Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judy_lodin

Waterfall pond

Judy Lodin
17 years ago

I planted wood violets in front of the pond last fall and they look really healthy now.

{{gwi:176750}}

Comments (22)

• slook

very beautiful! love it! even like the giraffe looking out the window! lol!

• slook

• slook

• slook

• youreit
    17 years ago

That is a gorgeous setting, ladybug! Love the plantings you have in your falls, too! What are those wispy white things growing through the fence in the back?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Brenda

• Judy Lodin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Brenda. The white you see is a star jasmine vine in bloom. They really smell good, too. Here are some more pond pics that I have downloaded from time to time on Photobucket.....

{{gwi:176751}}
    {{gwi:176753}}

• TxMarti
    17 years ago

Oh that is so pretty. I love the way your waterfall spills around the big rocks.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Such a gorgeous setting! So lush and green - the bird houses and railing behind the pond - the blue, barn-shaped house behind...everything really works. I have star jasmine, too, and it's just getting ready to burst into bloom. Can't wait to smell it. :)

I'd love to know what the plants are in the falls! They're so pretty, like bonsai!

Brenda

• Judy Lodin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Brenda....though I could do without the barn-shaped structure over the fence!

The plants you asked about in the planting pockets on top are some kind of creeping juniper I think. They have been in there nine years now, so very hardy. I do add potting soil now and then.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Wow, they must get a lot of water and still look great! I just planted a Juniperus procumbens 'Nana' in my yard, but I'm thinking I'll get another and see how it does in my creek.

Thanks again for sharing your beautiful pond!

Brenda

• tcpd28
    17 years ago

How gorgeous! I love the whole setting. You're what I aspire my pond to look like. What state are you in?

• Judy Lodin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I live in an older suburb near Houston, TX.

• tcpd28
    16 years ago

Can I ask how many pumps you use to create this waterfall effect? I'm still oooing and awwwing over it. I live in KS.

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

This is absolutely beautiful. I'm looking to make a pond with a waterfall - and this is exactly what I want:-) May I pick your brain?

I have absolutely no pond experience. I want to put in a a pond with a waterfall in my yard.

1. do I need an electrical hook up? The spot I'm thinking of is far from the electric hookup.

2. Do I need plumbing running from the house to the pond?

3. My friend has a large kidney shaped pond and motor or filter he said I could have. What else do I need other than rocks?

Are there specialty companies that install/design these? How much would something like yours cost me?

I love the waterfall effect, I want to sit in my yard and hear the water coming off the waterfall.

I do not want fish (my crazy dog will eat them).

THanks
    Maureen

• Judy Lodin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in Houston, TX. The waterfall pond was put in almost 10 years ago now and is constructed of moss rock with the pond area cemented in. The water is circulated by a pump that is under one of the outside rim rocks. It is a Big John submersible sump pump made by Little Giant Pump company. I think you can get these at Lowes. It is an electric pump, so there must be access to electricty. The waterfall pond cost around $2000 I think, ten years ago. It was part of a big project in the backyard that included replacing the driveway, enlarging the patio, and landscaping, so my memory is a little foggy. Now, the problem with out setup is that it needs emptying and cleaning every month (or six weeks if you aren't too fussy about clean water). We use a pump to empty out the pond, plus a yard vac, then spray chlorox on areas that look like they need it. It takes an hour or two to do all this before refilling. We usually just empty it over the winter. It is pleasant to hear the water, and nice to look at, so all in all a worthwhile addition to the back yard. Hope this helps.

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

Thanks Ladybug. I really appreciate all of the info you gave me. I might have to wait a while before I have enough money for a pond like yours. I've been looking around at pics and yours is just perfect! I love it.

• txgdnr
    16 years ago

Thanks to all for your pond/waterfall enthusiasm, I am renovating to add a waterfall/stream to my existing 250 gal preformed pond. I have gotten a lot of great ideas from the GardenWeb.

Thx--Dianne

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

wonderful shots of a beautiful waterfall

Joann

• annedickinson
    16 years ago

I love your pond. I am helping a friend design a pond to be built in the spring. It will be small (maybe 4' across) but in looking at your pond, I came up with a great design idea. I don't know if she will like it, but I love it.

Make the pond round with a raised "island" in the middle with the sides of island like your waterfall. I'll post pictures of it to this thread if we make it this way. Even if we don't, it will be a great design idea to add to my pond notebook.

• moen
    15 years ago

Are these the little giant pumps you're talking about? If so, what's the difference between the automatic or the manuaL sump pump? What about the submersible versus non submersible?

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Giant Pumps

• comettose
    15 years ago

Your pond and surrounding gardens and building are super great looking. Great design. It must sound terrific!

• dottie527
    10 years ago

I am adding a fall to my existing pond I bought a Pond master 1000 since my pond is small. I would like to know how to install this in order to get the most "fall" to the feature. How do you get the water to "spill" over your large rocks. Should I bury the box down to the lip ? or have it out? I cant find any how to info out there . thanks so much !