Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving pond

Posted by mossybert wa (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 14:16

Moving pond to a better location--closer to the deck and way less maintenance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving pond

This is how i'm doing it this time. The long ditch is to drain ground water away from the bottom of the liner.

o

lay down liner...that's Albert.

o

I lifted up the sod around the edge and used some long galvanized nails to somewhat secure the liner in place.

o

I placed some coarse sand around the edge of the liner to make it level when I flipped the grass back over. Eventually, the grass will cover the liner better. Now I can just mow around the edge---no weeding!

o

2" PVC pipe for under gravel grid. I cut slots about every 2" with a chop saw. It worked very well.

o

This is the grid. I covered that with about 4 to 6" of washed drain rock.

o

Pumped water up from old pond.

o

I hooked up the pump temporarily while I return the old pond site to yard again and dig the other half of the new pond. There will be a bridge between the two ponds to make it appear like one pond. I will have a bulkhead connection between the two ponds, so water and fish can travel from one pond to the other.

o

The water level will be about 2" higher than what it is now. Next project will be to create the main waterfall where I piled all the dirt from this great dig. I will be creating all my own rocks from cement, sand and peat moss.

o

I think the fish are liking their new home. :)

o

I hope this helps some people and gives them some ideas. Happy ponding!!!

o

Mossy,
What? No more pic?
You have probably completed your pond by now, please post more pics.

o

I wasn't sure if anyone was interested, so I quit posting..lol.
Here are some more pictures. I'm actually getting to the main waterfall now, but I don't have pictures on this computer.

o

More rocks made from smaller rock piles.

o

The final spillway rocks. I don't really care for the way they look, but when water is flowing over them at 4500 gal/hr maybe they will look ok.

o

Water finally cleared when the plants kicked in. :)

o

Plants from the old pond.

o

The main waterfall taking shape. :)

o

This is the side view.

o

Mossy,
That is beautiful! All the work you are doing, you really love ponding. The rocks you made of cement look real too.
You are an artist.
Please post final pics!
I'm sure i am not the only one reading this, I have been following it.
It's beautiful!

o

I sure will! I hope to have the main waterfall going by this weekend. It has been so hot here lately that I find it's hard to motivate myself to go outside after work. Tonight I plan to hook up the pump. :)

o

Finally turned on!

o

Another night shot

o

View from the deck. The maple tree will be trimmed back a little if it survives having been transplanted.

The white stuff floating around is bubbles.

o

Starting the 2nd pond!

o

The top of the wooden steaks is the projected water level.

o

Reflection.....

o

Yay! Liners are connected together. :)

o

This is where I will be putting the bridge....right where the two liners are connected together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here