Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

$5,000 for a pond?

aggierose
13 years ago

Just curious if this is a rip off or not. A local company said they would charge me $5000 to build me a 8 x 11 pond with a waterfall. It would be 24 inches deep. I was told that price would include everything but the plants and the fish. My husband absolutely will not participate in building this for me, and me digging the hole, well, that just isn't going to happen so having someone do it for us is the way we will have to go. What questions do I need to ask the pond company about what they are including in this price? I want to make sure I get a good quality pond without getting ripped off.

Thank you!

Comments (21)

• flora2b
    13 years ago

Don't know about price, but are you physically not able to build the pond yourself?
    My husband also did not participate, but that didn't stop me one bit.
    Being in Texas do you need to consider overheating of the water? I would think 2 feet if you plan to have fish is too shallow.
    Digging was the easiest part for me.
    Thinking about some of the process:
    Where and who is looking after the dug out dirt?
    What type of pump - internal vs external?
    Type of liner - PVC or Rubber?
    Does this include a skimmer? A filter system? A waterfall? A plant ledge?
    Will this have rocks only around the perimeter? How will you finish this? What type of rocks?
    A float system to maintain water level due to evaporation?
    How far away does the utilities need to be?
    The questions are endless.
    Sorry I can't help with price, but if you know exactly what they are providing you can price out costs to get a better sense of value.
    And lastly if you are physically able, don't be afraid to go it alone and only hire help with those things you don't have the expertise for.
    Flora

• herodhobert-2010
    13 years ago

It does not take much to dig a hole. just one shovel full at time. Take a break if you need to. Seems you would paybig bucks to someone else to do what you could do unless you are physically not able to. Hire some neighbor hood kid to shovel for you and go to wallmart, menards, lowes or home depot to get what you want to pretty up your pond. My 15 year old son hand dug two 10 x10 ft ponds with two streams from the upper pond that joined together at the lower pond. $200 bought a pump that pumped water from the lower one to the top one. Gravity returns the water through the 2 streams via water falls on the upper pond. The two liners cost about$60 each. cement and woven nylon fenceing to keep the cemented streams intact was about $75. The rocks were from my property. A good filter might cost $25 to $100 ? I just use old panty hoses on the waterfalls to clean the water.Actually the treated deck around all this cost more than the ponds. The ponds can support fish also. Pay the kid to do the hard work at a much lower price.

• Ella5
    13 years ago

I hope you weren't upset by the responses. From reading here, it seems most ponders are do-it-yourselfers. The satisfaction of having made a thing of beauty, an environment that supports life, is a joy.
    When I was 22, a sweet young thing, I built a house. I was in the grocery store with a friend who introduced me to another of her friends, saying, "Ella just built a house."
    The woman looked down her nose at me and said, " You mean your HUSBAND built a house."
    OOOH the pleasure. I smiled at her and said, "No. I'm not married. *I* built my house." The woman glared a few seconds, turned on her heel and walked away.
    We laughed.
    Now, I'm 67, single again, and moving from one house to one with a pool. I have severe respiratory health issues, but am moving things in my van, a few boxes at a time, those that I can lift. It's marvelous exercise, and makes it (overall) easier to breathe. I can move almost all of my belongings: I have four big, heavy pieces that I will have to hire moved. As I was moving cupboards this morning, it occurred to me that the movers will probably have a minimum charge, whether a couple of hours or a dollar amount. I will find out on Monday, then maybe leave the rest of the cupboards for them, too.
    There is a pool there, but I hope to put in a gravel filter over the summer. I plan to do as much as that that I can. It involves moving lots of concrete blocks from about 20 to 40 yards, then the gravel...I don't know what I can do. Even now, with the little that I've done, it's a little easier to breathe today.
    Consider doing what labor you can yourself. You will experience even MORE pleasure from the finished product. And who knows, maybe your husband will see your glow of accomplishment and want some of his own.
    Or, maybe you will get to grin and say, "No. I did it myself." when someone says, "You mean YOUR HUSBAND did it."

I still, after all these years, get pleasure from that incident.
    Ella

• larryl
    13 years ago

The $5,000 pays for labor, a lot of running around to gather parts, AND the expertise to build it right the first time. You can hire the labor. You can do the running around. The question is do you have the expertise? You can read books and learn enough to do it yourself, but you have to take the time to figure it out.

If you decide to hire someone, try to get one or more additional bids. The best measure of if you are getting ripped off can often be found by seeing what others are willing to do the same job for.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I built mine for about $2500. and had my friend help me, I scored a great deal on the rock from a 5 min. drive down the road($20/trailer load) and had the guy who was putting up my fence to dig it with his machine, 6w x 10long x 40"deep...

{{gwi:177878}}

{{gwi:214530}}

It is in a raised garden bed so I like that cuz my small dogs are safe!

• mgeca
    13 years ago

Before you make a decision, ask for references on ponds they have built, take a look, talk with the owners, find out what is included or not, and if they feel they got bang for their bucks. Find a reasonably close pond group, if possible, and you will get good advice.

