Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting tilapia out of a pond

Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, Hawa (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 14:00

I accidentally caught a young tilapia in my goldfish tank yesterday (I was aiming for a young goldie).

I think the baby tilapia may have been moved in with a group of mosquito fish, and I'm worried there are more; I don't want adult tilapia in there eating the baby goldies.

The tank is about 40" high, holds about 4000 gallons and visibility is only about a foot, so it's hard to find fish, much less catch them.

Any suggestions on getting rid of the tilapia? Do I have to empty the tank? Yikes! We're on water catchment, and it would take a pretty good storm to refill the tank.

Maybe I should concentrate on catching the goldfish, moving them to another tank, then empty this tank to get rid of the tilapia.

Any magical solutions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting tilapia out of a pond

I'd try while feeding. Hopefully, they'll be distracted by the food and won't notice the net.

o
RE: getting tilapia out of a pond

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, Hawa (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 13:03

That's what I've been doing, but they're too darn fast for me. Maybe if I starve them for a day or two...but that seems cruel.

I've been trying to come up with something that would work like a seine net, just sweep the population of the entire tank into a small area and remove the unwanteds (I move them to the tank with the rest of the tilapia, which I don't have the heart to eat).

Edit: Actually, I'm too squeamish to kill the fish. If somebody gave me fillets and said, "these are from your pond" I'd be fine eating them.

This post was edited by steiconi on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 3:37

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here