Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Need some help with winter goldfish tank!

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

Greetings, have 11 goldfish of various sizes in a 150 gallon stock tank in the basement, with small filter and 350 gph pump (actual turnover rate is prob more like 250 gph). The idea was that theyd be dormant at temps of 40-50 degrees until March/April, when I could put them outside in the big pond. Last year I had them divided into 2 groups in two tanks, one 150 and the other 125, and everything was fine - this year I thought why not combine into 1 tank. Things were ok at 40-45 degrees, but now that the house is hotter the basement is now more like 50-55 (due to tenant complaints about being cold temp has been raised, so that the rest of the house is now very overheated )

Unfortunately now the fish are awake and active. They were hungry so Ive fed some peas and SMALL AMT of cold water fish food every couple of days. I just got an ammonia reading of .5 (lowest green, but still cause for concern) I just added some Nite Out and doing small 10% water changes weekly but wondering if yall had any suggestions about how I can manage this until spring. I can get another set up for next winter and/or this tenant will be gone, just hoping I can make do for another few weeks. Also some suggestions would be appreciated for what to get for filtration & tank for winter.
THANKS

Comments (4)