Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

External Pump Repair

ademink
12 years ago

I have a Sequence 7200prm23 external pump that I use to power my bottom drain/ultima filter.

It has been in service for about 2.5 years but is around 5 or 6 yrs old (was purchased new...took forever to do BD project ...sigh).

Of course the sucker is grinding and no longer pulling water at the end of this season but out of warranty.

What type of place would I take it to in order to have it fixed? I don't want to ship it back to MDM for repair...the shipping is astronomical.

I figured I would take it somewhere locally....but I don't know what type of place to take it to. A small machine repair place or...??

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

Comments (9)

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Hi ademink,

Does the Sequence pump have a Baldor motor on it. The noise that you are hearing is the bearings. If I had to guess it is the back bearing turning in the end cap. If this is the case than the bearing and end cap have to be replaced.
    Mike

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello my friend, Mike! Happy New Year! :)

I'm not sure if it has a Baldor motor...how can I tell?

Yes, it sounds like bearings. Is this something that I can replace myself? I'm fairly handy if I know what I'm doing. lol

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Happy New Year Andrea,

The motor should have a name plate on the side of it.

Can you change the bearing and end cap? Yes. You would need a 3 or 4" gear puller, a needle nose pliers, a 5/16" socket and wrench, a short length of 3/4" steel pipe, a hammer, and small amount of lock tight. You would also need the new parts.
    Mike

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

............um.........I'm sorry, I think I just went blind. ROFL

I said I was handy, not Tim the Toolman. LOL

Ok, so that being said...do I call a machine shop, or what? :D

• mike_il
    12 years ago

I would think you would either have to take it to a motor repair or pump repair. The problem is that pump repair is going to take completely apart and replace the seals and front bearing also plus a lot more time. A motor repair is only going to want the motor. When everything can be done without taking anything a part except for the end cap. It can be done without even removing the pump from plumbing.
    Mike

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok...i'm going to wait until it's not 50mph winds and i'm going to check this thing out. i bet i could do it...although the puller thing has me stumped...?

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Is this pump still running and how long has it been making noise?
    Mike

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It runs (turns on, makes noise) but doesn't pull water...if that makes sense. It started making noise on and off in Sept. and in October it was making a LOT of noise and stopped actually pulling water (which i guess technically means it no longer works)

• mike_il
    12 years ago

The question has to be why the pump isn't pulling in water. The bearings being bad would not have anything to do with the pump not pulling in water. Yes a bad bearing can cause the impeller to wear the diffuser but that normally takes some time and it doesn't sound like it ran that long. Is this pump above the pond level? Not having taken any of the newer Sequence pumps apart I don't know for sure that isn't something else could go wrong inside. But I doubt that there is anything different inside this pump compared to other pumps.
    Mike