Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annedickinson

My pond in June 2013

annedickinson
10 years ago

My pond had turned greeen this spring but I was not well enough to deal with it. Finally in early June I was able to hook up the skippy filter and this is what it looked like in a few days. Even now I still can see the bottom clearly.
{{gwi:179611}}

I love that skippy filter. I don't do any maintenence to it. In the fall I drain it and leave the drain open all winter. In the spring I close the valve, fill it with dechlorinated water, hook the hose to the pump and throw the switch. The first winter I removed the filtering material but that was the only time.

{{gwi:179612}}

Here's the floating island. It survived the winter with flying colors. I left it in the pond to see what would happen. I wish I had designed it better, but it is what it is. I may take it out and make some modifications at some point.

{{gwi:179614}}

I can relax by the pond and stream. It is so great to just sit and watch the birds bathe, the insects and chipmunks coming for a drink, the water striders stealing bits of fish food and the fish themselves. I have 8 little lily leaves now and the plants around the pond are filling in.

Recently I was delighted to see a little visitor using the island. Unfortunately I don't often see the snakes so it was fun to see this tiny one on my island.:
{{gwi:179616}}

Happy Ponding to all.

Comments (7)

• User
    10 years ago

Pashta,
    What a beautiful pond! It is truly built nice.
    What a great pic of the snake, LOL!
    Personally, I don't like snakes, but you really captured him great in that pic.
    Do you have any frogs or toads yet?
    I see you have goldfish. Or a comet?
    I have a skippy too, or at least I call it a skippy and I put bating in it this year because the sponge is so old.
    It is doing the job OK.
    Your plants look like they are growing nicely.
    Congrats on your clear water and great pond!

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Butterfly. Once in a while a frog or toad will stop by, but I don't have a regular population of them, maybe because there is a river nearby. I have one orange comet and two black ones. Hopefully no babies this year.

• diggery
    10 years ago

Good to see you back up & runnin, Anne. Mr Snake looks quite comfy there. I'm thinkin he approves of your fancy island, and for good reason. I'm sure your little fella inside the pond is happy to have friends again:) Looks like you'll be bustin out in color in no time there if you aren't already by now.

take care,
    ~digger

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Digger,

The spiderwort was beautiful this summer. Hopefully I'll get a good crop of blossoms in the fall too. I have perenial geranium and other flowers too. Can't think of their names at the moment.

Anne
    PS Oh, yeah, yarrow and bee balm are two of them.

• delaney276
    9 years ago

Love the Snake!

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dave. How's your pond doing? Mine is limping along - literally. Well the pond isn't limping. I am. I have to have a knee replacement. I was going to pull out the pond, but I have two black adults and one or two black babies in there. So, I got some more polyester batting to put in the skippy filter and will get it up and running this weekend. I think I'll get a colorful fish to add since I can't see the black fish as a rule. I have a bullfrog about the size of a small piglet this spring. Haven't been able to sneak up on it to take a picture, but hopefully will be able to do so soon.

• PJrocks Benoit
    9 years ago

About a month or so ago, I found a black goldfish in my pond about 3" long. I read about it. Turns out they can revert to gold. The liner in my pond is black, and since he's native to that environment, he's black. I added turquoise, pale blue and white mixed pebbles from the pet shop, and my baby (Black Jack) is slowly turning orange more and more each day. He holds his own - eats the cooked cucumbers, shelled peas, frozen worms and shrimp right alongside his full colored elders. He's becoming more friendly now, and by George, I can see him now.

A new baby frog came along a few days ago to keep company to the other one. First year with the frogs. I have included one photo of my first frog. I did my research, and it's a female.