14 years ago

Once we get snow it ususally is here full time until March or April. By the middle of the winter it is usually waist deep or more.

• hardin
    14 years ago

Reading all of the above posts made me jump up and go stand in front of my heater. Being farther south, we have had some cold weather, but no snow or ice. We have possible snow storm in the forecast next week. But so far, we have varied anywhere from the upper 20's for lows to about the 40's and 50's for highs.
    Here's a picture of the biggest snow I can remember down here. Parents built the snow bear. I'm 43 now, and I was about 11 or 12 with my 2 little sisters. This was about 1978, I think.
    {{gwi:166332}}

• sheepco
    14 years ago

I'm back, and let me tell you, December in Florida is pretty darn nice...

{{gwi:174797}}

{{gwi:174798}}
    this is the gulf, not a pool :)

{{gwi:174799}}

But it got up to 22F here today, so it wasn't as bad as last week when it only 'got up' to 2F....

Happy Holidays! S

• hardin
    14 years ago

Oh, I'm SO jealous.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dang! Wish the guy in the truck had someone tell him to drive carefully. I was so glad the shopping was finished and there was no traffic when the only vehicle in the oncoming lane was suddenly crossways in my lane. And he was only 30... no 20 feet in front of me and the roadway way was black ice. Not quite 2 seconds later I was wondering why there was a gallon jug of orange juice between my face and the steering wheel. The air bag didn't quite work but there were two dents in the jug that matched up with my nose and chin. Anyone know how to bronze a plastic jug?
    Thankfully no one was seriously injured although my nose is a new shape from the swelling, my knees and shoulder are painfully bruised and my right hand is swollen. The girl behind me missed any physical injuries but her car is messed up. The truck looked ok but three wheels were off in the snow. The driver seemed to be alright. My SUV is likely to be trash since the engine is partially in the front seat. The gorgeous chocolate and whipped cream pie everyone had been admiring is spread over everything. This is the first time I've been in an accident where defensive driving was no use. It happened too fast.
    Seasons greetings, everyone.

• sheepco
    14 years ago

OMG Sandy, I'm so glad you weren't hurt worse!

I truely hope your 2010 starts out on a better note. Merry Christmas, now STAY HOME and wait out this next storm (if it gets all the way to you) they're predicting 20" to 26" for us here in the next 72 hours.

My mom called me this afternoon to see if I thought she should even take the turkey out to thaw - my sister and I both live within 15 miles of the folks and we may not be able to get there. We'll see....
    BTW, I told her yes, we'll cook it and celebrate Saturday or even Sunday if we have to :)

Take care of your bumps and bruises! S

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Sarah. It has been frustrating. The worst part is I couldn't wrap and mail out the gifts. At least I don't have children on my list this year. The doctor prescribed Prednisone so maybe things will get better. Stay warm and stay safe. Sandy

• catherinet
    14 years ago

Oh Sandy, that's awful! I hope you have no lingering pains.
    Aren't you the one that got a rod put in your back a few years ago? I hope that didn't get hurt.
    Accidents are such a hassle, even when you don't get hurt.....just dealing with repairing/replacing/ car and being totally inconvenienced.
    I hope you feel better soon!

• sheepco
    14 years ago

Happy Boxing Day!

• sheepco
    14 years ago

Had a wonderful after Christmas jaunt with my Mom to Minneapolis for a bit of culture and lots of shopping for bargins! Stayed over in a nice hotel and shopped our way home - finally had to stop when the Jeep got full :) Saw The Sound of Music.

Great fun, and the roads were pretty decent after the 12 - 14" of snow the previous 3 days. Thankfully we never did get the wind they were predicting.

Mom and I have been doing this annual trip for 15 years, she's 76 now and was diagnosed with breast cancer in October. Just started radiation 10 days ago after recovering from a lumpectomy - no nodes involved - so the outlook is excellent. Thanks to yearly mammograms.
    Had to get our toot in before she starts to tire - she's usually an energizer bunny.

Happy New Year - A special toast to all you Moms out there!

