Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burkie_45

Can I put a pond in my drainage easement?

burkie_45
10 years ago

I have a 35-40 foot wide and 100 foot long drainage easement in the back corner of my yard. In the middle of the easement is small ditch that is about 1 foot wide and 6 or 7 inches deep. The left side of that ditch going onto the outside edge of my property inclines to about 5-6 feet higher and the right side of the ditch inclines to about 2 feet higher. The steep side is so steep that I can't mow it (even if I could get a mower across the ditch in the middle of the easement and therefore it doesn't look very good.

I am considering trying to put a pond in the corner of my property (directly in the middle of the ditch and then have any overflow run on down the ditch like it is supposed to.

My questions are #1: Can I have a pond in the middle of a drainage easement. #2 It doesn't ever have much water flowing through it (never enough to go over the small ditch in the middle of the easement and usually it is just 4 or 5 inches of standing water in that ditch) but when it does have water flowing through it would that wash out the fish?

I have attempted to attach a survey of my property to help visualize what I'm talking about. If you can see the attachment I am lot number 9.

Comment (1)