Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skippy Construction - Photo heavy

Posted by pashta_2006 Z4 ADK NY (pashta@aol.com) on
Tue, Jun 1, 10 at 10:55

Well, we (this means my very patient BF did most of the work while I "helped")finally finished the Skippy Filter. Seemed to take forever (most of the Memorial Day holiday) however a good part of that was all the trips to Lowe's.

Here is the finished Skippy. I am going to wait to see if there are any leaks or other problems before I pondscape it. It's not pretty, but it appears to be working well.

Finished Skippy

Here's the process we followed:

Drilling holes for outflow to stream and bottom drain:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Making silicone gaskets for above holes:
Photobucket

Gluing elbow to bottom drain:
gluing bottom Drain

Leveling tub:
Photobucket

Outflow and bottom drain extensions glued on:
Photobucket

Bottom grate cut to fit with inflow from pump assembled:
Photobucket

Shut-off valve added to bottom drain extension. Filling to test for leaks. I am using a clorine filter:
Photobucket

OOPS! Silicone gaskets didn't totally work, so we are switching to Marine Epoxy, which did work:
Photobucket

Flat A/C filters lying on bottom grate:
Photobucket

Bags of scrubbies. They didn't fill the area so I got one more A/C filter and cut it up into pieces to wedge around the bags:
Photobucket

And that takes us back to the first picture which is the finished Skippy. As you can see from the green water, which I have had for 2 years, I really need the skippy. I am going to take pictures to record the improvement in clarity.

Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skippy Construction - Photo heavy

Great tutorial, Anne.

o

You two make it look so easy!!! Good job!

o

OMG Calamity.... it was not easy at all! Well, thankfully BF is so very handy... it took 3 days total off and on over Memorial holiday. We still want to make changes. The outflow made sense in my head but is unpractical in reality. We (meaning he) are going to make a lip-type of outflow that won't get clogged!!! Regardless of all the problems I've had, I love the skippy and am looking forward to things settling down. I just fished two tiny WH from the pond to put in there.
Anne

o

Great tutorial! Thanks for the pics and instructions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here