Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some help with winter goldfish tank!

Posted by kashka_kat z4 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 13:43

Greetings, have 11 goldfish of various sizes in a 150 gallon stock tank in the basement, with small filter and 350 gph pump (actual turnover rate is prob more like 250 gph). The idea was that theyd be dormant at temps of 40-50 degrees until March/April, when I could put them outside in the big pond. Last year I had them divided into 2 groups in two tanks, one 150 and the other 125, and everything was fine - this year I thought why not combine into 1 tank. Things were ok at 40-45 degrees, but now that the house is hotter the basement is now more like 50-55 (due to tenant complaints about being cold temp has been raised, so that the rest of the house is now very overheated )

Unfortunately now the fish are awake and active. They were hungry so Ive fed some peas and SMALL AMT of cold water fish food every couple of days. I just got an ammonia reading of .5 (lowest green, but still cause for concern) I just added some Nite Out and doing small 10% water changes weekly but wondering if yall had any suggestions about how I can manage this until spring. I can get another set up for next winter and/or this tenant will be gone, just hoping I can make do for another few weeks. Also some suggestions would be appreciated for what to get for filtration & tank for winter.
THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some help with winter goldfish tank!

Hi
I maintain a 150 in the house year around with GF. I use a 350 GPH filter system but mostly depend on water changes I change about 100/125 gallons every week or so replacing with tap water using prime dechlorinator..
Room is always kept above 70 as I use it for plants during cold spells. GF are very messy so water changes are very necessary gary

o

Wow -so that's like a 70% water change ev week. Well actually that might be the way to go since I don't think the beneficial bacteria are active at 40-50 degrees (are they?) - so how else could I get rid of the ammonia except for water changes. There's the ammonia neutralizer but Ive never quite trusted that stuff - you cant rely on ammonia tests after using it so how are you supposed to know the ammonia is really gone. thnx

o

Hi

Id o that mainly because of the temps . GF do much better in cooler water which also maintains higher oxygen levels.
Assume you;'re using tap water for changes?? In my case have a pH of over 8 heavy chlorination as well as some heavy metals b ut Prime handles that easily Have you checked tap water for ammonia?? Some cities use chlomine as a stabilizer which can result in ammonia..
I use that regimen because I keep the temps so high
.If you keep it cooler you could use a lot less. But if no ammonia in the tap you can change as much as you like
using the prime . gary

o

We've kept koi (babies) in a tank over the winter and did aggressive water
changes each week. The tank was in our house, so they were active
all winter...we fed them everyday.
We stored water in gallon water jugs and after a couple of days, changed out the water. We did this at least twice a week...resulting in at least 50 percent
water changes per week ( maybe more) The water was always crystal
clear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here