Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragaria_gw

8 by 11 fott pond with small stream and falls

fragaria
17 years ago

My husband and I built this pond three years ago after discovering a kit with a skimmer and waterfall bio filter system. It solved most of the problems I foresaw with other pond systems. It is relatively easy to care for and I like being able to line the bottom with rocks. We can see it from our living room windows and walk by it when we enter and exit the house. It brings us joy every day of the year.

Comments (26)

• slook

very nice pond! beautiful!

• slook

• slook

• slook

• youreit
    17 years ago

Oops. Looks like you used cammo rocks. :D

(If you need help posting pics, just holler!)

Brenda

• fragaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, I am a photo rookie. Hopefully It will work this time.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:175753}}

• youreit
    17 years ago

There it is! I not only love your pond but the woodland setting, as well! Wow, the more I look at it, the more I get this feeling that I want to BE there. :)

It's a very special spot. Is that your driveway in the back? It must be a wonderful experience, driving through those trees and coming upon your woodland pond. *sigh*

Can't wait to see more pics!

Brenda

• fragaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You are so nice Brenda. Yes the driveway is right beind the pond. We have five acres of forest with a beautiful native understory. We have left it mostly untouched and have cut trails through the salal and huckleberries that meander around or end at a 'destination.' I was given a 2o' by 20' foot pond liner last year so that one destination will be a natural pond/bog at the lowest point of the property.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:175754}}

• fragaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are more pics now that I know how to link correctly.
    This is the pond dug and leveled. The skimmer and waterfall filter are in place.
    {{gwi:175755}}
    Here is the working pond. It had been going for about a two days.
    {{gwi:175756}}

• youreit
    17 years ago

What a difference 3 years can make! I simply LOVE the plants you've chosen to surround your pond. WA has one of the best climates I've seen for growing some of my favorites.

The stream is so pretty, and even though the use of rocks in the water in controversial, I really like the looks of it when done correctly. You started with a great palette, too. :)

Thanks for sharing a slice of paradise with us, Fragaria!

Brenda

• lavender50
    17 years ago

I love the natural look,You've done a super job. I bet you spend some time on that bench!

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing! It's so serene, I wouldn't get anything else done...just sittin' by the pond...ahhhh! Beautiful.

• fragaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are a few pics after a dusting of snow this morning.
    {{gwi:175757}}
    {{gwi:175758}}
    {{gwi:175759}}

• marthaye
    17 years ago

beautiful setting. Well done.

• sheepco
    17 years ago

VERY nice. I love how snow brings out the texture in a winter garden.

I STILL need to plant more around my ponds, tho my 'Autumn Joy' sedum is great for winter (and summer)durabilty.

• youreit
    17 years ago

I agree about the texture! So pretty. I hope you guys don't get TOO much snow out of that frigid low pressure system coming in from the far north! We're already getting freeze warnings for at least Friday & Saturday, possibly down into the teens. Brrrr!

Stay warm!

Brenda

• luvmypond
    17 years ago

You have a very beautiful pond!(I love your kitty in the one pic too)Don't you like how the lights around your pond will look at night when they get buried in the snow?I usually have to dig mine out so I can see where they are in the daytime.I have been known to step on them if I don't.But they look so pretty at night under the snow.

• fragaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

More snow this morning
    {{gwi:175760}}

• comettose
    17 years ago

Wow - all great photos! Your pond has a woodland look. Very pretty!

• fragaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

here are some spring pics of my pond. It is still chilly here in Western Washington. We haven't had many days over 50 for a while. Still the fish have been out a few times, and the plants are slowly leafing out.

{{gwi:175762}}

{{gwi:175763}}

{{gwi:175767}}

• youreit
    17 years ago

Gorgeous! One of my favorite ponds on this forum! I love how the grasses take over the job of looking pretty while the other plants play catch-up. :)

I just love all of your rocks and plantings. Hope it warms up for you soon!

Brenda

• nanahanna
    17 years ago

This is a gorgeous pond! You have done a wonderful job! I'll be glad when we finish ours...this is its 3rd year and it still isn't finished!

Nanahanna

• User
    17 years ago

It looks so natural, you've done a great job. Is the yellow flower a marsh marigold? It's really pretty.

• fragaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the nice compliments. I love to share my pond, as I am sure we all do. I wish that you all could come on over and see it up close and personal. I have gotten so much inspiration from all the wonderful postings on the garden web.

Yes the yellow flower is a marsh marigold. It truly is at it's best right now. I have to cut it down by the end of June, by then it looks terrible.

• busdriver12
    17 years ago

WOW!!!

• Jackie McCarty
    13 years ago

wow! that is amazing. i love the rocks.