Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annedickinson

Pond 2012 show and tell

annedickinson
11 years ago

We haven't had a good show and tell in quite a while. I'll start off:

My pond is a small 160 gallon "natural as can be pond" for being a preformed reptile tub.

{{gwi:180239}}

I let the plants grow wild on the far side and keep my fish-watching area clear. Right now the plants are a bit wilder than I want, so I have bought a few plants: globe thistle, wood betany, echinaca, lily, etc. They are sitting in pots waiting for BF to fire up his tractor to pull up two sumacs that I have cut down. Once they are gone, I will get rid of as much as I can of bittersweet vines and golden rod and ever present mint. Then the area to the left of the arborvitae will be ready for some "civilized" plants. You can see that the red lily is trying out its new home:

{{gwi:180240}}

Here's one mad frog!!! I put one of the potted plants down not knowing he was there. He jumped into the pond, then immediately climbed out on the rock and glared at me. I ran in the house to get the camera. By then he was on the ground but still was glaring!!

{{gwi:180241}}

This is one of the most exciting critters ever. I've wanted to see one for ages - Birds and Blooms mentions them frequently: a Clearwing Hummingbird Moth. This kind looks like a long bumblebee - about the size of a baby hummingbird. You can just barely make out the wings. They come out in the daytime. They sound like a hummingbird when flying. I sure did a happy dance on this sighting!

{{gwi:180242}}

Monarch on butterfly bush- always fun to watch but had to take a backseat to the hummingbird moth this summer:

{{gwi:180243}}

Mermaid just before spillway:

{{gwi:180244}}

Fabulous metal yard art (we got at a yard sale for $5) and bee balm:

{{gwi:180245}}

Skippy filter and stream. Unfortunately the hose broke, so I had to shorten it until I get a new one. Therefore it isn't hidden behind the arborvita and looks ugly! I haven't made the spillway for the skippy filter yet either so I still have the white pvc pipe. It works great but also looks ugly.

{{gwi:180247}}

The stream from the skippy to the pond:

{{gwi:180249}}

Last fall I moved all my fish except one black one I couldn't find to a friend's larger pond for the winter. So far this summer that poor fish has been all alone. Today I went to the friend's house and got two of my old fish - one comet and one black. Her husband had to get into the pond to catch them. So far I've only gotten a couple of quick glimpses of the comet (never can see the black ones) but don't have pictures.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor