Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692433

My hole in the ground.

User
11 years ago

Always wanted a pond, so I dug a hole, bought a tarp, yes, a tarp because money is so scarce, and a biofilter, a small pond pump, some plants at Lowes for .25 ea because they were dead (they thought they were), 54.00 for a small amount of flat rocks and i have my cute little pathetic "pond". Hubby calls it a hole in the ground. Oh, I have 3 little goldfish too. Remeber, I know nothing about ponds except what you people have taught me. Thank god for this forum. Don't laugh.

{{gwi:179776}}

{{gwi:179783}}

{{gwi:179784}}

As you can see, there is a hill in back, I live on a giant hill, and mabey next year, I would like to get a preformed pond to replace the tarp and mabey try my hand at a waterfall, but I think the pump I have might not be powerful enough to lift the water too far, so that would be another expense to get a stronger pump.

The biofilter must have started to work, because the water is amazingly clear. Baby steps...my first try.

Thanks everyone!

Comments (14)

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

We all start with baby steps. You have done a good job for your first pond and the tarp should last long enough for you to be able to get a better liner or preformed pond.

As you learn more (sometimes sadly through experience as the different threads here mention) you will come up with new and different ideas for what you want.

It may be a "hole in the ground" but it is YOUR "hole in the ground" LOL

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Congrats on making it happen!!! I spent 5 yrs wishing before it actually happened and I learned so much from here too!!! Those are NOT dead plants, way to go!!!heh heh! And those are 3 spoiled fish!!! Heck you even have a waterlily!!! Ponds evolve!!! LOVE that gated arbor!!! YUP, you have created a little paradise!!!

• diggery
    11 years ago

Good job, butterfly! Nobody here's gonna laugh. You've obviously done your research - got all the right elements for your piece of paradise right from the start. Well done.

Gotta love those Lowe's Dead Plant Sales! Hubs used to just shake his head when I carted them home. Then one of my 'dead plants' topped 8' (ornamental grass next to the pond) and the head-shakin' stopped, lol.

• delaney276
    11 years ago

Looks like a good start to me.......

• Holly_ON
    10 years ago

My first pond was a pre-form from a garage sale. My backyard is currently almost filled with water! It is addicting.

• mvaussies
    10 years ago

Most of us start small. I've done 4, each one bigger & better. You have clear water, that's better than a lot of first tries.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is an update to my hole.
    The water isn't crystal clear, but you know what? I love it.
    {{gwi:179799}}

Can you see new little froggie by lilly?
    water hyacinth blooming now
    {{gwi:179805}}

• annedickinson
    10 years ago

Wow your lilies and hyacinth are blooming. I'm quite a while away from that, but the plants are getting bigger all the time.

Yes, I do see the frog. I wish I had a population of them. Every once in a while I'll have a frog or toad for a bit but no long time residents.

I agree with you. My pond is small and not well maintained but I love to just sit and relax and take a deep breath. I am the only one who spends time there and it is my little retreat.

• fnoyes219
    10 years ago

Love it....We started with a pool liner that my neighbor was replacing. We now have a beautiful pond thriving with koi.

• diggery
    10 years ago

Lookin good butterfly. I finally have a hyacinth bloom as well, or at least what's left of one after a sudden heavy downpour earlier. They don't seem to do that well for me...they live & bloom but do not thrive and multiply as others report. I'd blame it on the weird weather this year but it's been same for repeated years. I enjoy them tho so I keep replacing them.

My first lily bloom of the year appeared July 4th just as we were leaving for 10 days:( Now that I to attribute to the season, all things being equal. My first bloom last year was on Easter.

Thanks for posting an update. Love the froggie.

~digger

• darla84
    10 years ago

I check Craigslist in our area. I have bought a good deal of my pond equipment thru it and for next to nothing. If you check it once a day and respond quick enough you can get some fantastic deals... I contacted a guy that wanted his pond drained cause they are taking it out and I got an epdm liner that is about 20 x 25 ft and no holes cause it was full of water when we drained it. I have also gotten pumps on it too.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darla,
    Thanks for the tip of Cragis list.
    I'll keep my eyes open.
    Ponds can be expensive as everyone here knows, and I try to make my dollars stretch.
    Thanks everyone!

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I have used tarps since 1982!! Replaced it this March not because it was leaking but because the 4x4 had rotted lol I replaced it with you guessed it another tarp but went with sky blue this time ..
    It's 5x10 and 20 inches above ground but 3 foot total.. i recently built a marsh garden and used a regular liner mainly because all the plants are emergent and moved constantly. This little pond cost more than the larger for the liner lol gary

• Maggie4
    10 years ago

Great hole in the ground ! I have one too, and it's all mine ! Ponds are so much fun and a great way to learn. My only suggestion is it looks like you could add more water. Maybe it's just me.
    In my zone 4, I now have my goldies on my back porch in a tub. My pond is froze over. They will go back into the hole when the weather warms.
    Goodluck and keep on ponding ~

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm