Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sulfer water and fish?

Posted by jjaazzy 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 11:21

Property has what they call flow wells, one is free flowing into a large 1/2 acre pond. Don't know where others are right now have to investigate. Water smells like sulfur water, and the pond has a blueish tint to it. It was stocked with fish (so they say) by prior owners, but I guess they got sold off. They listed that koi, bass and some other kind of fish were in the pond.

What are your thoughts, can Koi live in this type of water? Can Koi be kept with bass? I'm thinking what if there are some left in there I don't know about. I would like to put koi in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sulfer water and fish?

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, Hawa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 13:44

Sulphur makes me think of volcanic activity, which (in my experience) makes for acidic water, so the first thing I'd do is test the pH. We use white coral sand in our ponds to neutralize the constant acidification.

After that, I'd try cheap mosquito fish; if they survive, move up to goldfish and eventually koi.

o

Thanks steiconi I have little test kits that I use for my current ponds and aquariums, do you think I would have to do a large water analysis and who would do that kind of thing? Central Fl is known for this type of stinky water, nice to know there is a counter balance with the coral sand and that sounds pretty too.

o

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, Hawa (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 21:25

I would expect that all the water in your pond would have similar pH, so a small test should be enough.

o

I have alot of experience with this here is a link that might help you. Pay attention to the aeration part. There is a build up of methane gas and the pond needs to be aerated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabelmans Gardens blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here