Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

Autism Assistance Dog

sheepco
16 years ago

Just got this e-mail, I don't really know much about these dogs talents. I'll link the site after they show it.

Wow... I can only imagine what this can mean for these kids and their parents, this is just a beginning... 1 out of 166 kids in the US is diagnosed with autism...

'Dear Friends,

We are happy to share some exciting news! Our new Autism Assist Dog program will be highlighted on WCCO-4 this Friday, December 28th at 10pm. The story features the Schuler family and 'Reno', our first certified Autism Assist Dog team! If you arenÂt able to catch the story, once it airs it will be available at www.hsdm.org.

We thank you all for making our Autism Assist Dog program possible and for helping families, like the SchulerÂs. There is a need for Autism Assist Dogs and other types of Assistance Dogs in our community and we couldnÂt provide them without you. Your generosity allows us to continue providing Assistance Dogs to everyone who needs or wants one. Thank you for your contributions and support of our work.

Kindest regards,

Michelle

Michelle Newman

Marketing and Media Relations

work: 612.729.5986 0#

Hearing and Service Dogs of Minnesota

www.hsdm.org

Here is a link that might be useful: HSDM site

Comments (8)

• chickadeedeedee
    16 years ago

Wow! I can't imagine the huge impact that would make for those children and their families either!

Them thar doggies sure are amazing. Some have the natural instinct and gift to just *know* certain stuff like who may be about to have a seizure or *know* that their person needs their help and they do it!

Great link. Thanks. :-)

• isis_nebthet
    16 years ago

I'm looking at this and think that as soon as I'm not renting again I should be a puppy raiser. If I can teach basic obedience to my wolfy doggies it would be easy and fun....

It would be nice to do something for others.

Adrea

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Adrea, You can't even know how much that would help! And there are many organizations that need people like you. There are a lot of people that can't imagine raising a puppy then giving it away, but what you'd be doing is giving the greatest gift each time 'your' puppy turned into the best friend and helpmate a handicapped person ever had...a chance for freedom, independence, peace of mind, and that unconditional love we all know.

Do what you can when you can :) ... God made ALL our dogs for many reasons....

Sarah

• youreit
    16 years ago

What wonderful news, Sarah! Thanks so much for sharing! Doggies sure are amazing, I agree. I hope this program grows to allow for all who need it to get assistance.

I hope you get to make your wish to help come true soon, too, Adrea!

Brenda

• sheepco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the video clip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sam and Reno

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

I have friends who have children with Autism and it is a disaster for the family. Help like this won't work for everyone but it must certainly be a huge help for the parents.
    I guess that I am having a problem with the idea that the numbers are so incredibly high. Since I have only a passing acquaintance with the problem I am finding it difficult to understand how it has become so prevalent in such a short time. Can anyone give me any information on this? Why haven't we heard about the numbers until now and why isn't the CDC announcing there is an epidemic? Sandy

• youreit
    16 years ago

Not sure how much it will help, Sandy, but I found the article below, which provides a couple theories behind what appears to be a rise in autism cases.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent Studies Show Autism Is Growing

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Wow, aren't dogs amazing? I had no idea they could be an assistance dog for the autistic.

Sandy, I know of three children born in the last five years that were autistic. But they are doing so much more for them now - it's still a struggle for the entire family but doesn't have to be a disaster.