S

• catherinet
    14 years ago

Sounds like you had a really good time with your mom Sarah!
    Glad to hear that her prognosis is really good. Sounds like you have a great mom, and she has a great daughter!
    Happy New Year to you and your mom!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was so self involved I forgot what I meant to say!
    Happy New Year every one! I hope this new year and decade brings you all the best. Even if it doesn't, remember your friends here on the ponding forum will always have room for you in their thoughts and hearts. I know I will. Sandy

• sheepco
    14 years ago

Well it's STILL winter and not letting up! Down to -25F with windchills at -45F tonight. Brrr! No snowshoeing for me in the near future Anne! The I90 freeway is shut down across most of MN and SD due to blowing and drifting snow.

But the minis are out there kicking up their heels like it's spring! Dashing around, heads up, eyes bright...having a ball! They are so fuzzy!

My pond is under a 2' snow drift, but there's still a hole open around the tank heater.

I think I'll leave my Christmas tree up another week...with the drapes shut and the tree lights on and the corn stove running it's warm and cozy feeling at home, I can pretend it's not so bitter outside.........time to get some friends together for some Mah Jong to pass a cold afternoon.

Sandy - are you recovered? Got new wheels yet? And most important - did Santa bring new hose? :o)

Stay warm everybody - I hope you southerners make it through these cold days with no serious damage.

S

• sheepco
    14 years ago

WooHoo! - got UP to 15F today! Got a chance to go out and pet the minis :) Supposed to hit the mid 20's tomorrow :)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The nasty temps are still here. I can't believe I enjoyed similar temps up in Wisconsin. Somehow you just feel it more here.
    Yep, I have new wheels, or at least new to me. DH picked out a 2006 Toyota Highlander on the internet. Needed a small loan to cover the difference between the Mazda Tribute and this one. The other driver's insurance covered the total loss. I am just happy that the engine didn't get any further into the front seat. I had two small abrasions on my knees from the carpet covering the firewall as the only visible injuries. The ligaments from the patella sting when any pressure is put on them and an egg sized lump appeared there ten days after the accident. A huge bruise showed up on my right shoulder and a nerve in the right arm has been hurting off and on.
    It shocked me to find out that some injuries show up only after days or even weeks. I don't think anyone ever told me that before. My DH's niece is a nurse practitioner and gave me the news after Christmas. She says it can be more than six weeks. No wonder both insurance companies said they would check up on how I was doing in a month or so. My sister insists I should be keeping a daily journal.
    I am just so happy I have no lasting injuries I'm not sure I would quibble over a couple of Doctor's office visits. I remember as the SUV and truck were separating I saw through the front window that metal was shredding in 6 to 10 inch wide ragged strips and I was so happy it was nowhere near me. It just occurred to me that none of the windows broke! How many ways did I luck out? I mean my SUV was totaled! Not only did I walk away with only bumps and bruises but every one else did too.
    I opened a new can of coffee this morning and found two big splotches of that Chocolate pie on it. DH is still griping about that pie. I hope Sam's Club is still selling them so I can get a replacement. LOL! When the biggest gripe is the loss of a Chocolate pie, you have to be lucky.
    Talking about lucky, someone else felt lucky too. My car wound up perpendicular to the cars in the Bingo Parlor's parking lot. When I looked out my side window all I could see was the huge shiny front bumper of a brand new luxury model SUV. I mean it was gorgeous! It was so close I couldn't open the door all the way. About 15 minutes after the accident this huge man came running out from the Bingo Parlor. Someone there had mentioned the wreck and when he looked out the window it looked like my SUV and his had met front bumpers. I thought he was going to fall over when he got there. For the next ten minutes we were entertained by this huge man dancing around the parking lot shouting how lucky he was! I think everyone was laughing.
    Wish I had a chance to see your minis, Sarah. I have always enjoyed them. I really need to get out and put the deicer in the pond. To my surprise the waterfall is still working despite the cold but I'm really pushing my luck there.

• sheepco
    14 years ago

Sometimes the 'powers that be' are looking out for us. Sounds like they were looking out for you and some others that day.
    Unless hubby has been nice lately, I'd only get him a new pie if he won't throw out your 'important' stuff :o)

Hope the bruises are fading!

S

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sorry Sarah, the pie was for me. DH was griping because that pie seemed to get on everything in the car except for me. He got it all over himself when he was trying to get everything out. He kept finding it on things all week.