Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondmaninfl

Frances's day at the vet.

pondmaninfl
18 years ago

My puppy, Frances, was dropped off at the vet's office this morning by my wife. Frances didn't want to go in. It upset my wife watching her struggle. I, myself, couldn't help thinking about the puppy all day at work.

This evening, I went to pick the puppy up from the vet. I had missed her when I got home after work greeting me at the door. I missed that face in the window. I was nearly blubbering while waiting for them to bring her out. When she came out, she was still groggy and sore. I felt bad for her but was so happy to see her. I drove her home, petting her all the way. She was happy to be home. I was happy to have her back.

Now I'm worried about her. We have found blood in a few spots where she has been laying. She had been spayed today. Is this normal? I don't want to lose my puppy. She is a year and a half old. I love her so much.

G'day,

Scott

Comments (18)

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

Scott, I'm not a vet nor do I play one on the internet! But having had several pups "tutored" over the years, I can tell you that a small amount of blood ooze from the incision area is not at all unusual. Just make sure that she doesn't gnaw on the stitches. We have used warm compresses to keep the swelling and the discomfort to a minimum.

This is one of the many instances where our beloved resident vet's advice is sorely missed.

• imaginators
    18 years ago

Scott,
    Is your puppy wearing a donut ring around her neck? If not and she starts to lick her wound, she will need the donunt ring. It will help her from licking at it and be able to heal.
    Theresa

• somethinsfishy
    18 years ago

Ditto all of the above Scott and Frances should be just fine. Awwe puppy love! :o)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

Hey Scott, I remember how stressed our whole family was when our Lady was 'fixed'. If she had not been a rescue dog from the pound the doc would have refused to do it and almost decided not to do it and not tell the SPCA. She may not have had papers but she was obviously a purebred Dalmatian with the most beautiful blue eyes. She was dopey and too wiped out to do much more than whimper at us all that evening and yes there were some blood spots and we were all miserable about the whole thing. We kept a hot water bottle tucked in the blanket and she liked that and we petted and rubbed and hugged her whenever she wasn't sleeping. She perked up a bit the next day and played with a little white squeak toy for a while when she wasn't being cuddled. The next day she was cuddling the squeak toy. Pretty soon it was obvious that the squeak toy had become her baby! It was cleaned and nosed around, pushed up against her belly and carried everywhere. We were not allowed to come anywhere near it. No puppy ever had such a devoted momma. That lasted about 3 weeks until finally the hormones settled down and the toy was just a toy again but she did keep it remarkably clean and she never really lost track of it. If Francis seems to be really down or fussing too much with any stitches you might try getting a surrogate 'baby'. The vet we had said it made things a lot easier for her since it allowed her to react to the hormone rushes normally and heal better. Sandy

• maryo_nh
    18 years ago

So, Scott, go find a white squeeky toy! Or a brown one, for Frances.
    Yes, my two girls, same thing. But make sure it's only spots. If it really bleeds, call the vet. My vet is really good with calling back after hours for a chat, he doesn't seem to mind giving perfectly good advice for free over the phone. I wish you a vet like that also!

:) Mary

• youreit
    18 years ago

That is so cute! Not the blood, of course, the love of your puppy. It sounds normal, so far (the blood, not the...never mind). When she's all better, we need updated PICS of sweet FRANCES!!! Please. :)

Brenda

• imaginators
    18 years ago

Well since I only have a male purebred pyrenees dog..not fixed. Now don't give me a lecture. He is always either inside our home or tied up to get fresh air. He is a virgin with lust dreams of finding his mate. Ha! Poor old guy will just have to dream of reality. I have never had to care for a female dog in this situation. But I do have 3 female cats. Almost all my cats are fixed. My husband refuses to have Saint our dog fixed and now that Saint is 12 years old, it is probably not a good idea. I think the substitute toy sounds wonderful in getting your sweet female dog, Frances through this tough time for her.
    Theresa

• pondmaninfl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I can rest a little easier tonight. The bleeding has stopped. It was only spots but big spots. On carpet! She is moving around a lot more. She is able to keep things down now. Her first real food since her surgery? What else but Checker's fries. She loves them. I took her on her normal walk tonight and I kept an eye on her. If she showed any sign of tiring, I would of brought her back home.

I'm going to get groceries at Wal-Mart tomorrow. So I'll pick up a cuddly toy for her. If what you say is true with her, maybe she won't rip this one up. :o)

Thanks all so much. I will get them pictures soon, Brenda.

G'day,
    Scott

• goodkarma_
    18 years ago

Good news Scott. Things to look for when you check her incision would be gaps or puckering along the suture line. Increased discharge with a foul smell, also increased heat in the surrounding area (only check for this with clean hands if you notice increased discharge). Also if she becomes listless or agitated then check her gums to make sure they are nice and pink. She will be back to snuff in no time. Best wishes,
    Lisa

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

Hey, Scott, I don't know if it makes a difference but the toy was about the size of a newborn Dalmatian puppy and was so soft that the slightest touch would make it squeak. Lady loved to nose it about into the curve of her belly and the squeak make her very happy. Her confused hormone production even made her lactate for a couple of days. Our Vet was fascinated by the whole thing. The toy was one that had been around the house for a while but had been ignored by Lady. The Vet bought a case of similar toys to give out to other dogs being neutered. Sandy

• pondmaninfl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This morning I fixed her some dog food(Ol' Roy canned beef and Soft and Tender beef) with a little milk in it. It only half filled her bowl. Well, she cleaned her bowl and it stayed down. My DW had to work this morning painting the boss's office (brown nosing :o)) so I took Frances out as she was leaving. She had her first bowel movement without any complications. Then she decided to go for a little run. She's much better now. Presently, she is on the sofa gone bobos. :o)

G'day,
    Scott

• youreit
    18 years ago

LOL!! Frances is such a good girl! And she sounds pretty resilient, too. :D

Sandy, that's such a great idea Lady had! She may have changed the recovery process for puppies everywhere! :)

I'm getting that warm, fuzzy feeling.

