Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_695743

Need First Lady Lotus for Spring???

tommyc
11 years ago

I've been growing lotus in a 45 gallon tub on my deck (Metro Detroit, Livonia MICHIGAN) for years now. Each year I bought a First Lady Lotus from Perry's water gardens. For the last two years they did not have one for me. For the last two summers, I've tried, Giant Sunburst and Mrs Perry Slocum. Neither of them have bloomed. I haven't had a blooming Lotus since the summer of 2010 (First Lady). Normally Perrys would send them to me the first week of MAY... I would have 12 blooms a summer and discard the tubers in Fall... and start over each spring. Its not like I haven't been successful with this method, it just seems like I can't get anything else to work for me. Can anyone help me in getting good First Lady Tubers by last week of April or 1st of May. If you can point me to a reliable seller I would appreciate it very much. Perrys Water Gardens were reliable, I can't count on them any longer. I'm lost without a blooming First lady this summer.

Take a look at some of my pics and you can see why I'm lost without them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/area53/ Look to the right and see the Heavenly Lotus & Summer Photos. Click on it and then click on the pics you want to see in your browser or click on the 'Slideshow' icon on the top right to see a nice up close slideshow.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/area53/

Comments (8)

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Hi-
    Try googling - ""First Lady" lotus"". There are other sellers out there. For reliability, you could check "Dave's Garden" for feedback on the vendor.
    Beautiful pics. I just may need one of these, too. What would you say a fair price would be?
    Gail

This post was edited by monet_g on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 13:33

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Tom,
    I may have jumped the gun in my response. After doing a search, I'm seeing that "First Lady" isn't currently offered on many sites. More interestingly/importantly, the few sites I do see her on don't have a review on Dave's Watchdog. Seems some are start-ups and/or have a name change.

One thing that did intrigue me is that "FL" was highlighted on one Garden Pond newsletter. Not rated, but highlighted and that, in my mind, is a type of endorsement, as well as your interest.

I guess what I'm saying is that I, too, would love to hear other member's input.

Gail

• tommyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I paid $35 plus shipping from Perrys. It is a very nice lotus to grow. I have so many pics of mine. Each fall I would have so many roots. I felt guilty tossing them in the garbage. Now I wish I had some. I sent some to a frend in Hawaii who has a pond. Maybe I should ask her to send me some in Spring. Would be nice to have one of my old lotus back.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

I was a bit surprised that you replaced her every year. Not just because of the cost, but because of the growth. The larger the tuber the more flowers. I overwinter some of my pond plants (colocasia) in the basement for those reasons.

You should contact your friend. I know water lilies outgrow their space/pots and have to be divided and I would think the same of lotus. It would be a shame if your friend is throwing them away. If you do so and have extra, please let me know. I'm only about 20 mins. from you. I'd be glad to help out on the shipping costs from Hawaii and/or trade a pond lily.

Gail

This post was edited by monet_g on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 10:17

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

We live in zone 7, I see Tommy that you're in zone 5-6...
    Our Lotus is the original lotus a forum member sent
    me many ponding moons ago.
    Our lotuses are in big pots that are buried ground level
    next to the pond. In the fall we cut then down and place on top of the pots large plastic bags filled with leaves.
    This help protect the lotus from the elements in the winter.
    In early spring we uncover the lotus and they begin to spring up again.
    Joann

• tommyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still Looking for A first lady Lotus Supplier. I've left messages and emails with Perrys Water Gardens and I do not get any answers. In 5 weeks I normally plant these... I'd hate to be without them again this summer. That will be 3 summers without and 4 years since my blooms.

• cherokee_joeshoeboot
    11 years ago

Don't know if you've done a search or not. I typed "first lady lotus" in the URL line of my browser and found several sites that list this lotus for sale for 2013. I can't speak to their reputation just that they have the plant. One of them is in Canton, OH so they should be able to get you one fairly quickly. Prices at the sites I visited ranged from 32.00 to 40.00 dollars. Hope this helps a little.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    11 years ago

Tommyc!! I'm so glad you are posting again. It has been a long time. Welcome back. Your lotus photos were and are exquisite.

Hope you find your First Lady.

Sleepless