I contracted the pond excavation to my specs and the rest was DIY with great help from this forum and a friend. I could have done the digging but not the removal uphill of the mountain of excavated material.

What you feel is best for you is what matters. Just look before you spend. You are embarking on an exciting journey. Good luck, let us know what you find out and what you intend to do.
    Mike

• aggierose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd like to explain my situation a little bit as I feel I may have come off as an incredibly lazy person. I don't think I could dig the hole if I wnated to. The soil where I live is very, very hard clay and it has taken me over an hour just to dig a hole large enough to plant a 3 gallon plant. However, I don't want to do it myself. As a previous poster mentioned, I would like to hire someone to build it the right way so I am not constantly having to re-do it. Also, I have triplets who will turn 2 next week. They keep me very busy and I don't have all the time I need to research the correct way to do this. To make the situation harder, one of my triplets passed away 2 weeks ago from a very rare terminal genetic disease called Leigh's Syndrome. Right now, I just want a beautiful place to sit and relax and enjoy some fish. I really just want to make sure I don't get ripped off in the process. I think I will ask the store to provide me with a detailed list of what the 5K includes and post it here to at least get some feedback as to the quality of the pump, liner, etc.

• meganmca
    13 years ago

I've not priced them, but that sounds about right to me, if it's good components, at least (I'm figuring double what I've spent doing it DIY).

And, I'm so sorry to hear about your child! I can see why you'd want a tranquil space, for sure.

But--have you considered safety? A 2 yr old can drown in 24 in of water (and older kids can, too, of course, but toddlers/preschoolers are particularly...kids!).

Also, from listening to others on this forum, there's a fair amount of maintenance involved in a pond, if you want clear water (leaf removal, water changes, potentially, for the fish, spring & fall cleanups). Though you can pay for those, too, probably from whoever is building the pond?

I don't think there's anything wrong with paying someone else to do stuff--life seems to be a trade off for money/time, for everything! Me, I dug my pond, but I pay for other things, like electricians!

• shakaho
    13 years ago

The price is reasonable, but you should insist on at least 3' deep. It keeps the temperature more even and gives your fish a chance against predators.

• jjaazzy
    13 years ago

Aggierose, I am so sorry to hear about your loss and when I read it I said to myself oh gosh get it done you need an escape. However, I am a research freak and can�t resist the urge to tell you to do the same. I would do as much research as you have time for and just look at pictures and keep your yard in mind as how you want it to look. Do you have a roadway that you want it to be a focal point for or do you want it to face the house. Research as much as you can and at least get the look you want. And as an other poster suggested get other quotes. Heck get 10 quotes, one thing when people come to look at the space and discuss it with you they will give you ideas on how they see the space and what they feel would look best. You will learn a ton from that. Discuss homemade filters with them, you don't need to spend a whole lot on filters. When we put our first pond in we made one and now years later we don't have one at all and the water is clear and healthy. However we have what you call a veggie filter. The pond pumps water from the main pond around to a small rock water fall that spills into a small upper pond that we keep greens in as well as the water flows thru that it is filtered. Does this 5k include plants and rocks? I agree with the other poster for your area you might want to go deeper. I didn�t dig the hole for mine either I had help from a laborer friend and my parents we all worked together one after noon. But mine is small. At was a lot of fun designing all the plantings and it is ever changing.
    But just do a lot of searches and look for pictures an pick up the knowledge along the way. Also there are probably nurseries in your area that specialize in ponds. And turn to the folks here on this site they are so helpful they will help steer you in the right direction. Again I am sorry for your loss and maybe other then your little ones it would be good for you to have a distraction.

• Ella5
    13 years ago

I am terribly sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Ella

• chemgeekponder
    13 years ago

I'm very sorry for the loss of your child.

I have a 14' x 18' pond (at the midpoint it is 4' deep) with a stream and waterfall. that I built myself, but I did it over a few months, and had some help from friends and neighbors. I was 45 when I started it. The cost was probably about $3800, of which $1800 was the rocks. The remaining $ went to the liner, filters, pumps and plants. I agree with the other ponders- although I purchased filters (and eventually a big bio filter) I later removed them and added a Skippy (self made) filter, and my water was much clearer. If I ever build another one, I would rent equipment to do the digging. It is a very tranquil place.

• erniem
    13 years ago

I'm not sure how NY and TX labor compare, but hired on for a brick patio laid on sand here about the same size as your pond. They only had to dig a few inches but had to buy all that brick. We paid the same, $5000. So the cost doesn't seem out of line to me as long as they give you everything the pond needs. Liner, pumps, rocks, and some sort of leakage warranty.

I dug my own ponds when we got an 80 gallon and 200 gallon plastic liner free. Took me a weekend to dig and grade. They sit side by side with a bridge over the dirt between so it looks like one large pond, and it keeps me happy.

As my fish grow I think I need a bigger pond. They had their own babies!