Brenda

• pondmaninfl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I got the toy for Frances. A little puppy looking thing. I hope that isn't her maternal instinct. If it is, it's a good thing we got her fixed. I gave it to her in the kitchen. She ran to the living room with it and shook the dickens out of it. I don't think she is having problems with her hormones yet. :o)

G'day,
    Scott

• somethinsfishy
    18 years ago

We want pictures Scott!!! :o)

• pondmaninfl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It was two weeks ago today that she got spayed. Today she had to go back to have her stitches removed. She totally suprised me. The vet took the leash and Frances ran back there with her. Five minutes later, they came back.

I don't think she minds the vet as long as there is no cage envolved but I don't think she wants to go back to that kennel that we left her at when we went up to Alabama for Christmas. She just layed around when I got her home and when I fed her, she ate it like she hadn't been fed all weekend. The next time, I will get her in three weeks or more before we go on a trip at the nice new kennel in town.

G'day,
    Scott

• sheepco
    18 years ago

Scott, I'm so glad Frances is recovered! For the 25 years I've been a vet tech we have tried to make it 'fun' for pets to come to our clinic. We use lots! of praise, treats (when appropriate) and snuggling, but there are still many dogs and cats that fear us.

Think about it - you're a cat, you don't go outside, the once a year you do go out you get stuffed in a carrier, set on the back seat in a noisy car, rocked to and fro, arrive at the VET'S, get poked and prodded and stuck with needles...or a dog - oh boy! ride in the car! Yeah! Get to the VET'S - lot's of reeaally weird smells, tile floors - not ALLOWED on tile floors (or, read carpet), then get poked and prodded and stuck with needles...

I feel the same way about going to my doctor.

I wish I could make it better for my patients...we make a huge deal about making new AND old patients feel special but it's still VERY stressful for them. Good for you for taking to get her to visit the kennel (or vet) before a trip. Stopping in for an occasional visit where no 'harm' is done can help relax our pets.

PS - Many dogs and especially cats, don't eat very well when boarded and will eat ravenously when they return home. Some will even lose weight or get diarrhea due to stress. It's just one of the things pet owners must acknowledge...providing a safe environment for our pets while we are on vacation is far better than leaving them alone. I chose to think that my own pets have a good life...I give them the best I can, and if I must leave them, I try to leave them in good hands, and I know they hold no grudges when I return.

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

I just got around to reading this thread, Scott, and am glad to read Frances came through everything well... When I had Tater Tot neutered at 6 months, he seemed almost back to normal the next day, except for a bit of tenderness... was like he never had the surgery in a couple days or so...

And I remember we had Gizzmo spayed at 6 months, also, and the vet told us to not let her be very active or jump up on anything for a few days -- FAT CHANCE -- she wasn't home 10 minutes before she jumped up in her favorite chair... never a problem, as soon as the anesthesia wore off, she acted like she'd not even had surgery... She was a spunky little girl in those days.

And of course Tater Tot is my Wild Thing (and also my "little buddy"). I've finally got him housetrained well enough that I'm letting him sleep with me most nights... We put him in his bed, which is still in the pet cage, and close it up about 8 p.m. Just have to ask him to go to bed, and he does -- and then waits for his doggie biscuit -- but he learned that one REALLY quick, lol... Then I give him a nite-nite snack not long before MY bedtime -- just did a while ago... give that time to get things "moving," take him outside to do his business and then we're off to bed together with his OLD squeaky, which he bit a hole in several months ago and is no just a shell of its former self, so it no longer squeaks, but he still loves it (he has a new one of the same squeak toy -- we bought close to dozen from Wal-Mart, at 92 cents, each, so we can replace them as he wears them out).

My thinking is I let him take the OLD, non-squeaking one to bed, where he chews it and shakes it, but DOESN'T make all kinds of squeaking noises while I'm trying to read before I go to sleep... Lately, he'll get tired of playing before I'm done reading and paw at my covers, which I then raise and he crawls up underneath and curls up by my legs... usually ends up by my chest, though.

I just LOVE IT! :)

And I'm so happy for you and Sarah that Frances Jean has brought so much joy into YOUR lives!

Happy Puppylovin'!
    Jeff

• pondmaninfl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Frances would love to jump up in our bed and sleep with us. The only thing is, we would need a king size bed. She likes to stretch out when she sleeps. She does have an old comforter folded up in the floor in the bedroom that she sleeps on. Sometimes she will sleep on the floor next to my side of the bed. I use to have to feel around with my bare feet to make sure that I wasn't stepping on her.

G'day,
    Scott