And I am very sorry for your loss. God bless you.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I too send prayers for you and your family for healing and encouragment. I like the suggestion of a raised, even partially raised one...I have grown children, but I have small dogs I worried about, but then my BFF came up with the idea of using my raised garden bed, and I sooo enjoy it! I can sit right on the ledge to do things in the pond...like feed my goldfish(I have only goldfish, as they are low maintenence) DEF what everyone else has said, it has created a place I LOVE to go out to for my "me" time in the mornings!! I think that a lot of people end up revamping parts of their pond after anyways, so GO FOR IT!!!heh heh! Oh ya, I agree with having it a bit deeper too. Even if it means a bit smaller of a pond cuz of using the same size liner, I'd go deeper. I also use milk crates to set the lilies on so have straight sides(no planting shelves) to keep critters(racoons/herons) out. I hope you post your info for us to help!

• blessedfamily
    13 years ago

Hi I just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss and I am praying for you and yours..as for the price I think that is reasonable considering they are doing everything..my local pond company charges about the same for that size pond....I say if you have the money go for it but ask for references,pictures etc and tons of different quotes. As for you having little ones I have two that are 5 and 7 and have had my pond for 4 years now, I think with anything you just have to supervise your children/pets when around the pond. My kids now sit on the edge and let the fish nibble on their toes,they love watching the dragon flies,frogs and fish..it is very peaceful and I think you will love it once you jump in :) Would love to see pictures if you decide to get one,have a blessed day .

• sdavis
    13 years ago

Try advertising 'help wanted' on craigslist and your community message boards, theres likely to be umpteen semi retired gardeners, landscape workers in your area who would be well able to tackle a straightforward pond and waterfall installation at a fair price

If you specify the size and features you want you can shortlist candidates by e-mail responses

I would have thought $4000 (allowing for $1000 materials) a bit lavish for what is a weeks work

• greenthumbzdude
    13 years ago

seems overpriced if you ask me. If you want to try building it yourself I recommend wetting the area with a hose for a while to loosen the hard clay, then digging the hole. You dont have to do the project in one shot, take your time. IF you make a cement pond it would be alot cheaper. You live in Texas so you shouldn't have as many problems with it cracking as people in the north do.You could build the whole thing for like 300-500 dollars. The most expensive thing would be the filter.

• chas045
    13 years ago

$5K seems high to me also, but I did most of it by myself. But I have to completely agree with you about the digging. I also have hard red clay. It took me several days (stopping when exhausted) with a pick and mattox to dig a 18" square hole for a useless dog poo disposal system. The pond would have been impossible without equipment. I had a local company with a mini ditch witch multipurpose machine do much of the digging for me. I believe they charged $50/hour and I used them for 4 hours to move lots of dirt and compost around several places as well as digging two pond areas. You might not be able to find that machine (bucket, scoop, and trencher) but you could find a neighbor to rent something or 2 somethings to get the job done for less than $200 for rentals plus whatever for labor.

That should leave you with $4.5k for everything else and except for stone (if necessary)all other items should be way under the low hundreds. In my particular case, I gathered my own stone (but that may be beyond your abilities) and I included a 25' stream with plants that I believe does almost all of my filtering for me. I built my own small skippy filter but I don't think it does much. I have clear (chemically tested high quality) water, frogs, 3 gold fish that have turned into 15, and other healthy animal life. So my total expenses were a $200 pump, $200? for liner, some pvc and flex pipe/hose and fittings. I don't have uv light, skimmer or anything else. My total costs must be well under $1000. The pond is approx 5' X 10'.

• mike_il
    13 years ago

I build ponds for a living. 5K could be expensive or it could be cheap for a pond that is 8 x 11 x 2 ft deep. If I had to guess what you have been quoted is a water garden that will have a skimmer with a submersible pump that will pump 3000 gph. The waterfall will be made up of a 18 to 24" waterfall box with a fall that will be close to the pond. The liner will be 45 mil EDPM liner with underlayment. Plumbing will be either 1.5" or 2" flex PVC with a check valve on the pump. The entire pond will be covered with rock. The only filter will be the waterfall box. The dirt removed for the pond will be used for the berm around the waterfall box. Depending on the size of the crew used to build the pond it will take one to two days. This is based off the quoted price. If this is what is quoted then I would say that the price is about average. What to do next? Ask this contractor for the names and phone numbers of three other ponds that he has done. Call each of these pond owners and ask to see their ponds. If you like the work that you see ask if they have had any problems. Ask as many questions that you can think of. Also check and see if there are any BBB complaints online.
    Mike

• ymaddox
    13 years ago

may be good therapy to dig that pond and let them 2 yr olds get to looking like linus :). so sorry about your loss my heart goes out to you.

• pat_c
    13 years ago

Obviously we all have our opinions! I think the best advice is to ask the builder for a list of other ponds he has built in the area. Then, go see them and talk to the owners about their experiebce. Not only will that satisfy your concerns for his legitimacy but also give you ideas for your pond. Building a pond is a very large undertaking under the best of circumstances. I know because I built 2 about the size you want. If I had had the money, I would have hired it out! ALso, doing it yourself would take lots of time! Having a builder do it in a few days would be worth it. They have the equipment and the expertise. So, while we all mean well, we're not living in your shoes. Do what's best for you. Just do your homework so that you are pleased with the results. Good Luck!